OK.. check in time....

Grizz1219

Who is still hunting turkeys hard??? Who's got tags??? Who's given up??? As posted, I'm tagged out but now I am calling for either my wife or my buddies 14 year old kid... I'll hunt till they are either tagged out or quit wanting to go... 

• Like 3

Who is still hunting turkeys hard??? Who's got tags??? Who's given up??? As posted, I'm tagged out but now I am calling for either my wife or my buddies 14 year old kid... I'll hunt till they are either tagged out or quit wanting to go... 

I am headed out tomorrow morning. Gonna replace my blind when I get home from work today. Fingers crossed I can arrow one

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hunted hard the first week. One under my belt. Now I wait til Saturday the 20th so daughter can have another try at her first and possibly double up. Then I'll hunt again with her Memorial Day I've also got the last 2 days of season to fly solo. I'm sure I'll get out again calling for a buddy locally and try and get him his first at his place in the mean time. By the 20th woods should have popped , birds need to vocalize a bit more as they can't see thru the barren woods and hens on nest. Sounds good on paper but turkeys will be turkeys and you never know what you'll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Doc says no shooting for me, at least for the remainder of turkey season. But still planning on getting my grandson out to hopefully get his first bird. Baseball season is in full swing too, so we have to pick our days.

• Like 3

Games.on now rain or shine..I have comparison now...OMG. competition.. 4x' s!

Not only do you have to outwit the bird but the neighbor too. I personally think you're up to the challenge. Get er done and look forward to a pic of ole Tom by 8 o'clock

I'm in the trying to convince myself to even go out crowd lol! I have not seen or heard a male turkey on my spots. I'm not a turkey hunter but a turkey opportunist! I have never gotten up before dawn to turkey hunt. I have taken a few birds but never while dedicated turkey hunting. I called one in once but no shot two years ago. I don't have much for field spots in my hunting areas and I did check some state prior to season this year and all I saw was another dude looking for turkeys as well.

Hard to get amped up for that. I may take a stroll one of these mornings.

I'm in the trying to convince myself to even go out crowd lol! I have not seen or heard a male turkey on my spots. I'm not a turkey hunter but a turkey opportunist! I have never gotten up before dawn to turkey hunt. I have taken a few birds but never while dedicated turkey hunting. I called one in once but no shot two years ago. I don't have much for field spots in my hunting areas and I did check some state prior to season this year and all I saw was another dude looking for turkeys as well.

Hard to get amped up for that. I may take a stroll one of these mornings.

I dare you to get up at 3:30 tomorrow and be sitting in the woods by 4:45 There's nothing better than listening to the woods wake up this time of year. Hearing a gobble is a bonus. Having one come in , even better. You can thank me for lighting a fire under your butt for what you'll experience later. " Deer hunting fills my freezer , turkey hunting fills my heart "

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I dare you to get up at 3:30 tomorrow and be sitting in the woods by 4:45 There's nothing better than listening to the woods wake up this time of year. Hearing a gobble is a bonus. Having one come in , even better. You can thank me for lighting a fire under your butt for what you'll experience later. " Deer hunting fills my freezer , turkey hunting fills my heart "

Did I mention i'm on beer 3 now, heading out to dinner soon and a few more......3:30 I may be seeing on the way to bed not out of!! lol

• Like 1

I'm down for the count. Kind of pi$$ed about it. Spen't a good amount of time in the woods last season hearing only one gobble. This season was looking good. 

Decided to go Papists route and go out a little later Tuesday morning. 7AM got my camo on, start my truck, load the gun and my pack up. Get in the truck, press the break pedal to put it in gear, pedal felt weird, so I give it a good push, it goes to the floor. Lights come on, try a couple times and again the pedal goes to the floor.

Get out to have a look and the drivers side front break line had exploded. Local (new ) mechanic was booked solid all this week and next week, so have to call again Monday to see if I can get it in the week of the 22nd.

For anyone feeling the need to say I am making excuses, please, drop me a PM. I will give you my address and you can stop by and see for yourself. Then we can call the mechanic and you can hear for yourself he's booked. Is that defensive, yep! It's a learned reaction around here these days. 

I wish all you people still out there the best of luck! 

I'm down for the count. Kind of pi$$ed about it. Spen't a good amount of time in the woods last season hearing only one gobble. This season was looking good. 
Decided to go Papists route and go out a little later Tuesday morning. 7AM got my camo on, start my truck, load the gun and my pack up. Get in the truck, press the break pedal to put it in gear, pedal felt weird, so I give it a good push, it goes to the floor. Lights come on, try a couple times and again the pedal goes to the floor.
Get out to have a look and the drivers side front break line had exploded. Local (new ) mechanic was booked solid all this week and next week, so have to call again Monday to see if I can get it in the week of the 22nd.
For anyone feeling the need to say I am making excuses, please, drop me a PM. I will give you my address and you can stop by and see for yourself. Then we can call the mechanic and you can hear for yourself he's booked. Is that defensive, yep! It's a learned reaction around here these days. 

I wish all you people still out there the best of luck! 

How do you get the truck moving if your lines exploded?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I dare you to get up at 3:30 tomorrow and be sitting in the woods by 4:45 There's nothing better than listening to the woods wake up this time of year. Hearing a gobble is a bonus.

I can think of a better place or two:   Rowing a boat onto a small Adirondack lake before sunrise with a fishing rod and a shotgun.  Bugs and ticks are not a problem out on the fish-infested water at this time of year.   If the gobble is heard, I can row to shore and deal with it and the bugs for a while.  Otherwise, I will stay out on the water until the sun is up a ways, enjoying the fish and the beavers until my mother in law has breakfast ready.  

I started using the oars in the morning before breakfast so that the noisy outboard would not wake up the family back at the house (or the neighbors).  I have never seen any other people out on the lake before sunrise, or even until it was up a bit.  I had not noticed the turkeys or beavers when I went out later or used the outboard.  It seems that the fish also cooperate better when I use the oars.  It will be difficult for me to leave hungry fish to deal with turkeys.  

That is how I will be spending my Memorial day weekend mornings.   The last time I did that (2 years ago), there were gobblers on every hill-top around the lake, but I did not have tags.  This year will be different, and there should be even more around after two consecutive non-winters.  

I could get motivated to head out into the woods on foot if I liked eating turkey, but I like fish a lot better, and I don't like bugs.    My wife , kids, and in-laws do like turkey though, so I will do it for them if I hear any.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, mpavlus said:

I had one gobble from his roost tonight. So I've got a hunt for tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes.

Well, Saturday morning he flew down and walked off with a hen. Sunday morning I got in closer. I saw him fly down. Then he walked off with that hen again. This fall I'm taking her out....

• Like 1

Well, Saturday morning he flew down and walked off with a hen. Sunday morning I got in closer. I saw him fly down. Then he walked off with that hen again. This fall I'm taking her out....

Keep at him You'll catch him at just the right time Call at the hen and you being the new girl in town. You have half the season left. You got yourself a chess match and looking forward to you calling " checkmate "

59 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Still at it in 2 states, well now down to 1. Been in the woods every day since mid march. As of now I am at 172.6 miles on this walking tracking thingamajigger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Now that is dedication.  And I thought my 2.5 mile round trip jaunt on Saturday was a little too far for a bird.  Good for you reeltime.