New plot going in

I have always wanted to put in a food plot in this secluded area of my property. I have a small clover plot there and it sees a lot of action. I hired a local guy who does plots.

It's going to be around 3/4 acre of clover and turnips with oats as cover. This area is bordered by woods on all side and the deer feel really secure here. Here is a picture, most of the brush there will be the food plot. He is spraying this week. 

IMG_0904.JPG

• Like 7

Awesome, keep us posted!

With small seeds like turnips and clover, you don't need to break ground to get them to grow. If you have the means, kill off the vegetation, once it's brown and dead. Spread your seed over it and roll the area a few times with cuktipacker or lawn roller. Just in case you wanted to try it and save money from paying someone. It works well for us. I now plant things specifically to kill them off the following spring or fall that will help me roll seed into the soil as well as germination of seeds and improve organic matter in soils.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, First-light said:

I have always wanted to put in a food plot in this secluded area of my property. I have a small clover plot there and it sees a lot of action. I hired a local guy who does plots.

It's going to be around 3/4 acre of clover and turnips with oats as cover. This area is bordered by woods on all side and the deer feel really secure here. Here is a picture, most of the brush there will be the food plot. He is spraying this week. 

IMG_0904.JPG

Who are you using to put in your plot?

Did you set up a plan for the plot...like plot and the leaving strips of that very nice looking cover of golden rod in between?  Look at spots to plant some Dunstan chestnuts or something else no one around has as mast trees? of course where sun wouldn't shade the plot out later on?  I have picked up trees at the Hornell  Walmart but the Arkport feed store had a  tree deliverey..They do a lot of food plot stuff...just curious

Edited by growalot

3 hours ago, growalot said:

Did you set up a plan for the plot...like plot and the leaving strips of that very nice looking cover of golden rod in between?  Look at spots to plant some Dunstan chestnuts or something else no one around has as mast trees? of course where sun wouldn't shade the plot out later on?  I have picked up trees at the Hornell  Walmart but the Arkport feed store had a  tree deliverey..They do a lot of food plot stuff...just curious

Been to the Arkport store many times and have bought seed. My neighbor has the Chestnut trees by his plots. I might do the same. There will be brush left around here and there. 

• Like 1

That they are. I went to the food plot seminar 2 or 3 years ago just to check it out. Pretty ordered a couple chesnuts as well. I like the store but I have a hard time spending nearly 200$ on seed to have it end up being last year seed

• Like 1

Just about yes. I confronted him about horrible germination I had and spending over 200$ in seed. He then said oh, yea that was last year's seed. Haven't got this year's in yet.. he then says here take take this 10% discount on your next purchase. Told him to keep it. I did hear there was an issue with getting new seed in with several dealers, but still. There's good ways of doing business and not so good ways.. lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Id make 2 plots at 3/4 acre total.  Leave some brush inbetween.  My experiences.  Keep it 1/4 to 1/3 acre with a few yards or tall grass and brush inbetween.

Far as seed age, some matters and some don't.   Raddishes, clover, and members of the brassica and turnip family have long seed germination rates.   I got 5 or 6 year old seeds that germinate just fine.   I beieve beans are in the category.

I prefer whitetail institute clover for late summer plantings due to their seed water retention coatings.  I always buy them on late season clearance and use the next year.   For frost seeding, I buy in the summer and keep it around.   

I bought a 2 year old bag of forage feast blend.  The peas, wheat, oats, and clover came up just fine.

Alot has to do with how it i stored.  A humidity and temperature controlled store is different than a farm shed out back.

Thin seeds like ryegrasses have short germination.  Not sure on soybeans,.

I buy a bag of italian rye every couple of years.  I finished a 3 year old bag last month.  I spread more seed thinking the germination would be low.   I over crowded the spot with too much.  I use italian fortough spots, or areas that did not take in the food plot, spots I plan on making a food plot later, or a spot of tall grass that sticks out to attract a coyote to a trap spot up in the adirondacks.

Edited by sailinghudson25

• 4 weeks later...

Well the oats may not be paletable by the time season rolls around the clovers will probably do Ok..but they tend to slow in growth in the heat of summer. The turnips will get big but depending on variety the greens may start to decline before frost sweetens them. Depending on how they were mixed they may get too big and crowd out the clover. Good thing, the oats should get them  visiting the plot and the bulbs will be a late attractant ,if they are use to turnips in your area. 

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was at my place this week. Oats are coming in real strong. Checked the cams had a doe in the oats and a bear at my top food plot. This area is loaded with berries, I'm sure thats why he was there. Cleaned up the trails and mowed the lawn. 

• Like 1