When do you start.....

Grizz1219

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There are quite a few cameras available that, in my experience, dont alert deer at all. My Covert and Browning black flash cams are awesome. I have plenty of videos and pics that show mature bucks and does hanging out right in front of them without any spooking or negative reactions to the cameras being there. You just have to be careful about how and when you check them. You just have to do your research on which cams to use and how to use them.

i've found biggest thing is scent.  you wear gloves or wipe down cams before you walk away?

• Like 1

WNYBuckHunter:

Does it make any noise?  That is one of my big issues with cams besides the deer picking up on them at night time when set to low.  The IR seems better but that still seems a bit sketchy on some cams.  They have improved and this might be the year I start testing but some of the post with the issue they have give me reservation.

I think I need a new post about what cams we prefer and why, also what cams work best at night with NO noise!  Battery life, longevity of product and how large of an memory card is needed to capture video for a month or 2 etc.

Edited by NFA-ADK
Forgot to quote.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:08 PM, dbHunterNY said:

i've found biggest thing is scent.  you wear gloves or wipe down cams before you walk away?

I wear boots and spray the cams with scent killer when I leave. Most of the time I put them in locations that I can access while still sitting in my wheeler, that way my feet never touch the ground, and if possible, I place them high enough that the deer dont notice them.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 0:19 PM, NFA-ADK said:

WNYBuckHunter:

Does it make any noise?  That is one of my big issues with cams besides the deer picking up on them at night time when set to low.  The IR seems better but that still seems a bit sketchy on some cams.  They have improved and this might be the year I start testing but some of the post with the issue they have give me reservation.

I think I need a new post about what cams we prefer and why, also what cams work best at night with NO noise!  Battery life, longevity of product and how large of an memory card is needed to capture video for a month or 2 etc.

Mine make no noise, Ive played around with them to try and hear anything, but never have. Some of the cheap cams Ive tried out, theres a noticeable clunk when the filter drops down. I do not use regular IR cams anymore, only black flash.

WNYBuckHunter what models do you prefer?  Battery life?  How long can you keep them out with it on video vs still pics.  Are they limited on how large an SD card can be used?  Do you use standard batteries or energizer, rechargeable, or other?