Camping World buys Gander Mountain

On 5/8/2017 at 0:25 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

There was a sign on the gun counter Saturday that said all warranties would be honored through the manufacturer. If you previously bought the add on warranty through Gander, it will probably be honored by the "new" Gander, but its still unknown if there will even be one in this area or not. From what Camping World has said, they "hope to keep about 70 stores open".

I work for a company that grows by acquiring smaller companies, or companies that are having issues, and we say alot of comforting things during the transition, mostly so the employees dont get upset and rob us blind, then we do what we really want to after we have our reigns on them. Sometimes its what we said we would do, other times we close the stores and hang a sign on the window for the employees to find when they show up to work. It may seem like a crappy thing to have happen, or to do, but its the way it works.

You and I must work for the same company, lol. 

• Like 1

Just went there today..huge sign as you enter the building ...

Now Hiring

Associate said they are abandoning the ship like rats and they need the summer help. Gee I wonder why?..LOL

So they said...still unsure whether that store will close and now they are being kinda cagie about it because the states attorney general is investigating their ..." Going out of business sale"  lousy discounts but my 20.00 certificate was due today...so I picked up an umbrella...you guys raved about them last years so thanks to tax it still cost me 1.97.. There it is..wiping hands of Gander Mountain.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Finally got to Gander Mon. night.

Wow 10% off hunting and shooting accessories (ammo, cleaner, cleaning pads, cases, calls, game cams, decoys, etc)

Same deal on tents and cooking and most camping gear.

I saw nothing 30% off - but I didn't get over to the boating and fishing area.

No ammo left on the shelves for what shoot.

Guns in-stock was way down - 30% of their firearms left and being bought out with just 10% discount is surprising.  No single-shots or 22's left.  A couple double barrels left at $2,400.

So basically I saved on taxes for basic gun case.

Doesn't seem much like liquidation discounts - I had better deals at radio shack;  electronic parts (90% off) and UPS replacement batteries (60% off).

Will have to stop by later/next week to see if the discounts increase on the other items i was looking at.

I saw the same signs that they are looking for help to run the store that they are closing in Middletown.

Guess the smart staff were like rats - fled the sinking ship.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Just went there today..huge sign as you enter the building ...

Now Hiring

Associate said they are abandoning the ship like rats and they need the summer help. Gee I wonder why?..LOL

So they said...still unsure whether that store will close and now they are being kinda cagie about it because the states attorney general is investigating their ..." Going out of business sale"  lousy discounts but my 20.00 certificate was due today...so I picked up an umbrella...you guys raved about them last years so thanks to tax it still cost me 1.97.. There it is..wiping hands of Gander Mountain.

Umbrella = best money ever spent !

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 8:16 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

I agree. Ganders biggest issue though, is that there is simply noone working the store. I can never find anyone that can answer any questions, or be helpful in any way. My comment about the guy in the gun department was based on the fact that I told him exactly what I wanted, and he ordered the wrong gun anyway. Luckily, it will do the job, but it wasnt exactly what I wanted. I never have issues buying guns anywhere but there. The only reason I go is because sometimes they carry things that I cant easily get elsewhere.

YES!

I HATE HATE HATE begging people to take my money. It's just a thing I have. I hate it. I've often gone into Gander and a nice little line is snaking around counters as a single person there cashes people out. To be frank Target suffers this problem and I will sometimes just leave my cart there if they are actively keeping cashiers low. They do it because they are too poor to hire more staff. I think it's a sign of a weak business. Walmart doesn't have this. I've seen long lines, but they seem to always try and aggressively shut them down or throw staff at them. Target, Gander don't seem to care how long people stand in line. When you have a business running into the millions in revenue each year you have to be stupid as hell to not pay an extra couple of $12/hour employees to help ensure your checkouts move through quickly and painlessly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

I went into Henrietta Gander last night.  Guns are only 5% off, ammo is 10%.

Other areas range from 10-30% off.

The best deals were on ice fishing gear.  

Still? I just got an email yesterday that they were bumping everything up to an additional discount. Up to 40% off is what the email said.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:13 PM, Elmo said:

Anyone know what the Middletown Gander looks like?  I would like to pick up a Yeti Hopper cooler at a reduced price if possible.

On Monday night they had lots of various Yeti coolers in stock - 10% off.

Ammo shelves were very thin on stock.

Was 10% off of the Hunting Stands and Blinds - their end-of-season sales were more than that.

I may swing by there Saturday to see what dropped price wise after Turkey hunting.

A turkey vest may make a bit easier than rummaging though several pockets (pants and jacket) to find that my slate strikers are still in the waist pack behind me, the pouch with my box call never made it onto my belt, or the face mask is still in the car.  Once didn't have my license on me as I switched from a heavy warm coat to a lighter one as the season warmed up.

Wife says do you really need one - well, I think I do.

• Like 1

Thanks, Two Track.  10% is barely noticeable.  Cabelas is offering $50 off some models which is more than 10% and they're not the ones going out of business.  5% of guns?  This doesn't seem like it's worth the hour drive for me.

No real great buys as of Saturday night.

Only things I saw drop in price was some clothing - got a turkey vest at 30% off, last time it was only 20% off.

Tree stands, blinds, calls, decoys, gun cases, coolers, camping gear, generators, boots still 10% off.

Nothing i looked at was 40% off.

Only 1 register open on a Saturday.

No real great buys as of Saturday night.
Only things I saw drop in price was some clothing - got a turkey vest at 30% off, last time it was only 20% off.
Tree stands, blinds, calls, decoys, gun cases, coolers, camping gear, generators, boots still 10% off.
Nothing i looked at was 40% off.
Only 1 register open on a Saturday.

Was it busy? Gander isn't a trip for me but pretty far out of my way.

They got to start somewhere but 10% off is a joke  . I belong to a site that sets up discounts for first responders / military , I typically get 10 to 25 % off plus free shipping and cash back, some of the outdoor companies , Cabela's , Under Amour, Columbia , Ray Ban,Carhartt , Mid Way,and 25% off my favorite shoes,Allen Edmonds , and at around $300 average pair that's $75 .

I found an Xbow on there that sold for 1/3  less then anywhere online if you didn't have the ID code . I did not buy it but thought about it .