my new baby

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, Savagehunter said:

thanks guys 270 win  and probablly a Leupold vx31 3.5 to 10

Sweet rig, Savage...My GO TO rifle is a M70 in .280 rem....With that fat recoil pad, I expected yours was a magnum of some sort...

Fine looking rifle, and in .270 win...I think I love you...

• Like 3

If LH Winchester model 70's were a little more easily procured, I'd have one.  Especially if they were short action. :)

A long action LH 30-06 would probably make its way into my safe if the price was right.  Lord knows I have enough ammo for one.......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Sweet rig, Savage...My GO TO rifle is a M70 in .280 rem....With that fat recoil pad, I expected yours was a magnum of some sort...

Fine looking rifle, and in .270 win...I think I love you...

280 in model 70 we may be brothers from another mother . Love my Winchesters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

30-30

I like that baby.  So much that I traded a scoped bolt-action rifle for a similar one (Marlin 336 BL) and a few boxes of ammo.   My daughter and I have been sharpening our open-sight, lever-action marksmanship skills with her Daisy red-ryder BB gun.   I put a "big loop" & adult-sized stock ($40 on-line from Chief AJ), and sling mounts on that $30 toy, to make it almost dimensionally identical to the Marlin 30/30 336 BL rifle.   The BB's ($5.00 for 5000) are much more affordable than 30/30 or even .22 rimfire ammo, and the silent report does not aggravate her mother & little sister in the house (or the neighbors).      

The shooting game we play involves hooking a beer or pop can to a piece of bailing wire, and hanging it from a tree, 15 yards off our back deck.   I pay her $1.00 for every can she cuts in half.  She likes the challenge of hitting it as it is swinging, and can usually cut it in half with less than 50 shots.  The skills she develops there should serve her well on rifle team in high school next year, and hopefully for some squirrel and deer hunting.  I showed her how to increase the challenge by shooting the clip off and dropping the upper half.   Maybe I'll give her a 5 dollar bill if she does that.  It took me close to 100 shots to do it.

I have shot the Marlin 3 times so far, at gallon milk jugs filled with water, from 40 yards, offhand.  My first shot missed.  I assumed it was high, and was able to pop both jugs in about 2 seconds with my next two shots, by aiming a little low.   That "big-loop" really makes it easy to cycle that rifle fast, and should be real handy when wearing gloves while deer hunting in the cold.   My daughter has not shot it yet, and complained it was heavy when she shouldered it.   I think I will start adding weights to her BB gun, so she can work her way up to it.              

• Like 1

Those levers are fun to shoot.  I had one years ago, and was starting to miss it, especially now that my in-laws moved up to the edge of the Adirondack park.   A compact, fast-handling, open-sighted lever action is ideal for still hunting up there, especially on rainy days.  I still have half a box of 170 grain ammo left from the old days.   I am going to sight the new one in with 150's, to minimize the recoil for my daughter.    If you can't find the key, shoot me a pm, and I can set you up with a 100 yard range, just over the Erie county line.         

59 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Those levers are fun to shoot.  I had one years ago, and was starting to miss it, especially now that my in-laws moved up to the edge of the Adirondack park.   A compact, fast-handling, open-sighted lever action is ideal for still hunting up there, especially on rainy days.  I still have half a box of 170 grain ammo left from the old days.   I am going to sight the new one in with 150's, to minimize the recoil for my daughter.    If you can't find the key, shoot me a pm, and I can set you up with a 100 yard range, just over the Erie county line.         

I'm a big fan of open sights.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm a big fan of open sights.

Usually, I prefer scopes, but there is a time and a place for open sights.   Still-hunting thru and around heavy cover in windy, rainy, snowy conditions is one for sure.    Opening weekend of rifle season was like that up in the Adirondacks last year.  I was not too happy with my scoped bolt-action then.   So much not, that I skipped the hunt on the last morning and headed home early. Fortunately, conditions improved, for a scoped rifle, on our next trip up there over the long Thanksgiving weekend.  I was able to us it to put a bullet exactly where it needed to go (from a somewhat difficult angle) to get the job done.  

With open sights, it is more of a matter of putting one (of several at times) "close enough" to get the job done at close range.  I have seen about 4 deer while still-hunting up there for every one that I have seen while sitting, so having the right gun to do that in any weather conditions is critical.  That means having at least one with open sights.  The relatively high rate of fire, and ease of handling in heavy cover, are also big advantages of a compact lever, over a full-sized bolt action.   Looks are of lesser importance to function for me, but enough of one to take pumps or semi-autos out of the running.  I think levers and bolt-actions are way better looking.          

Edited by wolc123

35 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Usually, I prefer scopes, but there is a time and a place for open sights.   Still-hunting thru and around heavy cover in windy, rainy, snowy conditions is one for sure.    Opening weekend of rifle season was like that up in the Adirondacks last year.  I was not too happy with my scoped bolt-action then.   So much not, that I skipped the hunt on the last morning and headed home early. Fortunately, conditions improved, for a scoped rifle, on our next trip up there over the long Thanksgiving weekend.  I was able to us it to put a bullet exactly where it needed to go (from a somewhat difficult angle) to get the job done.  

With open sights, it is more of a matter of putting one (of several at times) "close enough" to get the job done at close range.  I have seen about 4 deer while still-hunting up there for every one that I have seen while sitting, so having the right gun to do that in any weather conditions is critical.  That means having at least one with open sights.  The relatively high rate of fire, and ease of handling in heavy cover, are also big advantages of a compact lever, over a full-sized bolt action.   Looks are of lesser importance to function for me, but enough of one to take pumps or semi-autos out of the running.  I think levers and bolt-actions are way better looking.          

I just enjoy the challenge of good groups with open sights . It seems everything i own with a scope is just point and shoot and hit the mark . I like the room for error placed on the shooter with open sights .

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I just enjoy the challenge of good groups with open sights . It seems everything i own with a scope is just point and shoot and hit the mark . I like the room for error placed on the shooter with open sights .

I prefer to minimize the challenge.  For me, killing a deer at close range with open sights is less of one than trying to do it with a wet and/or fogged over scope.   By the same token, in good weather conditions,  it is a lot easier for me to put the bullet exactly where it needs to go, at long range, using a scope.   I also prefer the scope at short range in good weather conditions.  I use variable power scopes, set to the lowest magnification (2X  or 3X), most of the time.   I only crank them up to 7X or 9X, if the shot is long (greater than 100 yards) at a standing still deer, or on the range while sighting in.

If my daughter does get on the rifle team at school this fall, I will probably get her a Ruger American 22 LR with open sights.  That will be better for her to practice at home with.  I don't think they allow telescopic sights for the matches (I know they did not back when I was in high school).   If she decides to deer hunt, then I will probably get us another one in .243 caliber (with a 3-9X scope).  I will also use that one for woodchucks and coyotes, since I traded my  Ruger 22/250 bolt for the Marlin 336 BL lever.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1