New Hunter Intro

GPeters

Hello All,

Just thought I would drop a message saying 'thank you' for the add and hoping that you all have great luck and stay safe this (and all) seasons. I enjoy the outdoors and decided to get licensed last year. I'm new to the game but always looking to learn and try things. If anyone ever feels like they want to teach a thing or two, I'm open to invites to outings. I've got 4 kids to feed and I'm hoping to put some food on the table and enjoy some relaxation out of the office. I welcome all tips and tricks!

First question is opinion - your preferred caliber for hunting deer and black bear (and why)... one rifle & caliber to cover both animals... and... go!

Thanks!

For me... 25-06 is by far one of the best deer hunting calibers bar none... shot a lot of deer with it and the longest track job was 20 yds.. seriously... As for black bears, they have less lung capacity than deer, stay away from bone and they probably won't take a step... Welcome to the hunting community... As for tips... Patience while on stand, confidence in your stand locations and putting the time in scouting will get you more animals than any other tip... 

• Like 1

Welcome! Glad you are joining us in the forum, and the hunting woods! A 270 will kill anything roaming the woods here in NYS. Plenty enough to get it done, with mild recoil, and ammo can be found anywhere, at a cost effective price. And almost all gun manufacturers, make entry level rifles that shoot pretty good! A couple of deer would  absolutely help to feed four growing kids too! What part of the state do you live in? We have some fine hunters, from all over the state here. And I know, someone would be willing to help get you started, including myself. Come back here often, to ask any questions you may have!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Welcome, if I had to pick one it would be a 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the caliber that seems to be widely preferred and was my choice after a great deal of research. It really came down to this, and the 30-06. The .270 & .243 were recommended and had great potential from a ballistics standpoint for deer, but from what I read was a little light for bear. I'm not rich so I'm looking to buy one rifle that is diverse to get me hunting more game. 

27 minutes ago, grampy said:

Welcome! Glad you are joining us in the forum, and the hunting woods! A 270 will kill anything roaming the woods here in NYS. Plenty enough to get it done, with mild recoil, and ammo can be found anywhere, at a cost effective price. And almost all gun manufacturers, make entry level rifles that shoot pretty good! A couple of deer would  absolutely help to feed four growing kids too! What part of the state do you live in? We have some fine hunters, from all over the state here. And I know, someone would be willing to help get you started, including myself. Come back here often, to ask any questions you may have!

I live in Fairport (Monroe County) and my family has a lake house near East Bay so I've scouted Lake Shore Marshes area (8F) and plan to hunt there. I'm also very familiar with the Cranberry Lake area in the ADK as I have camped there for years. We have planned a black bear hunt there later this year. 

I would LOVE to go out with someone, even if it is to scout so I can learn. I'm finding that my biggest obstacles are

A ) Access to huntable land

B ) My lack of family and close friends interested in hunting. I'm watching a lot of videos, reading a lot, etc. I crave some real hand-me-down knowledge.

I've communicated regularly with a DEC biologist that has been very helpful in answering my questions. I even clued them into an error with conflicting information that was on their website :-)

This is the caliber that seems to be widely preferred and was my choice after a great deal of research. It really came down to this, and the 30-06. The .270 & .243 were recommended and had great potential from a ballistics standpoint for deer, but from what I read was a little light for bear. I'm not rich so I'm looking to buy one rifle that is diverse to get me hunting more game. 

243 and 270 will kill a bear just as dead as the rest. My main reason for choosing 308 is because of ammo availability.

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

243 and 270 will kill a bear just as dead as the rest. My main reason for choosing 308 is because of ammo availability.

You sound just like the guy that I share a wall with at work, lol. I wish I were rich so I could buy one of each to fire them and see how they feel but, I'm not. I'll be picking up the Savage Trophy Hunter 11/111 chambered in .308 here in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

You sound just like the guy that I share a wall with at work, lol. I wish I were rich so I could buy one of each to fire them and see how they feel but, I'm not. I'll be picking up the Savage Trophy Hunter 11/111 chambered in .308 here in the next couple of weeks.

I have more damn guns than I know what to do with and I still hunt with a 308 some times.

• Like 1

Well, after much reading and researching, I went last night to Bass Pro and picked up the Trophy Hunter 11/111 w/ Nikon 3-9 x 40 in .308. Couldn't be happier with the deal I got really.

I redeemed some CC points for $225 in gift cards and got the price down to around $400. Bass Pro's website offered a rebate on it but it turns out that it was an error. The manager offered me an additional $50 off and a $50 gift card after I called them today to let them know. Auburn store, manager was Mike. Seemed like a nice guy and I wasn't too bent out of shape since it wasn't his fault.

I liked the bolt on this much better than the AXIS XP II that I had held. I'm taking it out Friday to zero the scope. Let's hope I like it as much after!

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, GPeters said:

Hello All,

Just thought I would drop a message saying 'thank you' for the add and hoping that you all have great luck and stay safe this (and all) seasons. I enjoy the outdoors and decided to get licensed last year. I'm new to the game but always looking to learn and try things. If anyone ever feels like they want to teach a thing or two, I'm open to invites to outings. I've got 4 kids to feed and I'm hoping to put some food on the table and enjoy some relaxation out of the office. I welcome all tips and tricks!

First question is opinion - your preferred caliber for hunting deer and black bear (and why)... one rifle & caliber to cover both animals... and... go!

Thanks!

Welcome!

Where are you trying to hunt?  For western NY, you really need to learn the lay of the lands to figure out where public land hunting is viable.  Some areas are half decent, many areas get a lot of pressure.  Bow season typically, though not always, sees less hunting pressure than gun season on state lands.  You could also look into getting into a lease on farm country.

For caliber selection, I agree with @Buckmaster7600.  A .308 is a very good, and widely available, jack-of-all trades cartridge.  If you were to be consistently hunting the bigger end of the big game spectrum, a solid argument could be made for other cartridges.  But for typical northeast hunting, a. 308 rifle is a solid, well-rounded option.  Plenty of used options on gunbroker too which I wouldn't shy away from (good barrel life + minimal shooting from most owners).

I'm out of the Rochester area too.  I'm only 2-3 years into hunting as well, but I still consider myself new.  If you ever want to meet up to talk shop, send me a PM.  I don't run into a lot of fellow hunters in Rochester...most everyone around here seems to think that steaks and burgers magically appear out of thin air.

Edit: Just saw the update on your purchase.  Good choice and good deal!  I have a Savage Model 11 Lightweight myself.  The Model 11's are good hunting rifles.

Edited by Padre86