Looking for some ideas/opinions..

First off, for anyone who has heard it before, i'm talking on behalf of my "Murder Plot".. in this discussion lol

In the Aerial Map, This is a neighboring property I basically have exclusive rights too.. The big weird shaped white box is an area that is being logged, actually i would say 85 -90% clear cut for all of its soft wood, pine, poplar etc... The gray lines/box are new, nice and wide dug roads they dozed to skid the wood out. IMO great for food plot trails clovers and grains.. The red lines are the property lines. Green areas are food plots and its species labeled.. Black lines are food plot screens. My "Murder Plot" is the plot unlabeled, all that is left of it, is a patchy White and Red clover plot. The 2nd picture i took yesterday from the yellow star looking south. And the Drone picture is a picture of this same area, this past January, From the East looking West(Neighbors clover plot in back).. 

So I'm looking for some ideas, I dont have the extra time this year again, to spend making things perfect and exactly how i want them to be, having a baby boy due next month. But  to get at least some groceries going for now, i was thinking as soon as they are done skidding(which should be real soon) and right before a rain, seeding some grain and clovers into my plot and into the extended "gray dozed area" south of it. Or planting some bean/pea blend in there for summer forage and over seeding Brassicas/Clovers in August, figuring that beans in an area of this size will get hammered. This area is awesome for early archery season, hence the reason i had clovers here. So ideally id like it to be good for early bow.. and possibly Late season as neighbors typically give up..  

I am in competition with the neighbors trying to have better food and pull deer lol  Many well managed acres around..  

Thanks in Advance 

gham-drone-DJI_0961.jpg

20170516_114735.jpg

murder plot2.png

Yea if i can get it cheap enough, depending on the shipping price.. im going to grab a mix of ag beans, group 1 and a group 3.5, lab lab, and cow peas. I've made up my mind i guess. It will be a first for me planting the cow peas and lab lab, anything to expect here, grow?? beside hopefully annihilation from the whitetails lol

How much thick bedding cover is in the area? And I mean thick..

Thick cover will hold deer in high pressure areas, so if the neighboring properties have lots of hunting pressure, but only older growth woods for bedding, that thick stuff would attract deer like a magnet. Browse, plus protection from wind, hunters.

Nothing super thick. Lots of bedding near by but, in the logged area it's already nasty thick with tops, and I'd only imagine even more thick in a couple years with new growth emerging. If granted permission I will plant some fruit trees as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ohhh . and no or few beans for us...growing season is too long 90 days and the deer just kept them clipped and bushing ..regrowth was great but couldn't set flowers...it is a foliage plant here and those are iron clay...free shipping on 10 pounds they are a small seed...as you can see handed the thick competition of the hemp very well there was also peas and turnips in that plot.

https://hancockseed.com/iron-clay-cow-peas-25-lb-bag-699.html

• Like 1

I will be doing pure soybeans, if I can get ahold of the tara soybeans I will get a bag of them and mixed with the ag beans I have already picked up. If they get hammered I will just overseed in the brassicas when they're due. I will have 3.5 acres between 2 soybean plots planted. And they will be about yards apart.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I understand your monocrop concerns.  I also understand deer like diversity.  However, Soybeans usually need to be in planted in excess of 3+ acres for deer not to destroy them.  The goal is to get to seed pod development and have good amount of tonnage for late season.  reducing the amount of soybeans by planting another crop I wouldn't do at initial planting.  I do however recommend to top dress the soybeans with cereal grains later. just my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on Plot:I planted the Plot its self(not the logging Rd) with Real World Soybeans on 5/31/17. Later than i wanted to but, as we all know the weather hasn't been the best. I also overseeded the southern half of the plot with Trophy Clovers from DeerAg, and seeded the new logging rd that joins it from the west side with these clovers as well. With all the rain we had germination is better than expected for sure. Cant wait to see how this turns out. This years plot is about 3x the size it was last year and mostly it should be soybeans unless they get over browsed. 2nd pic is 8 days after planting, and the day i over seeded the clovers. You can see the clovers on the ground with the soybean seeds.I only scratched the surface, spread the soybeans and rolled them in.. 

Update Murder Plot.PNG

20170606_163406.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Update on Plot:I planted the Plot its self(not the logging Rd) with Real World Soybeans on 5/31/17. Later than i wanted to but, as we all know the weather hasn't been the best. I also overseeded the southern half of the plot with Trophy Clovers from DeerAg, and seeded the new logging rd that joins it from the west side with these clovers as well. With all the rain we had germination is better than expected for sure. Cant wait to see how this turns out. This years plot is about 3x the size it was last year and mostly it should be soybeans unless they get over browsed. 2nd pic is 8 days after planting, and the day i over seeded the clovers. You can see the clovers on the ground with the soybean seeds.I only scratched the surface, spread the soybeans and rolled them in.. 

Update Murder Plot.PNG

20170606_163406.jpg

We are on the same pace, this is eight days after as well. Clover and chicory already coming up. Same process scratched the surface dragged it under and had a good amount of rain the day after. So far so good

Screenshot_20170607-120718.png

• Like 1

Nice, with all the rains and cooler temps recently it looks like we are finally in for a good warm up and some sunshine to get things really taking off. I am looking forward to it. Put in my 2 other soybean plots last night, they are earlier maturing conventional beans so i can overseed the the greens come August and September and they should take off good. Cant wait to see the results, A seclusion cage and a trail cam will probably each be put up per plot. i have just under 4 acres of bean between 3 spots. All 3 spots are within a 1/3 of mile from each other. Early Bow and Late seasons should be good!!