What's on the agenda to improve your hunting this coming season ?

rob-c

19 minutes ago, growalot said:

Since I started making brush pile fence my rabbit population has exploited...I have 2-3 bunnies out feeding right under the deer in the clover plots nightly.

Made some a couple years back n had alot around.they loved em.went out once this year and saw 1 rabbit.the ones we did have finally rotted away to nothing.

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Heated with a hot plate and coffee maker?  If so, build it a bit taller and capable of holding much more weight.  GPS coordinates appreciated. 

I'll build it big enough for three normal sized people OR for you and me...

Heat yes, but no electricity...Propane heater....We'll have to bring a thermos and cold cuts..

One of my buddies has satellite TV and a microwave in his blind...he powers it with a 300 yard extension cord from his house..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'll build it big enough for three normal sized people OR for you and me...

Heat yes, but no electricity...Propane heater....We'll have to bring a thermos and cold cuts..

One of my buddies has satellite TV and a microwave in his blind...he powers it with a 300 yard extension cord from his house..

A Honda EU2000 generator might be easier than almost a 1000 feet of extension cord!  I can darn near guarantee the deer would get used to the negligible noise...... :)

Edit to add......The generator has multiple uses before and after hunting season.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Finish a couple food plots.  Plant a few apple trees. Move a couple stands.  Practice with my bow at longer yardages.  Build a round bale blind.  Move my one "shooting" house to a better spot.  Do more scouting for buck sign.  Consider buying better trail cameras.  Shoot my first 10 pointer.  Big deer are few and far between, but I killed a nice 8pt with a sticker (almost a 9!) and have gotten a few bigger deer on camera over the last 4-5 years.  I don't know what I would do without hunting to keep me focused on the big picture.

1.) Plant 3-4 acres of corn at home, if the fields dry out enough to get it in before the end of June.  Right now, much of the ground is submerged, so it will be a long time before I can start plowing.   

2.) Hang a new stand over at my folks place.  It has been a few years since I killed a deer over there but I think I located the right spot.     

3.) Lots of practice with my daughter's Red-Ryder, set up with a "big loop", and full-sized stock to match my new Marlin 336 BL  30/30.    That 30/30 will be my rainy/snowy weather still-hunting gun up in the Adirondacks this fall.  I would love to break it in on a nice buck up there this year.

4.) Enough range time at home with the deer guns to get them all hitting the right spot.   I skimped on that a bit last year with my rifled slug gun.  That ended up costing me a few chops and an extra slug (finishing shot) on a big doe last season when my first shot hit about 6" high.   

Edited by wolc123

Plan to put up a new latter stand in the farthest swampy corner of this state land plot. It's about a mile back in, I've seen a few nice deer there over the past few years. It will be a long haul out but worth every step if I'm able to harvest something big!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Heal up this shoulder. 

Get back to shooting my bow.

Make at least four new natural ground blinds.

Move a couple ladder stands.

Trigger time on my new rifle.

#1 thing this year, is to be with my grandson when he shoots his first deer!

• Like 4

Ya I kept telling Mr B I wasn't picking it up and getting a perfect sight like with my cross bow..which I'm dead on with. It was causing me to  lean in and my shots would be high rt. . Well I suggested measuring both stocks then stock to scope. It's was mounted to far forward and needs to come back. This will need a new set of scope mounts from what Mr B says. Any ways I have a couple of great rifle spots now. One's I feel safe with even though there are so many hunters around  Me. It's difficult not to be in a sky line type of situation on many open distant shots here. But now I several that are distant but back up to a high ridge or thanks to ma nature taking out all those saplings a hill side.

Start off with hope and pray this rain doesn't drown my food plots into oblivion....
Buy 2 hang ons, 1 ladder and hang those in a few new spots for this year that I think will do very well after some post season scouting.
Hoping to build a elevated box blind for those late season hunts with the muzzleloader.
If my big field ever dries out, get that brush hogged and tilled up for a nice brassica plot.
Get my bow in for a tune up and a new string. Another half dozen arrows and a couple packs of broadheads. And a bunch of practicing.

Can't wait for Oct 1st!