Schodack Island

DirtTime

Took a drive out there this past Saturday to have a look at the campgrounds and get some information on the hunting areas within the park.

I thought about doing a tent camping/bow hunting trip over there and thought about seeing if anyone might be interested last year, but sight unseen I was apprehensive.

All of the sites are small, and it's mainly set up for RV's. Buy, they do have a loop dedicated to tent campers, but the sites are all pretty tiny. After seeing the layout I might go ahead and give it a shot this season.

Anyone interested in doing a weekend camp/hunt there this fall? 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you need a permit, but it's free. Archery and shotgun only. No rifles or handguns.
As for scouting, haven't done any yet. Once the bass season opens will get some done. You have to pay the day pass fees

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

For more info:

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/146/hunting.aspx

You need a day pass to scout. A day pass to the park is $6. So I can't get over there a ton. Sorry. I will try and get in there as much as possible. Perhaps others who seemed interested can help out in the scouting?

As I said, the sites for tents are small. I have a 9x9 tent and I have enough room for one other person in that tent, and willing to share the site cost. If people are actually interested, we might have to meet up over there and have a look around.

This was just a though. There's a lot of details to a tent hunt. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, to update this thread.........

Was talking to my buddy, and decided to hit the NZ weekend opener. Going up to camp and hunt from 9/29 to 10/1, weather permitting. Schodack might be worth a $6 day trip during the gun season, but I just couldn't justify $6 a day to scout.