Cayuga Lake

The_Real_TCIII

• 4 weeks later...

I see your shirt, Tacks....Naraggansett....I drank quite a bit of that  in Newport, RI  back in 1971-73 when I was working for Uncle Sam..

I also caught some big blues and stripers right off the destroyer piers....Loved the place, except for the snobby ass local girls who wouldn't even talk to you if you were a sailor..  I don't think they  aware of the PURE thoughts that were going through my mind at that time..........Pure LUST !!...hehehehe....

• Like 1

I see your shirt, Tacks....Naraggansett....I drank quite a bit of that  in Newport, RI  back in 1971-73 when I was working for Uncle Sam..

I also caught some big blues and stripers right off the destroyer piers....Loved the place, except for the snobby ass local girls who wouldn't even talk to you if you were a sailor..  I don't think they  aware of the PURE thoughts that were going through my mind at that time..........Pure LUST !!...hehehehe....

It's probably because you wouldn't stop looking at their t!ts, ever if they were eye level for ya, pure thoughts? Maybe if you didn't start every conversation with "hey you wanna Bang?"

Haha, seriously getting lady friends in a military town is a tough job! It's a target rich environment for them and the odds are stacked against you.

Some good looking fish! It's a bit of a haul but I hear the trout fishing is excellent and something I am going to get out and try one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll be striper/fluke fishing there Thursday morning, hopefully pics will be forthcoming

• Like 1

I was on Cayuga June 3rd. The bait shop on the south end has live sawbellies in stock. We hooked them with a threaded double hook, 4' leader followed by a bead and a 3/4 ounce egg sinker.  Onto the bottom in about 80-90' of water. Fished open bail with line under a rubber band around the handle so the fish can run. we had 5 on and only landed 2. Water was really rough. 

• Like 2

I have a limited amount of experience on Cayuga, but have done well launching at Dean's Cove  State launch on the west side north of Taughhannock.  Most fishing I have done there was vertical jigging for lakers and we did well in about 80-100FOW perhaps a mile north of  dean's Cove launch..

I also launched at Taughhannock and we got a bunch of BIG lakers  jigging Northland rattle

spoons and diamond jigs in about 100 FOW.

Many of the locals favor 1-2oz, jigheads and plastic flukes( usually white)  for jigging for lakers, but most of my experience has been with metal jigging spoons.

Cayuga has excellent fishing for landlocks, rainbows, browns and lakers, and I suspect that many of your standard trolling presentations will work, downriggers, dipseys, wire or thermocline rigs like the good old fashioned Seth Green rig...

• Like 4

Boats ready for the morning with the riggers and lead to start. 
Thanks for the info everyone anything away from Erie and Ontario throws me lol

Good luck lake has been on fire for trout and 'LL. We had luck with a blue fly behind a spin dr on a dipsy. Just bought these spin and glow rigs from gambler rigs to try this weekend on Canandaigua and Cayuga came very very heavily recommended for lakers
094ca1ca32266990b29739847c7369a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good luck lake has been on fire for trout and 'LL. We had luck with a blue fly behind a spin dr on a dipsy. Just bought these spin and glow rigs from gambler rigs to try this weekend on Canandaigua and Cayuga came very very heavily recommended for lakers

094ca1ca32266990b29739847c7369a1.jpg&key=134da570cca0482711f0d4977ff5ef774a2f86fb4511d80118992edaa4a1f194

You won't be disappointed with those gambler rigs! Just go SLOW and be close to bottom!

• Like 2

With my kicker I have to use 24" bags to go that slow. I hate going that slow because I'm stuck using only 3 rods "2 riggers and a thumper" but it is more effective than anything else. Usually after we catch 10-15 "doesn't take long after you find them" we will switch to a spoon/ flasher meat program so we can run coppers and dipseys and hope for a salmon.

• Like 1

With my kicker I have to use 24" bags to go that slow. I hate going that slow because I'm stuck using only 3 rods "2 riggers and a thumper" but it is more effective than anything else. Usually after we catch 10-15 "doesn't take long after you find them" we will switch to a spoon/ flasher meat program so we can run coppers and dipseys and hope for a salmon.

I'm running 2 24 in bags with my 3.0 I haven't tried that slow but know I can get to 1.5 or so will just have to try no kicker for me. Thanks for the info any other tips for the gamblers?

I'm running 2 24 in bags with my 3.0 I haven't tried that slow but know I can get to 1.5 or so will just have to try no kicker for me. Thanks for the info any other tips for the gamblers?

Like most other lake trout rigs if you're not bumping bottom you're not deep enough. For what ever reason most of out fish don't hit the gambler rigs but most hit a spin n glow that we run on a 1lb sinker down the chute, if you're going over 1-1.3mph I would go to a 2lb sinker to keep it as close to straight down as possible because you want it close the cowbells. The gamblers defiantly bring the fish in so they are important but the wire "thumper" rod gets 75% of the hits.

• Like 1