Biz-R-OWorld 2017 Season

BizCT

Unless you have a physical body characteristic that is unique to a buck, it would be hard to prove those 2 deer are the same a year later just because both lack one brow tine. 

True but I only get 2-3 bucks per year on cam and they always around from July - hunting season. The basket 7-8 was not killed in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz, he a 6 pt with no brow tines?

See above pics from yesterday. 1 definite brow so Big 7 right now, unless an extra point or two is there after growth and velvet comes off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

True but I only get 2-3 bucks per year on cam and they always around from July - hunting season. The basket 7-8 was not killed in 2016.

Its definitely a possibility, just hard to prove they are both the same deer based upon those photos.

• Like 1

Went to flying arrow sports in Carmel today.

91b306d4f7c29718505132ab0de236fd.jpg

Was there for about 2 hours trying different bow. 60lbs definitely felt a pinch in my separated shoulder and it popped twice. The guy looked at me like wtf and thought I broke my arm. I explained my situation with my arm, shoulder blade, and collarbone not being connected. Anyway, 50lbs felt real good and I was able to shoot a bunch with different bows, different rests, sights. I figured I would want a 1 pin sight and I was right. I went in with open mind on bows and just wanted what felt best and smoothest draw. The halon6 wasn't great for me. It was down to a hoyt (forget the model) and a Mathews called HTX which was the smoothest for me. Once that was decided I went nuts on everything else:

Mathews HTX 50-60lbs set at 50lbs in Lost Camo color. With this bow I'm 28" Draw length.

HHA single pin sight with the dial on side for yardage change

Mathews Ultra Rest in lost camo

Camo bowsling

Beestinger 8" stabilizer

Tru Fire Release Camo that folds

Victory Gamer Rip 400 arrows

SlickTrick 100 Gr broadheads

Lumenoks, field points, kisser button, peep sight, and a cool bowstand so I don't have to make another hole in the wall to hang my bow.

They are setting everything up, cutting my arrows, etc. I'll go back today or next weekend to final try my setup and take home.

• Like 5

Good choice on everything! Just wait until you see the hole them sliktricks put in critters!

Thx! Yea I was looking for something similar to the Excalibur Boltcutters that I'm used to I using with xbow and they looked pretty good.

Welcome to the dark side! Now you can enjoy some fair weather bow hunts. 

Thx! Yea I won't feel obligated to get out every Saturday in November now. The big thing for me is all the buck pics I get midday in October that end late October, now maybe I can get them before they change routines.

• Like 3

Awesome Biz! Sounds like you made out real good! And I think you got a great set up! You did right by choosing what felt good and comfortable, and not the fastest and most radical. Welcome to the blood brotherhood of bow hunters!

No hot pink, I mean salmon, accessories? ........grin.

Awesome Biz! Sounds like you made out real good! And I think you got a great set up! You did right by choosing what felt good and comfortable, and not the fastest and most radical. Welcome to the blood brotherhood of bow hunters!
No hot pink, I mean salmon, accessories? ........grin.

Sometimes I have to be a grown up lol.

• Like 3

Now the question is what days do I take off from work? I'm limited to 2 allowed in November and unlimited in October.

I already took off Mon 11/6 and Mon 11/20 since I always take the Monday after xbow opener and Monday after shotgun opener.

So I'm thinking with compound bow, I'll take 10/2 10/3 and then 10/30 and 10/31?

We see the most bucks between 10/29 and about 11/10.  

Honestly Biz, if limited stack the days towards end of Oct not Oct 2-3.  Early season bucks are rare and you really only have a decent chance at last light. IMO. If you had one patterned an early shot is worth it, otherwise late oct is much better 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

Yup, the last week in October,  is always better for shot opportunities at bucks, if that is what you are looking to shoot. Early October, is a good time to target unpressured doe. At least that's what I've seen in my neck o the woods. And of course all properties can vary on when and where deer may be moving.  Prime time for the big guys here, is centered on November 11th. based on my observations of hunting the same properties for decades. Regardless of when ya go, wishing you much success in your first bow season! Git-R-Done Biz!

• Like 3

Bucks can be much more patternable in early season if you are on the right food source. If you are getting good daylight activity on cams through sept. it might be worth a shot. Past two years I've punched my tag on 10/15 and 10/2 and have high hopes to repeat again this year. Plus, early season mounts are much prettier than during gun season...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 2