1st Bird!

QB1

Planned to try and bag one early and still make it to the office by 8.  Knew I had to be heading out of the woods around 7 in order for that to happen.  Got set up by 5:15 (sky was turning light before 5AM) and heard gobbles from across field not long after.  After a few mouth/slate calls I see his Red head crest the hill just across the field I'm watching.  He spots my single hen decoy and goes full strut.  Is working back and forth and makes it across field to about 60.  Nothing I was doing was getting him to come in range.  I knew it was very close to 7 but I didn't want to leave with him right on me fearing spooking him might not let me get another chance.  I almost hoped he would see me just so I could relieve my sore butt and go to work.  He got to a spot I could get a shot I thought was between 40-50yds, I put the Dot on him and boom he dropped right there.  Awesome Hunt, I was jacked up.  He had a 9in Beard and 1 in Spurs.  Crappy pics but I was in a rush and solo.

IMG_3835 (2).PNG

IMG_3833 (2).JPG

• Like 21

Congrats on a fine bird, my friend....

I still remember my first spring gobbler...It was a jake and I killed him May 15, 1975, hunting before work as you were....I still have his wishbone on my memory shelf, with the date written on it...

• Like 2