Last second bird

TreeGuy

Well, was counting down my second bird-less and quiet season. Hunted in Alden this am to try and catch the Tom I've been after for weeks. NADA. Had setup near the roosting area and nothing was home. Decided to head to the camp in franklinville. Passed the neighbor coming out the woods and he told me he had a bird gobbling all morning that wouldn't commit. He doesn't allow anyone to hunt his placed but the back side is bordered by state land ( and a mile hike) so I figured I go try and get on him since he was gobbling. Tim Horton was doing work to me so I had to stop at the camp to get that out of my system. Just grabbed the Porto crapper and before I sat down I figured I'd hit the call. NADA. Cranked up the volume and got a gobble. Decided to squeeze cheeks and head for the bird. I went through some crazy uncharted territory of slick and steep ravines. Tom kept gobbling to let me know where he was. I got to where I figured we were within 100yrds and setup hen-rietta. Started soft calling and got him to talk at everything I said. He was further up the steep hill but I was hopeful I could pull him down. Gobble after gobble I realised he was getting further. Grabbed the deke and tried to split the difference. I found an old logging road that lead to a small open area in the hardwoods and was also less steep on an incline. No sooner than me sticking the deke in he gobbled and I knew he was 80-100. Grabbed the first tree I could find and sat down. Hit some more soft talk and he lit up again. So I waited, another gobble and again he was further. I knew if he had a hen we would play this game all day so I grabbed my raspy diaphragm and hit em hard with some aggressive cuts and yelps. When he gobbled I could tell he was now facing me... And gobble and gobble and gobble and double gobble and double gobble he was coming. I shut up and got the gun ready. After about 20 gobbles I saw a big black object coming my way through the undergrowth. It was way too thick to chance a marginal shot yet I didn't forget that may 31 2016 I had one at forty and waited for a closer shot, but he saw the dekes and ran...so I knew I had to take the first opportunity he gave me. As he strutted drummed and gobbled his way closer I saw one small hole through the crotch of a tree and knew it would be my only window. He stepped in to my small window, went full strut and ate some Winchester mid gobble. Paved it off at 56yrds. He never even twitched. So glad I setup the versamax for that specific situation. So thankful for an awesome hunt and perfect ending to a couple of hard seasons. This was prob my 20th hunt of this year. Dropped him off at the taxidermist on the way home too ! I earned it. He's not my biggest but he was the hardest to get,took 2 seasons and in the last inning ! The hike out was rough, but worth every step !! Franklinville ridge chicken down !!!!!

24#

10 1/2" beard

7/8" spurs

dfceba1e8081f196e355317b70e1ebc0.jpgd7a84d2aabfce967799023f97aeaf4e1.jpg8e17ef6f4f2d177cefd48729d5ed78ef.jpgef282e3e38407130a3771a45ca9446f5.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 17

Way to go TreeGuy   Buzzer beating bird after I believe you recently said you weren't hearing any gobbles. Way to stick with it down to the wire.
Winchester XR loads ?

Thanks and yes. XR's are my new favorite load. Jelly head choke tube. Forget the magnum blend for 5$ a shell. Pattern is rediculous tight but I have a red dot (and a bit of a good eye).

Congrats, my friend ....Great bird and way to hang in there...

BTW,  I have killed over a hundred and my heaviest NY bird weighed 22.5 lb. and I can count my 10" beards on one hand...Super bird for NY....

• Like 2

Congrats, my friend ....Great bird and way to hang in there...
BTW,  I have killed over a hundred and my heaviest NY bird weighed 22.5 lb. and I can count my 10" beards on one hand...Super bird for NY....

Thanks !! Oddly enough my best bird was 25.5#, 11 3/4" beard and 1 5/8 spurs....with the bow !! I have been able to connect on some Dandy's over the years, but they seemed to come "easier". It's been a long drawn out 2 seasons. I could care less about the numbers, just that he's in " long beard" category and I punched a tag !!

There's the difference...I have never been a trophy hunter....Any 2 year old or older gobbler was fine with me...

I have never selectively hunted the biggest birds, which is probably why most of my gobblers have been 18-19 lb. birds with 8" t 9" beards and 3/4" spurs, with a few 3 to 4 year old birds thrown in, just because they happened to be UNLUCKY that day...

• Like 1

That's a fantastic end to the season.

Congrats on a well deserved and earned bird. 

I'm also a fan of the XR's. Love the tight pattern at longer ranges. Although both my birds this yr were less than 10 yrds. 

There's the difference...I have never been a trophy hunter....Any 2 year old or older gobbler was fine with me...
I have never selectively hunted the biggest birds, which is probably why most of my gobblers have been 18-19 lb. birds with 8" t 9" beards and 3/4" spurs, with a few 3 to 4 year old birds thrown in, just because they happened to be UNLUCKY that day...

I wouldn't shoot a Jake, but as far as "trophy" hunting.... If the beard sticks out, no shoot, if it hangs down - shoot !!

• Like 1

Congrats!u sure didnt give up ready all ur other posts.way to stick to it till u made it happen!!!

I have a habit of not giving up. Unfortunately, that theory tends to be tested every season, yet most seasons I am rewarded for my persistence. Not sure if I'd rather have it any other way !?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I have a habit of not giving up. Unfortunately, that theory tends to be tested every season, yet most seasons I am rewarded for my persistence. Not sure if I'd rather have it any other way !?

Cant say i blame ya.thats what makes it worth it every year!