Never hunted before

jeff1211

Hello, I just discovered this forum. I have never hunted before. I just recently got my hunting license and took my hunting and bowhunter courses. We are in the midst of spring turkey season and I was really looking for a mentor/partner to guide me so I don't miss the season. I live in rensselaer county in rensselaer but am willing to travel to you for the sake of public/private land. I am very much a subsistence hunter right now (I would like to use the meat/animal I kill) but may eventually go for trophies (still want to use the animal though). I am very willing to learn everything there is about each of the seasons and animals and about field dressing. I was hoping I could get someone to go out with before the spring turkey season ends. I am mainly available weekend mornings but can move my weekdays around a little if needed.

Jeff1211,   I got your E-mail on Turkey hunting but I haven,t been for a few years and I do not know of any private land

to hunt on. So I,m sorry I cannot help you presently. I can give you deer hunting guidance info if you need it. Been in the woods chasing deer for 45 yrs. and filled so many ( LEGAL) tags i,ve lost track. Shooting a new Ruger American Rifle in .270 Caliber.

Just put a new scope on it and need to sight it in when the weather allows at the range. I also reload .270,s. I generally carry with a N.Y.S. pistol permit concealed now these days. a Ruger 9E in 9mm Luger. 10 in the clip and 1 in the throat plus a extra concealed 10 round clip. All Legal. ok.

I wish you well and if you need any suggestion,s or pointer,s, just ask,

God Bless,   Froggy

1 hour ago, jeff1211 said:

Hello, I just discovered this forum. I have never hunted before. I just recently got my hunting license and took my hunting and bowhunter courses. We are in the midst of spring turkey season and I was really looking for a mentor/partner to guide me so I don't miss the season. I live in rensselaer county in rensselaer but am willing to travel to you for the sake of public/private land. I am very much a subsistence hunter right now (I would like to use the meat/animal I kill) but may eventually go for trophies (still want to use the animal though). I am very willing to learn everything there is about each of the seasons and animals and about field dressing. I was hoping I could get someone to go out with before the spring turkey season ends. I am mainly available weekend mornings but can move my weekdays around a little if needed.

Jeff, I live in Rensselaer County near the Columbia County line. I've got a couple spots I could take you turkey hunting.  There not super spots, but I could at least show you the ropes. If you've got spots you can hunt, I'm willing to go to those spots also. Even willing to go without a gun if that's the only way I could help out. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Jeff, I live in Rensselaer County near the Columbia County line. I've got a couple spots I could take you turkey hunting.  There not super spots, but I could at least show you the ropes. If you've got spots you can hunt, I'm willing to go to those spots also. Even willing to go without a gun if that's the only way I could help out. 

Sure! Just name a day that's good for you. Like I said I'm free weekend mornings mostly but could adjust time at work if needed. I can go out saturday or sunday this weekend if you're available. I don't really have a spot so just tell PM where to meet you and when. From what I've read most show up like a half hour before sunrise but not sure how you do it willing to learn. I also only have a camo jacket currently, was waiting to pick up more camo and a caller if I found someone to go with unless you have stuff I can borrow. I don't want you to go without a gun if you want to bring one along if you haven't got your turkey(s) and want to harvest one.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and decided to start your hunting career. Lots of info for you here, to help with the latest learning curve. You are not real far from me. I'm up in the Helderbergs, out side of Albany. I'll be out of commission for a bit with some surgery. But I may be able to guide you on a private land hunt towards the end of May. Trying to get my grandson his first bird too. Have you patterned yout turkey gun yet?

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and decided to start your hunting career. Lots of info for you here, to help with the latest learning curve. You are not real far from me. I'm up in the Helderbergs, out side of Albany. I'll be out of commission for a bit with some surgery. But I may be able to guide you on a private land hunt towards the end of May. Trying to get my grandson his first bird too. Have you patterned yout turkey gun yet?

No would I do that at a range to figure out the pattern on a target? I've never hunted with it just skeet shooting. End of may would work fine as well. I don't want to be a burden on anyone. Just happy I seem to have found a good site.

15 minutes ago, jeff1211 said:

Sure! Just name a day that's good for you. Like I said I'm free weekend mornings mostly but could adjust time at work if needed. I can go out saturday or sunday this weekend if you're available. I don't really have a spot so just tell PM where to meet you and when. From what I've read most show up like a half hour before sunrise but not sure how you do it willing to learn. I also only have a camo jacket currently, was waiting to pick up more camo and a caller if I found someone to go with unless you have stuff I can borrow. I don't want you to go without a gun if you want to bring one along if you haven't got your turkey(s) and want to harvest one.

You will need camo pants, gloves, and a head net to go with your jacket. Lightweight stuff is best for turkey season.  Can get rather warm walking around in heavy camo in May. 

What shotgun do you have?  2 3/4" , 3" or 3 1/2"? Like mentioned have you patterned it? 

You absolutely found a good site. Some awesome hunters hang out here! And most all are great people to boot. You definitely want to pattern your gun with the turkey loads you will be using. Different loads will pattern differently in various guns. So you really need to see where your shot pattern is, with the set up you have. 

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

You will need camo pants, gloves, and a head net to go with your jacket. Lightweight stuff is best for turkey season.  Can get rather warm walking around in heavy camo in May. 

What shotgun do you have?  2 3/4" , 3" or 3 1/2"? Like mentioned have you patterned it? 

I can get all those. I haven't gotten it patterned yet where can I bring it to do that? And the remington 870 express I have can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3".

27 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ok, so you need to get some turkey loads matched to the specs on the barrel of your shotgun. I've got spots we can go to pattern your gun. 

Awesome, I'll pick up the equipment you mentioned and find a place to pattern the gun.

22 minutes ago, jeff1211 said:

I can get all those. I haven't gotten it patterned yet where can I bring it to do that? And the remington 870 express I have can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3".

OK, grab some 3" magnum turkey loads. Winchester longbeard XR. Heavy shot, Remington nitro are all good choices. 5 or 6 shot would be best.  

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

OK, grab some 3" magnum turkey loads. Winchester longbeard XR. Heavy shot, Remington nitro are all good choices. 5 or 6 shot would be best.  

Okay sounds good should 2 or 3 boxes be enough? I'll have to fire some to pattern I assume. Just not sure where to do that, trying some shooting places but all seem to be locked behind a club membership and not even sure if that's where I should be looking.

Jeff1211,

the 3" Magnum turkey loads will do just fine. 2 boxes of shell,s is enough. Preferably 6,s.Be sure you have

a full choke barrel on your shotgun. If it,s a 12 guage. a test for that if it,s full choke. A dime cannot pass through

end of barrel. If it does, it,s not a full choke. Test your patterns on a 9" paper plate at 25 yds. If pattern is real good, your all set.

Find a local hunting club and ask nicely if you can use their range.   They,ll say ok.

Gobble,Gobble,    Froggy

I've got a spot to take a few shots to check the pattern. 

As far as calls, I use mouth or diaphragm calls.  However,  most people have a tuff time mastering them. A box or push pin or slate/glass call are much easier to learn, and make sweet hen sounds. 

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've got a spot to take a few shots to check the pattern. 

As far as calls, I use mouth or diaphragm calls.  However,  most people have a tuff time mastering them. A box or push pin or slate/glass call are much easier to learn, and make sweet hen sounds. 

Should I get one of those as well? I'll PM you my number so it's easier to meet up for the pattern/hunting.

Just want to thank mowin again for a great hunt. I already knew I wanted to learn and developed an even greater respect for the sport and lifestyle. The endurance, persistence, patience and so much more that goes into hunting turkeys and the relationship, knowledge and skills you learn are incredible - and I certainly learned a lot from mowin about everything right up to butchering. I'm excited to get out there and use my other tag before the season ends and can't wait for the other animal seasons and a chance to learn the skills and knowledge to hunt them as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3