Camping World buys Gander Mountain

Hoping to catch a good deal on a warmer pair of Muck boots. 

Unbeknownst to me the ones I wore all last gun deer season are rated 40-90 degrees.  Lol. I knew they seemed a little lighter and less bulky than my previous ones. Oops. Now that I know my toes are sure to get cold. However last year I dark to darked it on some days it was only in the teens. 

• Like 2

Unbeknownst to me the ones I wore all last gun deer season are rated 40-90 degrees.  Lol. I knew they seemed a little lighter and less bulky than my previous ones. Oops. Now that I know my toes are sure to get cold. However last year I dark to darked it on some days it was only in the teens. 

20% off footwear at the moment. But ya better go soon as inventory is dwindling quickly. I was about to walk away without any because I could find a size 11. Wife checked the display boot and it was a 11. Hunted down an employee and had him find the display box in the back with the other boot.
  • Like 1

Head down to the Amish boot shop in Leon,NY.....grab the artic pro I believe and you will be set.
Ask for the locals price cause they try and jack the price up for the city folk who may be in a weekend joy ride through Amish country.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cory said:

I went to the Tonawanda store yesterday and it was packed. I have no idea why so many people in the checkout lines the deals are not deals. They jacked their prices up and put 20% off stickers on them. I recently purchased a pair of keen boots for work for $90 from there and the price on them yesterday was $139. Treestands were jacked up also. Maybe give it another try a couple days before the lights are officially turned off.

this is always what has turned me off about that place. I get their emails and they seem good. You check out some new boots are something you've been looking for and it's retail with a slight discount. You search the same make/model on the net and find it almost always cheaper elsewhere, often with free shipping and no tax. I used them mostly for stuff I needed in a pinch that dicks might not have and found their guns and ammo to be decent. Would love to pick up some yeti or gander brand coolers on closeout but I just don't see that happening.

I read an article late last night that said camping world owns the buildings but did NOT buy the inventory. The inventory was bought by another party, a liquidation company who is controlling all the pricing. Unfortunately they will most likely not slash prices enough to really empty the places out. Sounds like what's left on closing day will be trucked out and dispersed to other retail outlets. We shall see though.

• Like 1

I went to the Henrietta store Saturday. There were a few good deals here and there, but nothing spectacular yet. I picked up the bug suit I need for my bear trip next spring for $31, which wasnt bad. Grabbed a few fishing lures and a pair of bow hunting gloves. The guns are 10% off right now, Im hoping they go to 20% or more off, then Ill go pick something up.

As far as them "marking up prices and then taking the percentage back off", I dont buy that at all. They would have had to go in and basically repackage all of their items, as the retail price is printed right on the packaging materials.

From what I have read, some of the stores will reopen after these sales are done. The current sales are being run by a liquidation company, which bought all of the inventory that Gander had at the time. If there is anything left after the drop dead date, it will be taken out of the stores by the liquidation company, and who knows where it will be sold off. Any stores that will stay open, will be restocked with new inventory

• Like 1

I went Friday night. I saw the post on D&C regarding the store closing. I was surprised as they weren't first mentioned in the filing. I called the store to clarify and the guy that answered told me "not to believe everything I hear in the news". I laughed and said OK. then I went to their website and it is locked on one page saying they are going out of business. A bit confused and driving home from work WHAM1180 ran an update saying that they weren't closing. Having enough of the "Fake News", I decided to go to the store. Banners everywhere say they are closing. Stood in line for 45 minutes to talk to a gun clerk, said previously purchased warranties will still be honored but didn't know how or through who. Kind of ticked me off at the lack of info but it wasn't his fault. Nothing spectacular as far as deals are concerned and with the gun show at the dome Sat & Sun, I held off. Hopefully they reopen under the Gander name, they're supposedly the third highest grossing store in the country which is pretty impressive since they are in a super liberal and restrictive state. 

1 hour ago, GPeters said:

I went Friday night. I saw the post on D&C regarding the store closing. I was surprised as they weren't first mentioned in the filing. I called the store to clarify and the guy that answered told me "not to believe everything I hear in the news". I laughed and said OK. then I went to their website and it is locked on one page saying they are going out of business. A bit confused and driving home from work WHAM1180 ran an update saying that they weren't closing. Having enough of the "Fake News", I decided to go to the store. Banners everywhere say they are closing. Stood in line for 45 minutes to talk to a gun clerk, said previously purchased warranties will still be honored but didn't know how or through who. Kind of ticked me off at the lack of info but it wasn't his fault. Nothing spectacular as far as deals are concerned and with the gun show at the dome Sat & Sun, I held off. Hopefully they reopen under the Gander name, they're supposedly the third highest grossing store in the country which is pretty impressive since they are in a super liberal and restrictive state. 

There was a sign on the gun counter Saturday that said all warranties would be honored through the manufacturer. If you previously bought the add on warranty through Gander, it will probably be honored by the "new" Gander, but its still unknown if there will even be one in this area or not. From what Camping World has said, they "hope to keep about 70 stores open".

I work for a company that grows by acquiring smaller companies, or companies that are having issues, and we say alot of comforting things during the transition, mostly so the employees dont get upset and rob us blind, then we do what we really want to after we have our reigns on them. Sometimes its what we said we would do, other times we close the stores and hang a sign on the window for the employees to find when they show up to work. It may seem like a crappy thing to have happen, or to do, but its the way it works.

21 minutes ago, bkln said:

How can you go bankrupt with 126 stores across the country? The answer = bad management. Few bad seeds messing it up for everyone... what a shame (shaking my head)...

From what I read, basically, they ordered too much product and let it sit on the shelves too long, which cost them too much money, and boom.

this is always what has turned me off about that place. I get their emails and they seem good. You check out some new boots are something you've been looking for and it's retail with a slight discount. You search the same make/model on the net and find it almost always cheaper elsewhere, often with free shipping and no tax. I used them mostly for stuff I needed in a pinch that dicks might not have and found their guns and ammo to be decent. Would love to pick up some yeti or gander brand coolers on closeout but I just don't see that happening.

Get a Yeti at Tony Walker on your birthday, 40% off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great,  another place less to pick up Savage .300 and 16 gauge ammo and licenses.

Only finding 16 gauge slugs most places and no Savage .300 ammo.  Getting low on 6's.

Wally world by me sells fishing licenses (sometimes), the rest of the time if ask for hunting license, the person who is trained is not there or they claim the machine is broken and I had to make a trip to Gander Mountain on more than one occassion to get a license.

My hours and schedule don't get me to the town clerks office or Davis Sporting Goods.

Dick's doesn't have much selection of camping or hunting gear/clothing that Gander has.

May have to plan occasional trips to Campmor in NJ for some stuff going forward.

I need to replace a gun case, so I better hit Gander Mountain soon.  Hard to carry with no carry-handles or shoulder-strap.

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

From what I read, basically, they ordered too much product and let it sit on the shelves too long, which cost them too much money, and boom.

I know the Tonawanda store here basically tripled if not quadrupled the amount of guns in preparation for Cabela's to open here. They revamped the whole store as well. Sorta saw the writing on the wall for this location. Not that it explains all the stores going under.

Never been a big Gander fan. Prices just out of touch and staff usually not too informed. I have Dicks and Runnings nearby and Bass not too far.

I was hoping they may have a good clearance but sounds like not likely.

I've said it before but the fishing department in Tonawanda is great and I'll miss it. The rest not so much. Sounds like some are going to reopen with new stock and stuff after the liquidation. 

Edited by BigVal

The comments about staff are interesting to me. Is there a hunting store that has these knowledgeable folks? Do any of you really make purchase decisions based on an associate ANYWHERE for ANYTHING? I don't think I've bought a thing in my life based off what an associate has told me. Too likely to be burned. Point me to where the thing I'm looking for is, that's all I need.

Excuse me teenage boy at lowes is this insulation made from organic materials. Excuse me teenage boy at dicks. How quiet is this crossgun?

Edited by Belo

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

The comments about staff is interesting to me. Is there a hunting store that has these knowledgeable folks? Do any of you really make purchase decisions based on an associate ANYWHERE for ANYTHING? I don't think I've bought a thing in my life based off what an associate has told me. Too likely to be burned. Point me to where the thing I'm looking for is, that's all I need.

Excuse me teenage boy at lowes is this insulation made from organic materials. Excuse me teenage boy at dicks. How quiet is this crossgun?

I agree. Ganders biggest issue though, is that there is simply noone working the store. I can never find anyone that can answer any questions, or be helpful in any way. My comment about the guy in the gun department was based on the fact that I told him exactly what I wanted, and he ordered the wrong gun anyway. Luckily, it will do the job, but it wasnt exactly what I wanted. I never have issues buying guns anywhere but there. The only reason I go is because sometimes they carry things that I cant easily get elsewhere.

• Like 2

Yeah now that's just stupidity there. I sold appliances at sears for a few years in college. I knew my stuff and helped a lot of people but some of my colleagues were just stupid or didn't care. Back when HE washers first came out and telling little old ladies it didn't matter what kind of detergent they used.

I've purchased 2 guns at gander as I still believe that was the thing they did the best. Decent help both times. Never really impressed with the price of their used guns though.

• Like 1

The gander mountain down here in Palm Beach County was better with sales people, had a huge selection of new and used weapons and one of the best gunsmith in shops I've seen.

They did everything from install sights and scopes to hydro dip weapons

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

The Henrietta one was the worst...don't get me going on one of the gun smith they had a few years ago, or when the bow shop was running, having to duck as the tech shot an arrow through a ceiling tile, Then there was the 40 min waits at the gun counter just to see anyone. Well and if you did see them, good luck prying them away from a casual ha ha tee hee conversations as 3-5 people were waiting to get service. Oh excuse me do you carry- - -?  " I don't know,  lets go check....no I guess not sorry" If I had a buck for every " I don't know" to a simple question, I could have 30 cams running on our place...

• Like 1