Biz-R-OWorld 2017 Season

BizCT

On 8/12/2017 at 3:29 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

They probably pass through the woods and head straight for the green lawns and shrubs. Its a classic example of how mature forests offer next to nothing in habitat for deer. 

This is very true...I hunt a few properties that the deer don't stray too far from the landscaped properties where they have access to an abundance of food. I would do some scouting closer to the houses as long as the homeowner is ok with it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, brownclown said:

Congrats on joining the bow hunting ranks. I'm also primarliy a 3n hunter for much of my hunting and when lucky get to join some friends in 3s. One of those properties are in Yorktown and would pick Westchester 9 out of 10 times for deer numbers , sightings and size. As with all properties cams and initial scouting don't always show everything especially when your learning new spots. Put in the time especially near seeking rut phase. I can't believe some of the bruiser that pass through these small suburban locations. We see lots of deer in person at this location that may never show on cam , not being "residents" . Your results may vary because despite both being located in Yorktown small distances can be a world of differnce but I wouldn't write it based on your initial inspection. And if you need anyone to verify this spots potential I'm avaiable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

This is very true...I hunt a few properties that the deer don't stray too far from the landscaped properties where they have access to an abundance of food. I would do some scouting closer to the houses as long as the homeowner is ok with it.

Thanks. Yea, I'm definitely not giving up on it. Put 2 cams to get an idea, just was hoping to see more deer crap and old buck rubs. But it's definitely convenient to have another spot very close to home that I can hunt.

• Like 1

I bet you catch a stud on one of those cams in the upcoming months Biz. They are going to start changing their patterns and movements real soon. I've got bucks now showing up on camera that I haven't seen yet this year. So things are starting to change. Come rut time you should have all sorts of deer wandering through that new property.

That chair looks real nice. I'm gonna have to get a couple of those for my blinds. Looks nice and easy to shoot from too

• Like 2

I bet you catch a stud on one of those cams in the upcoming months Biz. They are going to start changing their patterns and movements real soon. I've got bucks now showing up on camera that I haven't seen yet this year. So things are starting to change. Come rut time you should have all sorts of deer wandering through that new property.

That chair looks real nice. I'm gonna have to get a couple of those for my blinds. Looks nice and easy to shoot from too

Yea we'll see about new property. Haven't checked cams for first time yet. I'll give them 2-3 weeks. But regardless, I have 4 bucks I would shoot on my regular property (2nd year there) and typically they stay on same routine until late October so I'm hoping to get one of them early. I'll probably check those cams again this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

dd1978486d68d1989bb589adc13ed921.jpg

Assembled a set of broadheads tonight. Will shoot 1 of them on Saturday to make sure they shoot like my FP's. Probably go to my parents backyard so I can get out to 25-35yds for the first time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Assembled a set of broadheads tonight. Will shoot 1 of them on Saturday to make sure they shoot like my FP's. Probably go to my parents backyard so I can get out to 25-35yds for the first time.

Make sure you are dialed in with FP's. Tightest groups you can get! Don't put the carriage in front of the horse. If you do decide to start shooting broad heads, shoot one at a time! Or your worry about "ruining" an arrow might come true. Nothing more heart-breaking then zipping the fletching off arrows trying to shoot broad-heads as a group.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Don't worry if you can't get it flying the same Saturday. If your coming to Suffolk archers on Sunday, I'm sure some of the guys there would be more than willing to help out. 

• Like 1

Don't worry if you can't get it flying the same Saturday. If your coming to Suffolk archers on Sunday, I'm sure some of the guys there would be more than willing to help out. 

I'll be ok Long Island Sunday but to play golf at Bethpage Black.

• Like 1

Make sure you are dialed in with FP's. Tightest groups you can get! Don't put the carriage in front of the horse. If you do decide to start shooting broad heads, shoot one at a time! Or your worry about "ruining" an arrow might come true. Nothing more heart-breaking then zipping the fletching off arrows trying to shoot broad-heads as a group.

I have sight good for 20yds right now with 100gr FP's, so hopefully like with my xbow the BH'sof same weight fly the same as FP's. I have to gradually work out to 40yds and know that "number" on my HHA sight so that then I put official sight yardage tape on my sight. Right now number 9 is perfect for 20yds.

Also I would never waste more than 1 BH for practice. With my xbow I keep 1 BH as my practice BH, never use hunting ones on target. I just rotate the same practice BH across all arrows to make sure they good but then put fresh BH on tested arrows.

Biz I like the idea of a fixed broad head , but it was disguraging always having to adjust my sights from field tip to broad head. I then tried NAP mechanical broad head and they fly exactly like a field tip. I know people have told tails about them not opening especially Rage heads but the NAP has no rubber bands or anything like that. So if your having trouble dialing in with fixed give a mechanical a try.. Just a suggestion..

• Like 1

Biz I like the idea of a fixed broad head , but it was disguraging always having to adjust my sights from field tip to broad head. I then tried NAP mechanical broad head and they fly exactly like a field tip. I know people have told tails about them not opening especially Rage heads but the NAP has no rubber bands or anything like that. So if your having trouble dialing in with fixed give a mechanical a try.. Just a suggestion..

Did you use the same weight FP's? I just can't trust a mechanical, it's a personal thing. So I never tried them with xbow and doubt I ever will with compound

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Did you use the same weight FP's? I just can't trust a mechanical, it's a personal thing. So I never tried them with xbow and doubt I ever will with compound

I did they were 100 grain, and I totally understand the trust issue I'm just saying me personally have never had a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Call me old school, but I feel exactly the same. I don't trust the mechanical heads either. I'm well aware that many deer are killed with them every year. But I never doubt that my fixed blades are doing their job. Those Slick Tricks will serve you well Biz. I've used them with no problem at all. And the NAP Thunderheads as well. All 100 gr. Just keep holding your form when shooting longer distances. Hold that bow arm rock steady until the arrow hits the target. You seem to be doing really well with your new set up! Keep up the good practice and you will be fine! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Call me old school, but I feel exactly the same. I don't trust the mechanical heads either. I'm well aware that many deer are killed with them every year. But I never doubt that my fixed blades are doing their job. Those Slick Tricks will serve you well Biz. I've used them with no problem at all. And the NAP Thunderheads as well. All 100 gr. Just keep holding your form when shooting longer distances. Hold that bow arm rock steady until the arrow hits the target. You seem to be doing really well with your new set up! Keep up the good practice and you will be fine! 

Thx!

A properly tuned bow will shoot a fixed broadhead the same as a field point. I won't shoot a bow that won't, because you're loosing KE with your arrows not flying true.

Mechanical broadheads are a bandaid for proper bow tuning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hey, Biz.

I shoot fixed blades, but use the Montec G5 CS.  In addition to having been recommended by a local bow shop (easy to resharpen), I chose them because Montec also manufactures the G5 "Preseason" which is the same broadhead without the sharp blades.  The result is precise sighting-in with my "practice" broadheads.  They weigh the same, they fly the same on the arrow, etc.

Figured I'd throw that out there for you to think on.

23 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Hey, Biz.

I shoot fixed blades, but use the Montec G5 CS.  In addition to having been recommended by a local bow shop (easy to resharpen), I chose them because Montec also manufactures the G5 "Preseason" which is the same broadhead without the sharp blades.  The result is precise sighting-in with my "practice" broadheads.  They weigh the same, they fly the same on the arrow, etc.

Figured I'd throw that out there for you to think on.

Nice, thx. I read good things about them. I, too, went off my local bow shop recommendation with the Slick Trick's so i'll see how they work out.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A properly tuned bow will shoot a fixed broadhead the same as a field point. I won't shoot a bow that won't, because you're loosing KE with your arrows not flying true.

Mechanical broadheads are a bandaid for proper bow tuning.

Your 100% correct my bow is not properly tuned, I'm not knowable in that area to do it myself. I took it in to where I bought it from but was shooting 70 pounds. I've lowered it to 63 and relighted in with field points then tried broadheads and was all out of wack. Need to take it back to him I think. Problem is he doesn't have the space to shoot from more than 10 yards 

Your 100% correct my bow is not properly tuned, I'm not knowable in that area to do it myself. I took it in to where I bought it from but was shooting 70 pounds. I've lowered it to 63 and relighted in with field points then tried broadheads and was all out of wack. Need to take it back to him I think. Problem is he doesn't have the space to shoot from more than 10 yards 

You can paper tune at 3ft. It's not difficult at all just keep moving your rest until you get a perfect cut in the paper wether with bare shaft or with fletch.

• Like 2

Just checked cams (2 weeks since last check). None of the 4 shooters hitting the throw and grow. A few acorns have dropped. Anyone know what kind? Any lots of young yotes so maybe they denned up nearby.

4f4b8f5699bf9d5f6c8cd3e4027ce6c4.jpg

e6ac7bf1a376907cf11c8b7214a2808c.jpg

55f35839afbd7b3a26c019f531353e8e.jpg

25c30ab79e48d87149af60f0beadff22.jpg

ff66da95a13e5a93bf960c8997b01287.jpg

ea6a1314d8b712f5c536573f090d2695.jpg

cf574f4fe78539170e09ea27badaa0be.jpg
c4964b9de864796ae97e5bb77f4931d2.jpg

a039a54441a67f565926b1a869cbc829.jpg

bfc7add43fd29ddef6c980ecde083606.jpg

Time to shoot my bow first time out past 20yds.