Fertilizer source?

Where do you guys find the proper fertilizer? I cant seem to find anything but lawn fertilizer or 12 -12-12. Need some low nitrogen fertilizer for clover plot and was hoping for some 17-17-17 at least for rest of plots. Tried Tractor supply, Lowe, Home Depot in Buffalo area.Thanks

Edited by Dugan

Where do you guys find the proper fertilizer? I cant seem to find anything but lawn fertilizer or 12 -12-12. Need some low nitrogen fertilizer for clover plot and was hoping for some 17-17-17 at least for rest of plots. Tried Tractor supply, Lowe, Home Depot in Buffalo area.Thanks

The numbwrs are a percentage... so if what you are finding is 12-12-12 but your soil test says 18-18-18 you just have to apply 1/2 again as much in volume. as for the low nitrogen.. Just shop around and keep your eyes open, an agway/tsc or local farm store will have it. you may just have to check more then 1.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't fuss over the perfect percentage.   Either the even amount stuff, or 6-24-24 is ok.

This year lowes had lawn starter fertilizer on clearance, so I bought that instead.  It was 24-17-7 or something like that.

Also, if doing clover, it initally needs a decent bit of nitrogen. Once established and you bought innoculated clover, then a low nitrogen is fine.

I buy from agway usually.   They mix their own there.  They had 50lbs of 6-24-24 for $14 and 17-17-17 for $12.

what size plot are we talking.  nothing wrong with manure either.....

10 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

I wouldn't fuss over the perfect percentage.   Either the even amount stuff, or 6-24-24 is ok.

This year lowes had lawn starter fertilizer on clearance, so I bought that instead.  It was 24-17-7 or something like that.

Also, if doing clover, it initally needs a decent bit of nitrogen. Once established and you bought innoculated clover, then a low nitrogen is fine.

I buy from agway usually.   They mix their own there.  They had 50lbs of 6-24-24 for $14 and 17-17-17 for $12.

what size plot are we talking.  nothing wrong with manure either.....

It's a 1 acre clover plot and around 2 acres of some type of fall plot, still being discussed. 

For fall plots, I have been doing a mix of Daikon Radish, Purple Top Turnips and Dwarf Essex Rape..    Seems to work good for me..   I fertilize it at a rate of 100lbs per acre with 15/15/15..

• Like 1