Stuben County 8T

Steve D

Steuben County
Town of Rathbone
Prescribed Fire:
On April 10, Forest Rangers and other DEC staff treated 45 acres of grass fuels with prescribed fire at the Helmer Creek Wildlife Management Area. The Helmer Creek burn unit is identified for habitat improvement because of the presence of timber rattlesnakes in the area. Little Bluestem, a native warm season grass, grows on this site and is needed for management objectives. The re-introduction of consistent burning will help invigorate these native grasses and slow the spread of invasive species. Early season timing of this prescribed fire must occur before the emergence of rattlesnakes later this spring.

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

but I'm no fan of those rattlesnakes

I am not a fan of ANY snake period and any found usually end up in the compost pile. Never dealt with a rattlesnake and hope I never do!!

12 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I was a little embarrassed about my reaction - glad nobody saw it!

Worst part of it for me is getting the wife off the roof when she sees one plus I really hate getting surprised the way a snake surprises you.

• Like 2

I've lived in the area all my life, and trust me,  the rattlesnakes aren't nearly as popular with the residents as they are with the DEC.

The old timers around here  just shake their heads ....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...