Small lake boat project

WNYBuckHunter

Ive been looking around for a few months for a small 14 to 16 foot aluminum boat, as I acquired a 10hp Honda 4 stroke motor somewhat recently. I wanted to have something that I could take out on Hemlock and Canadice lakes, which both require 10hp or less, and go fishing with the kids or bring out my father. So last week I stumbled upon someone giving away a trailer that had a 10 foot wooden rowboat on it. I really just wanted the trailer, and planned to either use the tiny boat in our pond, or just throw it on the bonfire sometime. I talked to the guy about it and told him I would bring my flat bed trailer the next day and he would give me the address that morning. That morning came around and I didnt hear back from him, so I was checking out Craigslist again and ran across a guy with a 16 foot aluminum boat on a trailer that he was asking $500 for. The boat had no seats in it, which was perfect to me, because there would be nothing in the way of designing the layout how I want it. I texted him with an offer, which he accepted, so I headed out and met him at his place after work. We loaded the whole deal up on my flatbed and I towed her home.

This weekend I plan to start the project by stripping the 4 layers of various paint jobs off of the hull to get it back down to bare metal. I will then wire wheel around all of the rivets and check them all to make sure none are loose. After that will come the leak test, where I put the boat in the pond for a few hours to see if any seams leak so that I can take care of those issues before I spray her down with some self etching primer and a few good coats of silver and maroon paint. Once the bottom paint work is done, Ill get her back on the trailer and start installing a flat wood floor, raised fishing deck in the front, seats and brackets for gas tanks and batteries. My buddy has an older trolling motor and an extra fish finder that I can have, so those will get wired up, along with lights, and she should be good to go.

Im really looking forward to having a little boat to get the kids out on the water with. Should be lots of fun. Ill post pics and whatnot of the progress so those that are interested can follow along. Heres a couple of pics of what Im starting with.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You'll have the time of your life on those two lakes!  

I think your plan is sound, just don't fritter the summer away making the vessel look perfect. 

Times a fleeting. :)

And therein lies the problem. Im too picky about the work I do. I think the biggest challenge is really going to be figuring out how to put the floor in it. I know Ill have to build some stringers to support it, I just havent figured out exactly how to make them. The paint work will be easy, thats right up my alley.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

And therein lies the problem. Im too picky about the work I do. I think the biggest challenge is really going to be figuring out how to put the floor in it. I know Ill have to build some stringers to support it, I just havent figured out exactly how to make them. The paint work will be easy, thats right up my alley.

Let's talk. I have done it in two boats like that and it sin't difficult. The trick is getting it in and not adding crazy weight. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I thought about a floor for my 16' but keep weight in mind too. I can move mine all around my driveway and side yard with ease, its nice

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Let's talk. I have done it in two boats like that and it sin't difficult. The trick is getting it in and not adding crazy weight. 

Sounds good, maybe you can stop out, and talk about it over a couple of pops one of these days.

• Like 1

Mr B did it with an old DEC boat he bought off a guy then added a blue marine carpet and put in two pedestal swivel fishing seats very comfy...though that was  a bit tricky on the stabilizing the bases. a cooler between the seats in case someone else wants to come fishing with us or he can have two guys go out with him...now son and grand son and keeps the bait and drinks in handy reach for both of us. Canadice...ohhh so nice...

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0621b.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Hemlock south end boat launch last August......

IMG_0616_zps7qjwke6p.jpg

IMG_0614_zpsjig241ok.jpg

A frozen Canadice looking south from the boat launch.......

IMG_5425_zps41bfbb1e.jpg

A NOT frozen Canadice, looking from somewhere on the west side......

SouthWest_zpsc5a4c971.jpg

And looking south east (IIRC)........

NorthWest_zps556ac33f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

A frozen Canadice looking south from the boat launch.......

Truly a beautiful place to be...Have skied the length of it and hunted all around it. It is especially beautiful in full foliage.

OOPS :offtopic:  Good Luck with the boat!

• Like 1