Saw 5 Sika deer today!

First-light

2 hours ago, Core said:

New York has sika deer?! Can they be hunted? Pretty sure I've never seen one.

A few get shot every year on Long Island and you do not have to tag them because they are invasive. Story goes someone had an illegal herd on LI that got lose and started breeding….so the story goes.

2 hours ago, SplitG2 said:

go to deeragwildlifeseedblends on instagram and you can see a picture of a 8pt sika deer I killed out on the island.

Is it the first deer in the video? If so very cool looking mount, nice bucks right there.

The Sika deer in that area come from Southaven County Park just South and West of where they were spotted on the exit ramp-those particular deer are there all the time.They bed right down the hill next to the big beer warehouse and the Police station.Roadkilled Sika are not uncommon right near there.

They were brought in and allowed to flourish in the Park long  ago.There are herds of them in the park.They can just about be fed by hand.I attached a crappy pic taken through the windshield of my truck during a recent fishing trip in the park.When I got closer and rolled down the window they litterally stuck their head in looking for handouts

They can be succesfully hunted in the surrounding area if you know where to go. (fyi- inside the boundaries of the park is not where to go-hunting in there will get you arrested:stop:)Being non native they do not require tagging.

image.jpeg

Edited by Vinny Tagalucci
  • Like 4

Sika can be hunted on assateague Island in Maryland.  No tree stands can be used but ground blinds are allowed I believe.  I have been there a few time but never during hunting season.  It is a beautiful place, hopefully I can get out there one day to hunt.