What harness is everyone using?

Jeremy K

I never used one, and I am very thankful to have survived 36 years of deer hunting with just one fall.    That was way back when I was in high school, using a climber that I made in metal shop.  I was able to cushion my landing by hugging the tree on the way down from about 15 feet.  I suffered no major injuries, just some brush burns and torn up the sleeves on my jacket.    Over the last two years, the ash trees that supported my last couple wooden stands have succumbed to the emerald ash bore, so I cut them down.  I always made sure they were safe each year, before hunting season.  I was very relieved when the last one was down on the ground.  That one was put up by my older cousin more than 40 years ago.  I killed my first buck out of it, but I sure did not trust that dying tree to hold it up any longer.    I tried to be careful cutting that tree up for firewood, but managed to hit a few nails that were hidden over all those years, plus a little barbed wire that was grown over deep in the stump.       

Now it is all metal ladder stands with good rails, and new straps every year, or elevated and ground platform blinds with 3 foot rails all around.  Not only do those rails keep me safe, but they provide great gun and crossbow rests.   Shooting from a rest with a telescopic sight makes it easy to pick out the individual hair where I want my bullet or bolt to strike on the deer.  Now that crossbows are legal (for the rut anyhow), I don't suppose I will ever again hunt with a vertical bow.   As long as I don't do that, I can't see a need for a safety harness.               

I wonder if those that choose not to wear a safety harness are the same people that don't see a reason to wear a seat belt because they have never been thrown out of a car . I don't go in a treestand without a harness . I didn't get to be 75 by being stupid .

• Like 3

Muddy . My hang ons all have a life line to the ground with Prusik, ladders I climb up and tie in to a strap that's around the tree. Chinese made ladders, ice, small platforms and old bones, climbing up early in the morning when tired  why wouldn't I tie in ?

• Like 3

Full inclusion of the crossbow would go a long way towards the elimination of tree-stand accidents.  Eliminating the need to draw with a deer in close, eliminates the need to get real high in a tree.  Also, a rail makes a great shooting support for a crossbow, and that rail also keeps you safer up in a stand than a safety harness.     

I wonder if those that choose not to wear a safety harness are the same people that don't see a reason to wear a seat belt because they have never been thrown out of a car . I don't go in a treestand without a harness . I didn't get to be 75 by being stupid .

Up until 2 years ago I never wore a harness bc I didn't like them. My uncle has fallen 3 times and won't even get in a stand now had to crawl to his truck with a broken leg 7 or 8 years ago. After reviews on here I bought the muddy and never leave without it comfort makes a huge difference

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wolc , just because you have someone watching over you doesn't mean you should not wear a harness. Your family relies on you to bring bountiful great eats from the woods. Please consider wearing one. 

I have been shooting more deer off the ground the last few years than from up in trees.  You hit right on the primary reason for that.  I expect that percentage to increase even more in coming years because I am getting into still-hunting up in the Adirondacks.    The tree stands that I do have are mostly less than 10 feet up, and all have rails all around.  Only one of (4) deer that I killed last season was from an elevated blind.   For those folks who do feel the need to get high up there in trees, the safety harnesses are a good idea, especially if their stand lacks a rail all around.  

I have no doubt that it is only because I do have Someone looking over me that I survived all those years up in high treestands without a harness or safety rail.   I also understand that a safety harness won't keep me around when He decides to call me home.   I do hope that when my time here is up, that I don't go from a fall out of a treestand.  That seems like it would involve some pain and suffering.  Cutting down those last couple dying ash trees this past winter will help make sure that does not happen to others or myself.  

The ladder to that elevated blind that both myself and a big guy from work killed deer out of last fall does need some attention.   It was scary watching him get down from there after shooting the tasty button buck for us.   I will do my best to find the time to make that ladder safer this year.  Thanks for the reminder.           

Edited by wolc123

13 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My brother in law was killed in a semi accident. He had his seat belt on they had to cut him out of it. It was determined the seat functioned properly yet it suffocated him to death because it locked so tight against his chest that he couldn't breath and would not release. When I was on the rescue squad we responded to an accident of a car over the bank. When we arrived we found the driver still in his seat with seat belt on. He was dead because the belt had cut him almost in half . I have also seen people killed because they thought they were safe using a harness. Bounce in on the ground and ending up with a couple broken bones is far better then being stuck hanging in a tree till you are dead. I'm not saying not to use them. If a person feels safe with them then fine use them. However know that it a false sense of security. There is just as much chance of injury or death with them as there is without.

Heck my sister received a huge chunk of money from volvo. The company tha t made the truck my big was in. A loot of vehicles manufacturerso have a fund set aside just to give money to family who have lost loved ones in an accident or people who were injured where the seat belt was the cause of injury or death. Do not even need a lawyer to get this money. They contact you and tell you about it themselves. There is no need to prove that they were to blame in anyway. They know seat bets can be very dangerous and do this on there own accord. If seat belts were really as safe as people think there wouldn't be a need for these funds set aside.

So yes I do not wear seat belts nor do I use harnesses.  Just my experiences and opinions. 

In the EMS world any fall from a height equal to the height of your body , is considered a greater risk. A six foot person on a ten foot stand means there head is 16 or so off the ground .

A few years back guy about three houses from me is on a ladder painting , he's maybe four foot off the ground, neighbor walks by says hello to him , he turns to look and falls. Today he has half a right foot from that fall .

Now should one wear a harness when painting their house ? Well I don't know of a system for that, I do for tree stands though. Although I now pay people to clean my gutters and such, just not worth it to me anymore . If I fall off a ladder or roof at work, at least it was for a greater cause and I'll be covered money wise if I fall in the woods I'll be out of a job .....

My stands are all around 15 feet, 30 years of killing them with a bow I don't recall any deer busting me while I drew.  Sure I've been busted many times, just sitting there or while at full draw . I draw on almost all deer that pass by for practice btw.  That way instead of drawing on the one or two you'll kill each year one can draw on dozens of them .

Edited by Larry302

Mechanics at work bought 2 safety harness for lifts. They had a tangled mess. Me being nosy asked what was going on. Took me less than 10 min getting it on a guy, they marked it and took pictures for next time. Lol

They couldn't believe it, I said safety harness is the way to go. I know have a certificate for safety so I can use the lifts at work. 

HSS vest for me. Might switch over to a muddy as my vest is getting older and it's important to know that vests need to be upgraded every so often! I also use HSS lifelines on ALL my stands...ladder or hang ons. Cheap life insurance in my opinion. Now that I have a young family, I see absolutely no reason not to be as safe as possible while climbing up aND down the tree.  

Edited by jman22
Editorial
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ok. Stupid question time . My HSS vest has support strap lightly stitched together that apparently breaks away the stitching to slow your fall ?! If I were to fall is that strap replaceable ?  Really don't plan on falling but curious

No, Buy a new one. I would destroy it in a way no one could ever use it for what is intended for.

It is also suggested that the life line and vest be replaced every few years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paula said:

No, Buy a new one. I would destroy it in a way no one could ever use it for what is intended for.

It is also suggested that the life line and vest be replaced every few years

Jinkys. So for about $120 I only get to fall once ?  I could sky dive for twice that money ^_^

• Like 2

Ok. Stupid question time . My HSS vest has support strap lightly stitched together that apparently breaks away the stitching to slow your fall ?! If I were to fall is that strap replaceable ?  Really don't plan on falling but curious

No, one time use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, wolc123 said:

......As long as I don't do that, I can't see a need for a safety harness.               

pray and follow the bible by all means if you want to meet God, but know that not wearing a safety harness could get you there a whole lot faster.  No need to rush it.

• Like 1

I've got an older HS Pro vest that i inspect but has passed the expiration date.  I use it to now with a lineman's belt to hang stands.  i wear a Muddy Safeguard for hunting.  I can get to chest pockets and others easier and it's much lighter.  all are attached with tree straps or life lines.   ...all situations I mean.  I've only got one harness in hunting rotation.

Edited by dbHunterNY

I'm going with rock climbing harness this year for many of the same reasons TC stated.  The biggest one being I feel a lot more confident about being able to self rescue with the rope in front of me.  Lots of great information on the Archery Talk Forums and youtube.  Here's a good one to check:

I think rock climbing harness or vest is all personal preference but your crazy if you don't have one or the other.  Recent stats show 1 in 3 hunters will fall at some point in their hunting career.  A minor inconvenience beats dead any day of the week.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...