I may have found a new favorite rifle

Buckmaster7600

I told my wife I wouldn't buy a new gun this month and I lied. Ruger made a limited run of Left Hand American Ranch rifles with a 16" barrel Chambered in 450 bushmaster. I already have an AR in 450 and it's a fun fun but is heavy and I don't like carrying it. This little gun only weight 5.5lbs and is only 36" long. It should make a great big woods rifle and the 450 is legal for Ohio. I can't wait for it to get here so I can start playing. I found 5 boxes of ammo today at local shops so I'll have plenty of brass to get started loading for it, dies are on the way. The nice part about the 450 is it will use the same .451 bullets I load in my 45 colts and 454 casull as well as my muzzleloader. I'm hoping to get the Barnes 275gn out the barrel around 2400fps. This would be right on par with similar 45-70 loads and make it an honest 250yd gun. I'm going to top it with a vx3 1-5. It should be here early next week, I'll try and do a review on here.6ad01ce434d81148cc817f1e88190304.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Nice gun.  It should carry real good with that short barrel and light weight.  I have not heard anything bad about how those Ruger American's work, but being a little "old-school", I am not sold on their looks.   I almost bought one recently (in .243), but got a Marlin 336 BL 30/30 instead, mostly due to the looks.   It is about the same size as the compact Ruger American, but weighs  a heafty 7.5 pounds.  I don't notice it at all, slung on my shoulder, but I can definitely feel where 2 pounds lighter would make the compact Ruger American better for hand carrying and shooting.   

I will probably end up buying a couple Ruger American anyhow, assuming my oldest daughter gets on the the high school rifle team next year.  She says she wants to try out for it.  Our town has had one of the top teams in the state for as long as I can remember.  I will probably get her an American in 22 LR and another compact one in .243, both with 3 or 4X scopes.   That way she can practice a little at home and maybe even take up squirrel and deer hunting.   It sure would be nice to have a little help filling the freezer instead of just emptying it.  Man those kids can eat when they get older and they love venison tacos.   

I let her handle the Marlin 336 BL a little bit, but she complained that it was way too heavy compared to here sister's Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.  The Ruger American weight would fall right between those two.   She will appreciate that weight when and if she gets to shoot the 30/30.   At 5.5 pounds, the recoil of a .243 would probably still be pretty tame on the Ruger American.   In 450, it has got to hammer your shoulder pretty good. 

Edited by wolc123

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I told my I'm hoping to get the Barnes 275gn out the barrel around 2400fps. 

Isn't that a bit optimistic for a 16" barrel? 

Just an observation skimming a thread thats currently on another forum I happen to be reading along on.

Isn't that a bit optimistic for a 16" barrel? 
Just an observation skimming a thread thats currently on another forum I happen to be reading along on.

Time will tell. I have loaded to 2350fps in my AR with a, we will call it "short" for legality reasons barrel and with the American being a bolt I should be able to seat the bullet out a bit further allowing more powder. You just have to load for the short barrel with pistol powders "h110/w296 etc" I think I will be be able to reach 2400 without much trouble. If I'm wrong and only get to @2300fps with 270gn's it's still an honest 200yd gun and I don't think the deer will complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2017 at 9:05 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I told my wife I wouldn't buy a new gun this month and I lied.

I think many of us just don't talk to our wives about the gun purchases. They just kind of magically grow in the safe and we don't remember how it got there.

• Like 1

I think many of us just don't talk to our wives about the gun purchases. They just kind of magically grow in the safe and we don't remember how it got there.

Until you buy your 4th safe

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1