OK.. check in time....

Grizz1219

Since skiing on the Bay is out due to water level, I may get my tag and go out a time or two next week( to much going on this week ).

When I go about the earliest I hit the woods is 9:00 . Makes it hard at my spot by the house as they have gym class out side in nice weather and it's hard to hear the  birds ......

I have had alot going on and havent gotten out since I took Haley for youth weekend. I attempted it Saturday and discovered that my ground blind had been stolen, so that kind of took the wind out of my sails and I didnt bother yesterday. Im hoping to get Haley in the woods one more time next weekend, and I dont know if Ill even bother hunting myself this year. I dont really care though, Haley getting her first bird was enough of a successful season to me.

• Like 3

I liked all but blind getting stolen. Sucks. Sorry man.
I've had and will have numerous opportunities to hunt but waiting for my daughter to get her first this Saturday. Like you said , that would make my year. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome to see you guys still diving in!! Wife only wants to hunt 1 day a weekend.... We drive 2 hours to get to our spot so I understand her thinking... I worked birds all Saturday morning, had 3 LB's coming in at 70 yards, then the farmer did his usual thing, got him on camera every day doing this very thing all pre season, brought his tractor down to spray something in the field... birds left gobbling, went to the neighboring land, I don't have permission to hunt there... they just would not come back to my farm... left them gobbling... but we will be back this coming weekend for a rematch though!!!! LOL

Getting my second wind here....kiiled a couple in Georgia, one in North Carolina. Life kinda got in the way so I never made it to Virginia this year, drove all the way to Arkport to my camp 2 weekends ago, only to find the creek had risen too high, made it across once, got stuck good, didn't try to get back across after that (saw a lot of birds though). This weekend was a washout once again (yeah, I know I can set up a tent blind, just tired of cleaning all the mud and drying my vest out, and the guns getting rust on it). Have a few days set aside to hunt in NJ next 2 weeks, supposed to get together with a buddy in Maryland this weekend, and the weather's looking promising (finally) :) .

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Awesome to see you guys still diving in!! Wife only wants to hunt 1 day a weekend.... We drive 2 hours to get to our spot so I understand her thinking... I worked birds all Saturday morning, had 3 LB's coming in at 70 yards, then the farmer did his usual thing, got him on camera every day doing this very thing all pre season, brought his tractor down to spray something in the field... birds left gobbling, went to the neighboring land, I don't have permission to hunt there... they just would not come back to my farm... left them gobbling... but we will be back this coming weekend for a rematch though!!!! LOL

I have the same situation where I hunt. If they fly down and go uphill to the fields I can't hunt that farm. All I can do is watch them. If the go downhill to those fields I can hunt them. So I never know what's going to happen. I'm going to try a new plan from the play book this weekend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I liked all but blind getting stolen. Sucks. Sorry man.
I've had and will have numerous opportunities to hunt but waiting for my daughter to get her first this Saturday. Like you said , that would make my year. Fingers crossed

Yeah it sucks, especially since the kids got it for me as a Christmas gift. People just have no class, its easy, not yours, leave it alone. This is on private land and whoever it was drove their truck right out onto a field to boot. None of us that are allowed to be there do that, as it just pisses the farmers off.

Good luck with getting your daughter her first bird!

• Like 3

On 5/13/2017 at 7:00 AM, Adkhunter1590 said:

Which shop rob?

My father in law owns C.A. Albright and Sons on 9W just south of Ravena. From your place it can't be more than 10 mins away. He's got a pretty big shop, and a tow truck.

Hillmans.

Sorry, been working on prices. 

just got back from a six day hunt,well five days over sleep this morning.no luck had a few hens around but not one gobble heard.Still a good trip found a few good spots for deer hunting. Realized how beautiful the adk's are.I'm going to hunt  opening week next year.I always had better luck on the third week in the southern zone in the past.It seemed like it may have been over up there.last month when scouting i saw a lot of birds and sign. 

I have had a great couple of days...established a "relationship" with a gobbler..

Interacted with him this morning  for three hours until he finally quit gobbling at 10:00 AM..

Don't know why, but I'll be back there again tomorrow to try to put what I have learned the last two mornings to work...

THAT is what turkey hunting is about...

This morning he probably gobbled 200 times, all within 100 yards of me..I think I would have killed him if not for the untimely arrival of a deer, who  walked up behind me and snorted TWICE when the bird was about 50 yards away...Those silly ass deer have screwed me up SO many times while spring gobbler hunting..They always show up at the absolutely worst time...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have had a great couple of days...established a "relationship" with a gobbler..

Interacted with him this morning  for three hours until he finally quit gobbling at 10:00 AM..

Don't know why, but I'll be back there again tomorrow to try to put what I have learned the last two mornings to work...

This morning he probably gobbled 200 times, all within 100 yards of me..I think I would have killed him if not for the untimely arrival of a deer, who  walked up behind me and snorted TWICE when the bird was about 50 yards away...Those silly ass deer have screwed me up SO many times while spring gobbler hunting..They always show up at the absolutely worst time...

Sounds like my morning, one deer didn't like me and the other didn't seem to care. Luckily the angry one left before the birds came in. 

I have a couple Toms I have been figuring out. The one we can kill this weekend so long as no other guys park in between us. I'm saving him for my son.  

The other I don't think is going to happen because he has no set pattern. He was in a small highly visible field last week right next to a couple of houses and the road. Almost like he knew he was safe there. I have seen that darn bird all over the area in a mile or two radius. I am guessing that was the bird that gave me the old two gobble salute as he left this morning. 

• Like 1

The most under utilized deer call there is Dan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could have hunted yesterday, today, tomorrow and Friday but awaiting daughter to go on Saturday. Then I'll skip 9 days til Memorial Day to give her another chance.   Hunted 20 days (100 + hours total)  last year and never killed a bird. I was burnt out by June 1st. Only hunted 6 days so far this year and only 4  of those where I usually hunt . Looks like I can max out at 10 days total this year. 

• Like 1

I think I may have lost the 2 I was hunting out back...They have yet to return to their roost.

Neighbors thwack em ? May have just changed roosting location if they were bumped a few times or simply being turkeys being turkeys. Wouldn't give up hope. Combat those black flies , comfy chair and tip one over.

• Like 1

Didn't get out this morning. Had some chores around the house I needed to do before getting some sleep. But I did hear a bunch of gobbles down in the valley while I was out in the yard. So they are still pretty fired up it sounds like. Hopefully make it out one more time this weekend before calling it quits for the season. Already got one bird, and that's good enough for me.

Work on the tail fan mount of the bird I shot the other week is coming along pretty good. I have an idea for a homemade hardwood log cut off that I want to use to mount it with. Can't wait for it to dry and get it all together

Due to heavy rain and canceled vacation time so far - only had two days afield.  Seen nothing and heard one.

Now having to cancel all my vacation time - the person I am covering will be out for at least another month.  So can't get to cousin's wedding out of state or class reunion out of state.  guess that leaves two additional weekend days to hunt and no week days.   Did I mention that having to cover for this person also removes Memorial Day from the hunting days list even though business is closed for the holiday? Lucky me.

Hope everyone else is having a better and less stressful season.

Tuff season so far. No cigar as yet!!! Most of my honey holes of the past have dried up, nary a peep out of those places so far. I have had years where all the action happens in the last few days of the season. I hope that this will be another one of those years!!!