THIEF!

moog5050

Dam things!ive had em come into my calls while i was turkey hunting

We had one last year come sneaking in on dekes. It got within a few feet and skedaddled when it hit our scent trail. Never saw a fox run so fast. We've heard them barking about 50% of the time we've been out this year. There ain't nothing like a good ole coon fight though to raise your neck hairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

they eat a lot.  We've seen them try to run down a fawn.  Formed a wagon train with UTVs and ATVs and ran it off into the next country side. lol  Probably just ended up with a turkey egg when it got there anyway.  I wished they'd eat more woodchucks on the farm instead.

• Like 3

Some might remember the attached picture, it was probably 7-8 years ago. 

I was sneaking around and wanted to peer out into a plowed field that occasionally held a strutting Tom turkey.  I crept closer and closer to the edge of the field and then I spotted this red fox coming my way.  I froze and prepared to defend myself if it came to that...........thankfully it did not.

As he got within 30 feet or so I  noticed something in its mouth.  I stood up and he dropped his prize and ran like a scalded cat. :)

After he was out of sight, I headed over to where his morsel landed.............(shotgun shell for comparison)

null_zps6b1485d5.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

Bad season here. I've only had 5 days so far that I could get out. Haven't seen any Tom's and one hen. But I have gotten 4 fox and a coyote mid last month I had about 30 turkeys in my spot. 2 hens were sitting on eggs last week of April both nest are ripped apart and no movement or calls. Its been a rough season.

Bad season here. I've only had 5 days so far that I could get out. Haven't seen any Tom's and one hen. But I have gotten 4 fox and a coyote mid last month I had about 30 turkeys in my spot. 2 hens were sitting on eggs last week of April both nest are ripped apart and no movement or calls. Its been a rough season.

You do realize predator season is closed right ?!

• Like 1

They are all feeding litters now...So many more mouths to feed and so much competition. This with fewer ground nesting birds...I can't remember the last time I heard drumming. Was 10 yrs ago they were periodically giving me heart failure ,flushing under foot,literally. Just one in the swamp in the last two years.