Crossbow Bill S1386 is on the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee Meeting Agenda

tughillmcd

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

2 days left?

yes after today.  today, Tuesday, and Wednesday (june 21st) are the last legislative days for this session.  crossbow bill has to be resurrected next year as it's assembly version isn't out of committee it seems.  only bill that has any "flicker of hope" according to the New York Outdoor News is the poaching bill S387.  the rest haven't made enough progress in both assembly and senate to make it through in just 2 days.  Not dead.  Just has to be pushed to get through the process maybe next year.  they at times have extend the session but so far it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Sadly, full inclusion doesn't look like a possibility this year Biz. Start shopping for a compound. Maybe next year, but we've been saying that for years now. The squeaking wheel that is full inclusion, is just not loud enough in NYS.

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sadly, full inclusion doesn't look like a possibility this year Biz. Start shopping for a compound. Maybe next year, but we've been saying that for years now. The squeaking wheel that is full inclusion, is just not loud enough in NYS.

Yea. Have to contemplate whether spending the money and time to practice is worth hunting a few Saturday's in October. We'll see.

Some very nice bows can be picked up second hand at a very reasonable price, all set up. And the last two weeks of bow, are still good for crossbow. The best two weeks of the season in my opinion. Perhaps, better luck getting this through next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea. Have to contemplate whether spending the money and time to practice is worth hunting a few Saturday's in October. We'll see.

I would say for your situation , a used bow would be best ,at least that way you arnt super committed and can still go out if you get the itch.

• Like 1

Politicians in Albany are a joke. A big fat joke. Year after year the same sh&T. I tried again the other day to pull bow back, and I'm done even attempting it. And even having the modified archery permit and attaching my draw-loc to the bow, it is awkward and clumsy to use, especially in a treestand. Maybe in 15 years or so, they will have full inclusion, but by then health issues really will have caught up and there won't be any hunting for me. Thanks again Albany.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, greg54 said:

Politicians in Albany are a joke. A big fat joke. Year after year the same sh&T. I tried again the other day to pull bow back, and I'm done even attempting it. And even having the modified archery permit and attaching my draw-loc to the bow, it is awkward and clumsy to use, especially in a treestand. Maybe in 15 years or so, they will have full inclusion, but by then health issues really will have caught up and there won't be any hunting for me. Thanks again Albany.

Yup sad to say that the fat cats sitting pretty could care less about your issue and if you hunt or not. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, greg54 said:

You are right on! Most politicians in this state are a bunch of gutless cowards that do as they are told, by the higher ups, and whoever pads their pockets for the next election! In a couple of days, it will be seven weeks since my shoulder surgery. Still not close to pulling my 53lb. bow. Though I am gaining. Once the cross bow became a legal hunting implement, a few years ago, I assumed it would be a shoe in for full inclusion shortly there after. It only makes sense to assume, that with a bit of tweaking and changing the regulations from needing a black powder stamp to a bow stamp with archery certification, it would be a go. But no, nothing they do in Albany makes sense anymore. I do appreciate what Rick and others, from the crossbow coalition have and are trying to do. But like FSW said above, those spineless political bums really don't care if you or I hunt or not! We don't give them enough $ to get things done! There are very few politicians that have stood up to try to pass this through. We need to give THEM our all out support! As their numbers are as small a percentage as those of us for full inclusion, it seems.

• Like 1

When you stop and think about it, in the grand scheme of things, we hunters are pretty much in an insignificant minority. Our issues are really of little importance because our numbers are so small and trending downward as time goes by. And crossbow hunters are an even tinier sub-set of that small minority. If we don't get the attention that we think we should, it really shouldn't be a huge surprise.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

When you stop and think about it, in the grand scheme of things, we hunters are pretty much in an insignificant minority. Our issues are really of little importance because our numbers are so small and trending downward as time goes by. And crossbow hunters are an even tinier sub-set of that small minority. If we don't get the attention that we think we should, it really shouldn't be a huge surprise.

I would have to imagine that sportsman generate a significant amount of revenue ,or at least enough to be taken serious . What ever the number the hunters X the amount for a license . At least enough to be listened to.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Thats why many older guys up in age with their own property just grab and go. Right? Wrong? Who is to say that the guys that have been having a go at it for 20 plus years that they can no longer hunt because of a few suit wearing cats in Albany.

They are not to worried about the peanuts of a fine that would be handed down, I'm Sure.  Sucks that we all cant enjoy them !

• Like 1

Thats why many older guys up in age with their own property just grab and go. Right? Wrong? Who is to say that the guys that have been having a go at it for 20 plus years that they can no longer hunt because of a few suit wearing cats in Albany.
They are not to worried about the peanuts of a fine that would be handed down, I'm Sure.  Sucks that we all cant enjoy them !

About everyone I know that owns property and a Xbow has to hell with the law and uses them, very similar to the coyote "season." I think this is a big reason why there isn't much of a push for full inclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya know, I have my own properties, and I may not get caught. But I won't take the chance. I try to set a good example to my grandsons and other young hunters I mentor. And in no way am I, or have I been, perfect in my hunting career. I have openly admitted that fact here and in my personal life. But I just could not use a crossbow out of season, even if it means no hunting for me. It's been about seven weeks since my shoulder surgery, and at this point I see a 50 - 50 chance of being able to use my bow. If not, I will still be in the woods, as a mentor or to just shoot pictures instead of an arrow. It is what it is. But any deer I would kill illegally, would mean nothing to me. Just how I'm wired.

• Like 1

Ya know, I have my own properties, and I may not get caught. But I won't take the chance. I try to set a good example to my grandsons and other young hunters I mentor. And in no way am I, or have I been, perfect in my hunting career. I have openly admitted that fact here and in my personal life. But I just could not use a crossbow out of season, even if it means no hunting for me. It's been about seven weeks since my shoulder surgery, and at this point I see a 50 - 50 chance of being able to use my bow. If not, I will still be in the woods, as a mentor or to just shoot pictures instead of an arrow. It is what it is. But any deer I would kill illegally, would mean nothing to me. Just how I'm wired.

I feel the exact same way Grampy, my point was that I think many just say the hell with it and use them anyway and that's why it lacks the support needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I feel the exact same way Grampy, my point was that I think many just say the hell with it and use them anyway and that's why it lacks the support needed.

I agree with you 100%! I too have seen and heard about, more than a couple guys using crossbows starting Oct.1st last year. And planning to do the same this year. So to them it doesn't mean a rats patootie if full inclusion passed or not. To each their own I guess.

• Like 1

short list for today.  maybe an early day. nothing hunting related on the list.  so much for this year.  i think someone should put up a bill to have a minimum number of session days increased.  overwhelming amount of disappointment surrounding hunting related bills, the effort that went into them, and some of the senate offices lack to care. apparently we as a group aren't loud enough.

• Like 1

I could get away with it, but I'm not going to cheat and break laws. Cheating is cheating, would be the same as using gun October 1st or baiting or shooting one on September 30th. Where do you draw the line?

For me, it's easy. I just follow the regs whether I agree or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I could get away with it, but I'm not going to cheat and break laws. Cheating is cheating, would be the same as using gun October 1st or baiting or shooting one on September 30th. Where do you draw the line?

For me, it's easy. I just follow the regs whether I agree or not.

I guess some of these 60yr plus fellas have had their fill of Albany. Who Knows. Their land. Their tax dollars   Who's to say?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I guess some of these 60yr plus fellas have had their fill of Albany. Who Knows. Their land. Their tax dollars   Who's to say?

I am 75 . I hunt Private property and in no way would I cheat . I have a thing about Ethics and have a conscience . Don't try to put the old guys as potential law breakers . I bought a CrossBow last year and will give it a try when it's legal to use but I still do not support full inclusion and I don't fight it either . 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I am 75 . I hunt Private property and in no way would I cheat . I have a thing about Ethics and have a conscience . Don't try to put the old guys as potential law breakers . I bought a CrossBow last year and will give it a try when it's legal to use but I still do not support full inclusion and I don't fight it either . 

Lol. Sorry but in this case, that's the case.  Their choice I guess but I sure would not put them in with the shoot 3 bucks a year guys or the fill the while families tags up for them guys  Funny most of the ones I know that do that are not the older fellas. They are happy with the one they shoot and tag. 

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

Is it cheating? I see it as a stupid, unenforceable law and although I wouldn't use one out of season but I also likely won't use mine in season.

I refuse to buy minnows because I can catch hem in my back yard, is it cheating if I catch a fish on bait I trapped in my backyard because it's not certified?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I would have to imagine that sportsman generate a significant amount of revenue ,or at least enough to be taken serious . What ever the number the hunters X the amount for a license . At least enough to be listened to.

I know we all think that we pour so many dollars into the government for our hunting, fishing and other outdoor fees, but we also cost a lot of money as well. And when you look at the New York State budget, we really are quite insignificant and getting more insignificant every year.

• Like 2

I know we all think that we pour so many dollars into the government for our hunting, fishing and other outdoor fees, but we also cost a lot of money as well. And when you look at the New York State budget, we really are quite insignificant and getting more insignificant every year.

Correct. Hunting/fishing licenses don't make the state any money. It's more of the hotels, restaurants, sporting goods stores that make out during those seasons.

• Like 1