Crowd gathers in New Orleans to watch statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee being removed

Crowd gathers in New Orleans to watch statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee being removed

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-orleans-general-lee-20170519-story.html

"Throughout the years, the Lee monument has served as a focal point for Civil War reunions and a host of civic celebrations. In 1891, it was a gathering spot for the mob responsible for the largest mass lynching in American history: the killing of 11 Italian American men for their alleged role in the murder of the city’s police chief, David Hennessy."

In my opinion it is a shame, it is our history, whether anyone liked it or not. No one says you can't have your opinion about it, but to start removing these statutes is trying to rewrite history, by trying to make someone feel good.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Probably would have started rioting, assaulting people and attacking police if they didn't get their way having these symbols that are part of American taken down. Typical response from the left for sure. Whats next, sand blast away Mount Rushmore?

• Like 2

They need not burn them...They just rewrite them and "retire" the old ones.

Some one tell me how does the fact Italians and Irish immigrants hated each other have any thing to do with a Civil war monument...Being from.a family of immigrant Irish Americans I can tell you first hand Lee's statue figured in very little if anything when it came to a , I'm sure was an yIrish, mob killing Italian Americans for killing an Irish cop. Why do they add such non rated crap to these stories. Although it does point out one poignant fact..blacks didn't corner the market on being lynched...just ask some of the other immigrants brought here as a labor force...Oh that's right it's Ok when it's called indentured servitude and people of other races had the ability to get over it already it was decades ago. Doesn't make any of it right,but it doesn't mean generations later anyone is owed anything. What needs to be taught is as with any tree or plant a good root system is needed to live. That said, a good root pruning is needed occasionally to thrive and grow. If people want society to prune it's roots then the individuals wanting It need to prune theirs as we and move on...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, greg54 said:

Whats next, sand blast away Mount Rushmore

ELLENTON, Fla. (AP) — After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on “The Greatest Show on Earth.” The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

So the article stated...That they were going into storage or private ownership... both scenarios basically disappear them. The parks will be renamed, further easing,unless they have been documented in print in. Books or now the net..for nothing can escape the net.:wink:

• Like 1

It's a sad state of affairs we have come too. The snowflake liberals just keep having thier way because very few will fight . If you all don't feel it I do. We are in a civil war again but unlike the last this one is being fought without honor . God save our country from those that wish it destroyed. 

• Like 4

Here is something i Don't think I've ever seen a truck with a union flag on it. Has anyone for that matter?think about.  The south lost.  What is this infatuation with confederate flags and robert e lee?  Lee lost the war.  Why does he even hve a statue.  New york was a union state and we are new yorkers.  I can understand a southerner having feelings towards this.  I think about that when i see trucks with confederate flags.  Don't think I've ever seen a truck with a union flag on it. Has anyone for that matter?Its just doesnt make sense.   

Honestly I can not tell.... Was that a serious question? Because oh ya many,  many trucks and some cars, a camper or two with the confederate flag. Now I have to ask do you really not know what the root sentiment of the the civil war was really about? Has history been so black washed to make everyone think that the southern states went to war for the sole purpose of just keeping slaves? Do you not know who fought in the civil war? Now granted many were there because they were forced to be there.That was jut power mongering and corruption.  See back then they were still living on the premise of the constitution  before all the rewriting. They believed in their hearts that they had to fight for  not just ownership but a way of life as they saw it.They had a completely different mind set then the northerners as the westerns did of the easterners. BTW there were a good many black that fought along side white and not because they were forced to. A good many slaves were freed during the course of the war by their owners. non slave owning southerns fought. bother against brother and fathers against sons. 

You know we lost Vietnam.. Do you think the Vietnamese living here should rise up and say, hey you came to our country destroyed a good part of it and our historical sites and lost. Lets  We don't think you should be flying that American flag Over here around any of our communities within the country...ridiculous hey...well about as ridiculous as completely ignoring the history surrounding the confederate flag or the deep rooted history of the very few true southerners left. They are still Americans and they should have a right to their history. They haven't tried replacing it they are simply saying we did something in this countries history based on what people came here for We lost family and loved ones. ..Stop before you say it...... Slavery was in Europe way before the US .History had slavery in every culture and by the way women were just a ankle chain above any of the Africans brought over here. Way before and too long after...Some weren't treated much better either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Honestly I can not tell.... Was that a serious question? Because oh ya many,  many trucks and some cars, a camper or two with the confederate flag.....

He said Union flag, not Confederate. So did you see the 35 Star Union flag from 1860 on many many trucks and a camper or two. 

Ok back to the regular program. 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:45 PM, EspressoBuzz said:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-orleans-general-lee-20170519-story.html

"Throughout the years, the Lee monument has served as a focal point for Civil War reunions and a host of civic celebrations. In 1891, it was a gathering spot for the mob responsible for the largest mass lynching in American history: the killing of 11 Italian American men for their alleged role in the murder of the city’s police chief, David Hennessy."

Thanks for the read.  I started researching the lynchings and there was a hbo movie based off the events that took place.   Seems like an interesting topic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

Thanks for the read.  I started researching the lynchings and there was a hbo movie based off the events that took place.   Seems like an interesting topic.  

I read a very in depth history of the lynching in La Storia: Five Centuries of the Italian American Experience by Prof. Jerre Mangione.

For anyone who thinks the civil was not about slavery, or not mostly about slavery you are wrong wrong wrong as a Professor at West Point explains here: 

• Like 1

EB..That's a nice video, but let me suggest you read some of the Confederate diaries for further understanding. One good one is the diary of a confederate clerk. ..Now I'm on the kindle so can't copy and paste,  but April 17th is a good example...These types of remembrance are from the mouths of those that went through it day to day. It allows one to view context. Things happening that led to other  things...the feelings of losing face,over powered and sacked. A combination of many complex things that happened even before the vote of succession...Read some of these diaries. Read and try to get a sense of what was actually occurring. Not what single men said in speeches or a few men wrote in papers.

• Like 1

I think removing that statue from it's public location is the right thing to do.  General Lee may have been a good tactician of battle for a short while, but the cause for which he fought was slavery.   It should come as no surprise what side God backed in the Civil war, and the side He supports has never and will never loose a war.  Lee's army's back was broken with Picket's charge on a hillside in Gettysburg PA.   There, he met the same fate as so many other "great" generals for lost causes, such as Paulus a Stalingrad, Rommel at El Alamein, or Napolian at Waterloo.     Keeping that statue out in public glorifies that corrupt cause.   

God has always raised up great leaders in this country's times of need.  Trump seems like one of them.  Lincoln pulled off a master stroke, when he got the South to start that "shooting" war, by announcing the resupply effort to the Union garrison at fort Sumpter.   That way, not only was the South fighting for a corrupt cause, but just like the Japanese at Pearl Harbour, they were the ones who shot first.   Wars are seldom won by the side that shoots first, but they are always won by the side God supports.  There has never and will never be a shortage of those who don't learn any of these important lessons from history, including a few misinformed Presidents, like JFK, who got us into that quagmire in VietNam.  

While America and it's leader may have stumbled a few times in the past, including the treatment of Native Americans and black slaves, it seems to be on the right track now.  The USA has always been great, and it is getting better faster since November than it has in a long time.  Hopefully, even NY and CA will catch up soon.