New tick disease...

growalot

So I hear there is a new tick disease and it is worse than Lyme and incurable to boot...

This got me researching to find the DEC did a studying that ended back k in 2011 on a way to lessen the growth of deer ticks on properties. It was a 4 poster deer feeding station that applied the stuff we spray on our clothes to deer heads and necks...That over a few years ticks were significantly reduced. These could be used spring through late summer to reduce populations. They then declined a town to use this method..Texas is using ivermectin laced corn in their feeders. 

This kills me... they allow towns to spend thousands to bait and hire sharp shooters to kill deer but won't allowed stations to kill the real problem THE TICKS for nymphs will take their first feed on birds and mice,then the next 2 needed feeds on not just deer! Domestic and livestock animals humans and even raccoons and such. Please tell me ...why do our tax dollars  go to studies that show effectiveness if they are going to refuse implications. Then you have the fact that private land owners could use such stations to protect their properties. State lands could have these stations implemented. Even if night time feeding timers were implemented. To limit areas to be used habitually during daylight hours...killing all the deer will not eliminate the ticks..they'll just adjust to a different primary host.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Good heavens, do we need hazmats to hunt now and then scorch the carcass with a flame thrower for a few min before going near it?

If anything I think this thread has been helpful and pushes me off the fence on a carrying decision. Last year I had a deer in my minivan on a blanket, but considering family gets in there I think I will get one of those hitch carriers and throw it on there so that it's never inside. If nothing else that will keep tickets out of the van. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, growalot said:

So I hear there is a new tick disease and it is worse than Lyme and incurable to boot...

This got me researching to find the DEC did a studying that ended back k in 2011 on a way to lessen the growth of deer ticks on properties. It was a 4 poster deer feeding station that applied the stuff we spray on our clothes to deer heads and necks...That over a few years ticks were significantly reduced. These could be used spring through late summer to reduce populations. They then declined a town to use this method..Texas is using ivermectin laced corn in their feeders. 

This kills me... they allow towns to spend thousands to bait and hire sharp shooters to kill deer but won't allowed stations to kill the real problem THE TICKS for nymphs will take their first feed on birds and mice,then the next 2 needed feeds on not just deer! Domestic and livestock animals humans and even raccoons and such. Please tell me ...why do our tax dollars  go to studies that show effectiveness if they are going to refuse implications. Then you have the fact that private land owners could use such stations to protect their properties. State lands could have these stations implemented. Even if night time feeding timers were implemented. To limit areas to be used habitually during daylight hours...killing all the deer will not eliminate the ticks..they'll just adjust to a different primary host.

Do you know what town was denied the use of the 4 post feeding station? I know that they are still used down here on Long Island as well as Shelter Island. 

As far as ticks go here on Long Island, I have seen a big increase in the Lone Star tick here. Not good at all. 

17 hours ago, Core said:

Good heavens, do we need hazmats to hunt now and then scorch the carcass with a flame thrower for a few min before going near it?

If anything I think this thread has been helpful and pushes me off the fence on a carrying decision. Last year I had a deer in my minivan on a blanket, but considering family gets in there I think I will get one of those hitch carriers and throw it on there so that it's never inside. If nothing else that will keep tickets out of the van. 

Need a hazmat suit just to mow the damn lawn...what a world. dump ticks over Kim jung dumpo...

I'll have to re google that..the only thing that pops up in my mind is Sag Harbor ?? in the mean time...check out 3rd link ..though it's 2012 so I'm not sure whats changed..can't find original reference...

http://www.stopticks.org/research/index.asp

http://impact.cals.cornell.edu/project/4-poster-tickicide-device-reduce-tick-populations-and-lyme-disease

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/opinion/ticks-to-the-slaughter.html

6 hours ago, growalot said:

I'll have to re google that..the only thing that pops up in my mind is Sag Harbor ?? in the mean time...check out 3rd link ..though it's 2012 so I'm not sure whats changed..can't find original reference...

http://www.stopticks.org/research/index.asp

http://impact.cals.cornell.edu/project/4-poster-tickicide-device-reduce-tick-populations-and-lyme-disease

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/opinion/ticks-to-the-slaughter.html

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember hearing its a neurotoxin when inhaled as well as being deadly to fish and cats. 

Well it's being used across the country..and I did mention the ivermectin which has been used on livestock for decades. The point is it's not a deer problem...it's a black footed tick problem.. They need to start addressing that and stop wasting time.

4 posters are utilized in several areas where I hunt.The DEC strongly urges NO venison taken from the area is consumed until approximately 2-3 weeks after the removal of the 4 poster from the area.

So the 4 poster is removed 2 weeks prior to the season opener in one particular area.The goal is to remove deer from the herd via hunting......but the DEC does not condone consumption of the venison? What is the proper protocol..........stay out of the area for the 2-3 weeks.......then consume venison (or donate it to a food bank) at your/their own risk?Anyone have a definitive answer as to whether or not the chemical make up of the compounds used in the 4 posters is carcinogenic or worse?

Most of the people who are for the 4 poster program (non-lethal) are against the sharpshooter program (obviously lethal)......yet both want tax money to fund these projects?