Biz-R-OWorld 2017 Season

BizCT

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a detachable quiver, i take it off and hang it on a hook when on stand. But seeing that bag is making me rethink my entire process

haha, in all seriousness that's what I currently use with xbow. It's detached and in my HUNTING bookbag. I lay it next to me in ground blind. A compound is obviously faster to shoot a second time than an xbow, so I think a similar approach will be fine. I just wasn't sure if the arrows for the compound would fit in the xbow quiver.

• Like 1

This has me thinking about another question now. In the ground blind, should I have a hook to hang my bow in the blind? with the xbow I either have it across my lap or leaning against me. When I hunt on ground with just makeshift stick in front of me, I assume I will just lay it across my lap. Is this what most guys do?

I just hold onto my bow, hardly ever use a hook unless I'm getting in or out of the stand. On the ground I just set it down if I need to or hang it on a branch. The very few times I have used a ground blind I set it on my lap.

Less chance of getting busted if you aren't having to reach for the bow in any situation.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I just hold onto my bow, hardly ever use a hook unless I'm getting in or out of the stand. On the ground I just set it down if I need to or hang it on a branch. The very few times I have used a ground blind I set it on my lap.

Less chance of getting busted if you aren't having to reach for the bow in any situation.

Agree- makes sense, thanks.

So I just got the OK this morning to hunt a small parcel (approx. 6 acres) a few miles from my house in Westchester. It's my wife's bosses boss who just moved there last year and dislikes all the animals/deer she sees in her woods/yard. I didn't go last year since I only had xbow and couldn't hunt it, so I will probably go there within the next few weeks to walk the property and check it out.

Here's what it looks like. Pretty decent sized wooded area for Westchester and near some other decent tracts of land for this area. Makes me wonder how many treestands i'll find in there. This woman probably has no idea even if other people were already hunting her land.

Land.pdf

• Like 3

So I just got the OK this morning to hunt a small parcel (approx. 6 acres) a few miles from my house in Westchester. It's my wife's bosses boss who just moved there last year and dislikes all the animals/deer she sees in her woods/yard. I didn't go last year since I only had xbow and couldn't hunt it, so I will probably go there within the next few weeks to walk the property and check it out.
Here's what it looks like. Pretty decent sized wooded area for Westchester and near some other decent tracts of land for this area. Makes me wonder how many treestands i'll find in there. This woman probably has no idea even if other people were already hunting her land.

Land.pdf

Depends on the town in westchester, you would
Be surprised you may not see any...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Depends on the town in westchester, you would
Be surprised you may not see any...

Yorktown, so the highest deer take by town in Westchester County according 2016 states (250 deer killed).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Looks like a good piece , are those 2 dark areas ravines? 

I really don't know yet. I haven't been over there. My map is just based on town tax parcel map. Based on google images (a few years old), it looks pretty heavy the woods going by the view from the road on the bottom of the property.

Actually it could be water (stream) leading to that pond/lake below the property?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

This has me thinking about another question now. In the ground blind, should I have a hook to hang my bow in the blind? with the xbow I either have it across my lap or leaning against me. When I hunt on ground with just makeshift stick in front of me, I assume I will just lay it across my lap. Is this what most guys do?

This is what I use, it's nice because you can shoot with it on. Takes up very little room in pack and is very light. I hate having a bow in my lap.1269e12e173a56fbc2e66a60e3715779.png

Just so you don't have to have arrows with broadheads laying around I would just buy a cheap quiver to keep your arrows in. 2706f3e4ab7c000750bc03351267d516.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is what I use, it's nice because you can shoot with it on. Takes up very little room in pack and is very light. I hate having a bow in my lap.1269e12e173a56fbc2e66a60e3715779.png

Just so you don't have to have arrows with broadheads laying around I would just buy a cheap quiver to keep your arrows in. 2706f3e4ab7c000750bc03351267d516.png

I actually had bought a similar stand. Pine Ridge Kwik Stand for home, but could use it in blind too I guess.

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Biz should invite em over to his pool party/cookout.

Based on the topography map, these people don't need me lol. All these houses appear to have big pools, and they are all probably paying $30K+ in taxes with the size of these properties.

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I really don't know yet. I haven't been over there. My map is just based on town tax parcel map. Based on google images (a few years old), it looks pretty heavy the woods going by the view from the road on the bottom of the property.

Actually it could be water (stream) leading to that pond/lake below the property?

That would be a killer spot to check out ,walk the sides ( if possible) and look for trails leading in and out of stream/low area.

• Like 1

That would be a killer spot to check out ,walk the sides ( if possible) and look for trails leading in and out of stream/low area.

Yea hope so. She complains of deer and other animals to my wife...

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Lol. I didn't even see the land yet. Odds are the neighbors don't even know what "hunting" is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Well odds are you'll get to meet them, as it's doubtful an arrow shot deer will stay on that small piece . Last year my bow buck went 75 yards which was sweet, but I've gone after double lunged ones 200 yards as well. 

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I also don't like to put my bow on a hook. I feel like I'm a fast situation it would cost me valuable seconds or add unwanted movement. I usually have it resting on the arms of my stand so I can keep my hands warm in my pocket

If I had to hold my bow all the time I'd quit, honest.  What do you do when the temperature drops to the teens or lower?  Toss in some wind and a 15mph breeze..........

Why not use a Realtree EZHanger?  Good heavens, the bow hangs right in front of you and is easy as pie to get...........

(All this said, I don't hunt from ground blinds, huts, etc etc.  Only tree stands.)

• Like 1

If I had to hold my bow all the time I'd quit, honest.  What do you do when the temperature drops to the teens or lower?  Toss in some wind and a 15mph breeze..........
Why not use a Realtree EZHanger?  Good heavens, the bow hangs right in front of you and is easy as pie to get...........
(All this said, I don't hunt from ground blinds, huts, etc etc.  Only tree stands.)

Only have 1 ground blind. My other blinds are just makeshift sticks so not going to hang bow out in open. Think it's better lower next to me and concealed.