Tagged out!!!

Grizz1219

Shot a nice 2 year old opening day and then, this passed Saturday I tagged out in Ny... Started off the morning setting up with my wife to try and get her a bird, scouted this spot and last Sunday we had 6 long beards right where we set up this past Saturday. Friday night a storm system blew in, lot's of rain, wind etc... Wasn't sure how that would effect the birds but went in as planned.. Wife's got arthritis in her knee pretty bad and it was really hurting her on the way in.. I set up the decoys, got her set up and settled long before first light.. At first light the birds gobbled on the roost but not where they have been. Thinking the system moved them down a hundred yards or so into a gully. I also noted the once 6 birds were now more like 2 or 3, the flock had broken up during the week. Fly down they did gobble on the ground a bit but soon it got quiet.. Wife decided she didn't want to chase them hoping some birds would still follow their pattern and end up at our set up within an hour.. I left her some calls and took off on a run & gun hunt.. Worked my way around to another field and found birds were gobbling still on the ground, so used my crow call to keep them located and work in to where I could set up on them. Got within 70-80 yards of them, they were on another field edge or just inside the wood line I was in... Set up, broke out my slate call and they gobbled right on top of my calling.. worked 2 of them in but they walked just 30 yards away on the other side of a hill, then came in around me.. At one point they were 10 yards away drumming... I couldn't shoot because of a HUGE thorn bush behind me.. So I waited till I knew they were farther out from me and used the big oak I was leaning against to stand up.. When I did one of the Tom's saw me, putted but wasn't sure what I was... Slowly raised the Ulti Mag up, safety off, Red Dot on, found a hole to shoot through and got the red dot on the one that was strutting... He was 40 yards out and the load of #5's dumped him right over... Great bird... 3 year old, 20lbs, 9.25" thick beard with 1 1/8" spurs!!! Awesome way to finish my hunting season... 2 great birds.. 

nyturkey220171.jpg

nyturkey220172.jpg

nyturkey220173.jpg

nyturkey220174.jpg

• Like 20

Thanks guys... So far so good... Took 2 rookies out in Ma, they both killed 3 year olds... I hunted 3 days in NY and killed 2 LB's.... total hunting days is 6, 4 birds killed, should have been 5, one kid passed... Best season start for me EVER... 

• Like 3