First time food plots

It's a tough year for food plotting with all this rain. Over half the clover I frost seeded drown at some point this spring and summer. The other half is fighting a intense battle against grasses. Surprisingly not a lot of broadleaf weeds but the grasses are insane. I can't seem to find clethodin anywhere local that's cheap so I've been mowing the plot to try and keep the grasses down. This is the last year I think I'll do clover, going to switch gears for next year and do summer and fall annual plantings instead. Buying more seed is cheaper than ordering enough chemical to control clover plots. Will probably turn the current clover plots into corn/soybean plots next summer.

Adkhunter,
How long have you had clover in there.
After a few years, the nitrogen content of the soil gets high.  Good to rotate then.
If the till was good when planted, then put some wheat and roll it in august.

2 years. I'm probably just going to turn this area into soybeans or corn next year with brassicas thrown in later. This year I'll spread a ton of wheat on it. I'll have a truck bed full of it lol.

Adkhunter,

You can use glyphosate to control your clover plots.

Just add clover seed when you do.

A regular as per the book usage of roundup.  Not a hotter dose.  It doesn't kill clover,  the roots regrow new shoots. The reseeding ensures the empty places don't get filled with weeds again.

Too much nursery crop seed when planting clover can cause this.  I keep it around 50lbs an acre of wheat, rye, or oats. 

• 2 weeks later...

update clover is getting hit pretty good, deer and turkeys, was going to plant the rest of plots today but weeds were starting to pop in the spots i cleared and tilled up so sprayed again will plant next week... wild apples trees are loaded... lots of pics of does and fawns ... few small bucks

• Like 2

just grabbed 500lbs lime and 50lbs 16-16-16 fertilizer, and a bag of bio logic hots spot, at it again tmrw will get the last two plots planted that i had planned to do at the start of the year, plan on mixing a lil big and beasty with the bio logic in one spot. just big n beasty on the other. and then work on a fourth spot that wasnt planned  i just sprayed and weed whacked it last week. 

Jut chipping away at the lime a lil at a time .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, land 1 said:

just grabbed 500lbs lime and 50lbs 16-16-16 fertilizer, and a bag of bio logic hots spot, at it again tmrw will get the last two plots planted that i had planned to do at the start of the year, plan on mixing a lil big and beasty with the bio logic in one spot. just big n beasty on the other. and then work on a fourth spot that wasnt planned  i just sprayed and weed whacked it last week. 

Jut chipping away at the lime a lil at a time .

I do the same thing with the lime 800-1000 pounds at a time. What kind of wheat and rye are the best to use? Was thinking winter wheat and cereal rye.

i have no idea whats best to use this is my first year doing plots. i got two more planted today so a total of 3 are done the clover is getting slammed and browsed hard. still working on a 4th plot not sure if ill get t done really hard to kill off the weeds this time of year