Release

Swamp_bucks

My oldest daughter is 11 and she wants to shoot archery. She has a 2 year old missions bow setup with a d-loop so she can use a release. She can draw bow back fine with her fingers but struggles with a release.  Only tried the wrist style release. 

Is there a release to help with this?

Should i promote her shooting fingers?

I know its a preference from person to person shes just starting to get frustrated.  Just trying to get her some extra options.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Try something like this release....she can now pull more with her shoulder and focus more on her trigger finger to release from the d-loop.cbd06b7016a62e21a9ae43d8d7bcd357.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have arthritis in my hands / fingers and find this type of release helpful as you are pulling with you wrist and shoulder vs the fingers / hand . 

Those two choices should work well, but why not keep her with the finger release for this summer. 

When I taught archery, I found it easier for most youth to shoot fingers.  Less to worry about. Punching the trigger is the main hurdle to overcome with a release.

Now I agree, fingers are less forgiving then a release, but if one becomes proficient with fingers, transitioning to the release is easy. 

• Like 1

I had a terrible problem when going from fingers to a release...I bought one similar to the wrist strap one mlammershirt posted...it sits in my hunting last resort bin. I thought about and still do about the one TCll has shown...though I just know it would find it's way to the ground.. This is similar to the one I have from tru ball. Mines put away at the moment...I love the buckle strap. I love the movement and length of shaft and the ease of trigger adjustment. the shaft is just long enough for me to grab in my pull,the strap strong enough to allow me to to have a relaxed hand and fingers to avoid a premature release...That was a problem when I first started using one. Dang if I wasn't accidentally hitting the trigger early. For the speed and torque I was told and I know it to be true for me, releases are the only way to go on these new bows..I own a mission Venture. I shot fingers for years with the older Hoyt  but it was a much slower bow then this Venture.. Have her go to a shop with a range and see if they would allow  her to try out a few releases...mine was around $85.00 4 yrs ago,got it in camo.

http://truball.com/Predator.html

My 8yr old daughter shoots a longbow with fingers.  I am sure at some point she will try a compound and release but I am happy she is starting with fingers and no sight.  I learned so much more about shooting a bow well, both compound and non-compounds, once I started shooting traditional bows.  I am not a coach, so other may be more qualified to offer advice, but I would stick with fingers for now.

3 hours ago, growalot said:

I had a terrible problem when going from fingers to a release...I bought one similar to the wrist strap one mlammershirt posted...it sits in my hunting last resort bin. I thought about and still do about the one TCll has shown...though I just know it would find it's way to the ground.. This is similar to the one I have from tru ball. Mines put away at the moment...I love the buckle strap. I love the movement and length of shaft and the ease of trigger adjustment. the shaft is just long enough for me to grab in my pull,the strap strong enough to allow me to to have a relaxed hand and fingers to avoid a premature release...That was a problem when I first started using one. Dang if I wasn't accidentally hitting the trigger early. For the speed and torque I was told and I know it to be true for me, releases are the only way to go on these new bows..I own a mission Venture. I shot fingers for years with the older Hoyt  but it was a much slower bow then this Venture.. Have her go to a shop with a range and see if they would allow  her to try out a few releases...mine was around $85.00 4 yrs ago,got it in camo.

i also shot fingers for yrs.  Prob 25+ yrs.

The older longer sometimes slower bows were definatly easier to shoot fingers.  

The newer shorter bows have too much finger pinch at full draw to accurately shoot without a release. The short brace hight doesn't help either. 

I tried several styles of release aids. Believe it or not, truefire use to make a release that you can shoot like a normal release, OR you could close the jaws around the loop/string and holy the trigger back while drawing the bow. You would release the string by letting up/relaxing you index finger on the trigger, similar to shooting fingers. I'm still using one of these today. I've got 2 of them. If they break or I loose them, I'm screwed as they know longer make them.  

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the info.  I have a better idea on the direction we need to look now.  Good ideas both ways so i guess all we have left to do is go shoot a couple styles some of you mentioned along with fingers and see what works best. Even got some ideas for myself since I was thinking of switching as well.  Let everyone know hopefully in a week or so what weve come up with.

3 hours ago, mowin said:

The newer shorter bows have too much finger pinch at full draw to accurately shoot without a release. The short brace hight doesn't help either. 

I tried several styles of release aids. Believe it or not, truefire use to make a release that you can shoot like a normal release, OR you could close the jaws around the loop/string and holy the trigger back while drawing the bow. You would release the string by letting up/relaxing you index finger on the trigger, similar to shooting fingers. I'm still using one of these today. I've got 2 of them. If they break or I loose them, I'm screwed as they know longer make them.  

Good point on the newer compounds.  I didn't think of the difficulty of shooting them with fingers

hey every one im not 100% on this i got it from my friend whos  86 yrs old and he shoots fingers he told me that a bow must be set up to shoot fingers i believe he said the nock must be offset 1/8 to 1/4 '' above the rest .a bow set up for a release is straight back . please check with a pro shot it dont hurt to ask . like i said i got this from a man whos been around archery since howard hill was around

My 10 year old shoots a Scott. But she only has a genesis bow cranked all the way up now but when she first started shouting the mission was just to heavy of a bow in hand for her. She's been shooting great as this will probably be the last year with her set up.

IMG_0578.JPG

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

My 8yr old daughter shoots a longbow with fingers.  I am sure at some point she will try a compound and release but I am happy she is starting with fingers and no sight.  I learned so much more about shooting a bow well, both compound and non-compounds, once I started shooting traditional bows.  I am not a coach, so other may be more qualified to offer advice, but I would stick with fingers for now.

Of course your daughter shoots stick an string Moog would you have it any other way LOL....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

hey every one im not 100% on this i got it from my friend whos  86 yrs old and he shoots fingers he told me that a bow must be set up to shoot fingers i believe he said the nock must be offset 1/8 to 1/4 '' above the rest .a bow set up for a release is straight back . please check with a pro shot it dont hurt to ask . like i said i got this from a man whos been around archery since howard hill was around

Correct. The knock point for release is different then for finger release.

My 10 year old shoots a Scott. But she only has a genesis bow cranked all the way up now but when she first started shouting the mission was just to heavy of a bow in hand for her. She's been shooting great as this will probably be the last year with her set up.
IMG_0578.JPG

Emma's got the same release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, growalot said:

I have the same release-love it

i'm on the bandwagon that ....very young go with fingers and a recurve or longbow, but once using a compound switch to a release.  biggest part of with the buckle releases especially with kids is getting one short enough.  if they have to reach they'll form bad habits and pluck at it. jaws that aren't free floating like your target grade handhelds are actually better as it doesn't take much manipulation to close around the d-loop.  my target stan releases are nice but i've seen an adult want to throw one that wasn't use to it and couldn't get the jaws closed.  go with a hook style if you can find one that fits well enough.  kids get frustrated with just trying to hook up sometimes.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:49 AM, mowin said:

I've tried fingers just for giggles on the newer short Axle to axle compounds. It isn't any fun. Really compresses the fingers together. 

28 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

biggest part of with the buckle releases especially with kids is getting one short enough.  if they have to reach they'll form bad habits and pluck at it. jaws that aren't free floating like your target grade handhelds are actually better as it doesn't take much manipulation to close around the d-loop.  .

I use to use a free flight and liked the release. Nice part is that "gloves" come in different sizes and an extra small or small would easily help a youth out with having the trigger in the proper position.  

http://www.winnarchery.com/

The main drawback of these Winn releases is they are super cumbersome to try and do anything with the hand the "glove" is on! Can adjust the amount of travel before actual release of arrow, which I never found the need to fool with. Getting the exact, correct size can be a challenge too! Last time I bought one was ~5-6yrs ago and they were a little hard to find other than online. Meaning - Getting a replacement in an emergency situation basically put your hunting on hold. Not sure if their availability has improved since!?! Other than that, they are ideal for kids, hunters with smaller frames or us old farts with declining muscles.

On 5/23/2017 at 1:53 AM, nyslowhand said:

The main drawback of these Winn releases is they are super cumbersome to try and do anything with the hand the "glove" is on! Can adjust the amount of travel before actual release of arrow, which I never found the need to fool with. Getting the exact, correct size can be a challenge too! Last time I bought one was ~5-6yrs ago and they were a little hard to find other than online. Meaning - Getting a replacement in an emergency situation basically put your hunting on hold. Not sure if their availability has improved since!?! Other than that, they are ideal for kids, hunters with smaller frames or us old farts with declining muscles.

You listed the exact draw backs of why I switched from it. The  positives I saw were they were accurate to use, were size specific and didn't' get that Pinch that  can happen with a true wrist release.