Homer Boylan Buck

Millertime1989

Does anyone know the story behind the state record non-typical?

It was taken by Homer Boylan in the year 1939 in Allegany county. The story behind the Roosevelt Luckey buck is readily available even featured in a couple of books, but I've never been able to track down much on the Boylan buck.

Edited by Millertime1989

More than likely he didn't tell or leave a story to pass on. A lot of those old timers didn't . Their concern was feeding their families and didn't care a lot about horns.

No social media or internet forums either.

Homer Boylan holds the record for New York’s largest non-typical buck. Like Luckey, Boylan also shot his buck in 1939 in Allegany County. The Boylan buck had 16 points and a Boone and Crockett score of 244 2/8. St. Lawrence County boasts of the state’s second-largest non-typical buck, a 15-point taken by Ken Locey in 1992. The Locey buck carried a 225 2/8 Boone and Crockett score.

xboylen-buck_jpg_pagespeed_ic_sBxwcBZFG2.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

Boylan shot the buck near Canaseraga, which is in the Northeast corner of Allegany County. The Luckey buck, was also shot in the northern part of Allegany County, near Fillmore more in the western corner of Allegany County. So the two bucks were not living too far from each other, maybe 16 to 20 miles. But, they were living in two different prongs of the Genesee watershed. The Luckey buck was in the western Genesee valley, while the Boylan buck was shot in the eastern headwaters where it runs down to Dansville, and then into the Genny. Both are very fertile areas, benefiting from the over harvesting of timber in the uplands to the south and the resultant erosion of humus and topsoil.  

Black and white photo I snapped of the Luckey and Boylan bucks side-by-side 30 years ago at a whitetail seminar. These were the original mounts. One item of note is that the Boylan buck had very dark brown antlers while the Luckey buck was typical white.

Roosevelt Luckey and Homer Boylan buck .jpg

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've seen both mounts in person a few times over the years. And I'm familiar with both Hume and Burns. We used to grouse hunt not too far from there in Birdsall. The Luckey buck was shot in Claybed road in Hume, on a large deer drive. I've never heard how the hunt for the Boylan buck went down though,

• 3 years later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:51 PM, Millertime1989 said:

Does anyone know the story behind the state record non-typical?

It was taken by Homer Boylan in the year 1939 in Allegany county. The story behind the Roosevelt Luckey buck is readily available even featured in a couple of books, but I've never been able to track down much on the Boylan buck.

The buck was taken on Coon Hollow Rd.on the Dunning oil lease in Town of Genesee,Allegany County.One reason the buck was so big was because the season had been closed for a number of years,deer were able to gain age.I believe the Roosevelt buck was taken in the same area,both in 1939.There was another state record taken in 1948 in that area.