What harness is everyone using?

Jeremy K

What are you guys and gals using for a safety harness ? I'm currently using a gorilla but it's so big and bulky,not to mention heavy. My dad and I are looking to switch to something more light weight . I've seen guys are using the rock climber harness but I don't like the idea of the lead being in the front.

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Hunter safety system vest for me 

Same here. And it's very comfortable. I don't hunt off the ground much anymore. But when I do, that's what I use. Worth every penny too! Also use the prusik knot, safety line as well, for added safety going up and down. Another must have, in my opinion. No such thing as "too safe"! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Same here. And it's very comfortable. I don't hunt off the ground much anymore. But when I do, that's what I use. Worth every penny too! Also use the prusik knot, safety line as well, for added safety going up and down. Another must have, in my opinion. No such thing as "too safe"! 

That was one that keeps popping up during my search , I'm also switching to a prusik knot system this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

What are you guys and gals using for a safety harness ? I'm currently using a gorilla but it's so big and bulky,not to mention heavy. My dad and I are looking to switch to something more light weight . I've seen guys are using the rock climber harness but I don't like the idea of the lead being in the front.

I use a vest now, but I did use a climbing harness for years. The vest is easier to get in and out of. I think the lead in the front is better for a couple of reasons, I think you could hang longer with it in the front, you could get back on the steps easier, wrap your legs around the tree to cut yourself loose to slide down the tree. Here's the bonus to it being in the front, when that special moment comes, you stand up make a double loop knot high on the safety line, sit back down with the safety line tight against your chest to hold your back against the tree, then have a nice little nap without falling out of the tree. I still have it if you would like to give it a try.

22 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Rock climbing harness. Look into it, it is so much more comfortable. Also safer from everything Ive read on suspension trauma), cheaper, lighter, easier to get into and I have my full range of motion and use of all of my pockets

I was really wanting to go that route but I'm nervous about the front lead . 

17 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The benefit of that is youll spin and be facing the tree in the event of a fall. I clip it to my side with a cheap bottle holder that will break

So you just have the lead hooked up down low instead of over head like a traditional harness? What are you using to connect the harness to the prusik knot?

Edited by Jeremy K

I have been using the Hunter Safety System harness for several years . I also carry one of a harness that comes with the tree stands in my back pack in case I go brain dead and forget the HSS harness . I don't go in a tree stand without a harness . 

• Like 1

I have tried 5 or 6 and hated everyone. I still wear just a safety belt. Fits in a pocket, weighs nothing and doesn't restrict movement.

I had a fall a couple years ago while hanging a stand and it really sucked when the belt got tight but it beat the hell out of falling to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Region 2 does not allow hunting, and tree stand stand kills still don't count (bow or gun). Probably worse than illegally baiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't strike me as the kind of guy who was afraid of heights.