Turkey questions

BigVal

I've been out a few times for turkey over the years and passed a joke the first time out, little did I know I wouldn't have another chance lol. So I hubt catt County and see birds all the time except when I try to hunt them. So when I set up and hear them (on roost I assume) before the sun comes up, then they quiet down quick and move along should I stick it out or move to "find" different birds? Also when I don't hear a bird in my first sitting spot how long do you guys wait it out before looking for birds? Mostly hunting woods and some small field edges. 

It sounds like your in a location that hold some birds and sometimes it just takes a while to figure them out. If you hear them on the roost, then try to determine where they are going once they hit the ground. I tend to sit tight for an hour or so, because they often come in with out making a sound and once we are moving, it's so easy to bump them. But moving slowly and glassing can be productive around ag fields. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 5

Chasing them is the most fun for me. Very often times birds will gobble on roost fly down with the hens and not gobble again until the hens go to roost. My favorite time to be in the woods is 10-12 because that's often when they are most vocal and willing to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you know where the birds are roosting, try to go out a couple of mornings with binos or a spotting scope to scout them from a distance, and see where they are going, and generally how long its taking them to get there. Thats how my daughter ended up with a nice tom in her lap opening day of youth season. I had been watching the birds for a while, found where they were roosting and a general idea of where they were going. The week before youth season, I was watching them almost every day. They seemed to be in one specific field at 7:30 almost every single morning. She killed her gobbler at 7:33 am.

• Like 1

Im not very experienced, but if im in a blind ill stay put till 12 if the bugs are bad out. If they're not ill move around 8 and just make circles around the property stopping for 20-30 min in each spot. Moving has payed off for me, but I prefer to find a good location and sit in the blind. The bird i got yesterday came in about 45 min after fly down after It was gobbling for 40 min straight. Give a few yelps right before fly down to let the gobbler know where you are.

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

Remember, the way mother nature intended things to go is the tom gobbles to attract the hen which goes to him. We're trying to reverse things. 

Hens will also start to break off from the tom sometime in the morning to lay a egg. Eventually, the tom may find himself all alone. This is when he's going to be traveling looking for love. He may remember that sweet sounding gal(you) he heard in the other field earlier in the morning, and come looking for her.  If your still there, you've got a good chance to harvest him. 

I hate to admit how many gobbles I've heard from the spot I used to be. 

I had one gobbling on roost this a.m. I set up my decoys right under a roosting hen, who promptly flew away oops. He kept gobbling, probably within 75 yards. Then it all went silent. I had a root sticking me in the left butt cheek, so I shift my weight and at that moment I hear snap and see him running away, he was maybe 50 yards away. Im very new at this myself, I'm learning quickly to be very patient and DON'T MOVE AN INCH! Goodluck.

I had one gobbling on roost this a.m. I set up my decoys right under a roosting hen, who promptly flew away oops. He kept gobbling, probably within 75 yards. Then it all went silent. I had a root sticking me in the left butt cheek, so I shift my weight and at that moment I hear snap and see him running away, he was maybe 50 yards away. Im very new at this myself, I'm learning quickly to be very patient and DON'T MOVE AN INCH! Goodluck.

If you can spook that hen without spooking him you should be in great shape, sounds like you were lol. Get him tomorrow