things you find along the road...

growalot

Mr B came home Friday with 4 carved and turned well made oak chairs. Not the best finish and the glue job on the joints was a tad rough, but nice solid dinning chairs with a free sign stuck to them... perfect replacements for the old cafeteria chairs that were at camp...Now I have those plastic ones to place in a couple of my brush pile blinds brown seats and chrome legs that I'm going to z-bzrt spray..we have an old can of it. nice for the legs are a continuous loop so no uneven sinking of legs in the dirt.

Over the years we've had some really good side of road finds ...have any of you?

Hhhmmm talking to myself today I see...No one ever makes good finds along the road on your drives ..well except Tf and his bloated deer.. brother in- law found solid oak with beveled glass  doors 7ft book cases in Rochester..bikes..exercise benches,push spreaders..

I moved a small Painted Turtle off the 5 & 20 highway today. The little dude was movin' right along but he honestly didn't stand a chance. I got out and stopped traffic so I could scoop him up and get him to the other side. I was certainly in more danger than he was at that point. I have no idea why I do stupid stuff like that. I certainly don't want my obituary to read, "Geneva man killed by NYC trash truck while saving turtle." That would be wrong.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, growalot said:

Hhhmmm talking to myself today I see...No one ever makes good finds along the road on your drives ..well except Tf and his bloated deer.. brother in- law found solid oak with beveled glass  doors 7ft book cases in Rochester..bikes..exercise benches,push spreaders..

Why do you get so worked up when people don't respond to your threads as fast as you think they should? Not trying to tick you off, just curious. Many threads posted on this forum that you can't bothered to reply too. So if people do not reply to you ASAP, maybe they have more important issues going on.

Like me, take a look at the news about what's going on my area. 

As for picking up throw away trash or garbage on the side of the road, out my way people don't toss anything of use. Most find a way to use it or post their garbage on CraigsList. Sometimes they host flea markets or yard/garage sales to get rid of crap.

• Like 1

Boy do I have a place, more of a certain house that puts stuff to the curb. I'm sitting in a beautiful leather recliner complements of them. I have a nice round end table from them and a kids gold bag full of clubs and club cover. Its like xmas every time they put stuff out.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Why do you get so worked up when people don't respond to your threads as fast as you think they should? Not trying to tick you off, just curious. Many threads posted on this forum that you can't bothered to reply too. So if people do not reply to you ASAP, maybe they have more important issues going on.

Like me, take a look at the news about what's going on my area. 

As for picking up throw away trash or garbage on the side of the road, out my way people don't toss anything of use. Most find a way to use it or post their garbage on CraigsList. Sometimes they host flea markets or yard/garage sales to get rid of crap.

So, who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philoshop said:

So, who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

He gets this way at least once a month..... sometimes even TWICE a month!

He's gotten much better since he's gone to the short reply format.

Dick!

• Like 2

For one thing only you got worked up Rob...I just made a statement to get people to try and connect back to the real subject,not a bloated deer,which may have derailed the post UNINTENTIONALLY.  Why did you feel you had to get worked up and just rant about me?  Thats rhetorical I could actually care less.

12 hours ago, growalot said:

The majority of my drive is on the 190 , it would have to be a treasure chest heaped with gold for me to pull over and get out of the car around those knuckleheads .

• Like 1

I've picked up all kinds of tools. Most recently I grabbed a brand new 2" ratchet strap. My wife always teases me every time we see a bunjee cord laying on the side of the road. I used to pick them up "you can never have enough bunjee cords" Now i tell her that ratchet straps are much better! Picked up building materials, made my corn hole boards completely out of curbside plywood. I've grabbed lawn furniture for my buddy's camp. Basically if it looks worth the stop I'll grab it. Last week I was pulling over to grab some tools spilled on the street, only to get beat to it by someone who just stopped right in the middle of the road and got out and scarfed them up. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid,9 I think I found a $50.00 bill...My mom made me turn it in to the police lost and found...yep they gladly excepted that ! No they never got back to us...She was way too honest a person...God rest her soul...lol Big into teaching right and wrong and being a good person...Such different times. I can't imagine bothering to go to the police "lost and found" if I lost anything...Do they even have such a thing these days?

Forgot about the Weber Grill......I was doing a job off Klein Rd (Chestnut Hill Ct IIRC) and it was by the curb. Garbage day was still a few days off so I knocked on the door and said WTH?  House was sold and they didn't have room to take it!

I had my work van so I just bear hugged the SOB and heaved it in. $150 worth of new burners, grates and so TLC and it was like new. 

Since my Grill at home was still in good shape, I took it to my Uncle's cabin and it worked flawlessly.  He sold the cabin a number of years later and it was left for the new owners.  Long story but great score. :)

• Like 2

my best find ever was back in the mid 70s...I was riding my bike along the road when I found a watch lying in the middle of it.

I picked it up and it was still running, but the crystal was broken. It turned out to be  Seiko automatic watch, at that time (as I remember) going for about 200 bucks in the sears catalog. We had it cleaned and a new lens put in it, and I wore it for years. I still have it, and pulled it out a few years ago and decided to have a local watch repairman clean it up. He ruined it, and scratched the bezel to hell. Boy, was I mad....hated to pay to get it back, but I hated to part with it. I have owned a Seiko ever since.

The 2nd best find was on my paper route....I saw a rifle muzzle sticking out of a garbage can. When I pulled it out, it was most of a Winchester 94, (missing the butt stock and a couple internals). Dad and I completed it, and I had it for years.

• Like 2

I've picked up all kinds of tools. Most recently I grabbed a brand new 2" ratchet strap. My wife always teases me every time we see a bunjee cord laying on the side of the road. I used to pick them up "you can never have enough bunjee cords" Now i tell her that ratchet straps are much better! Picked up building materials, made my corn hole boards completely out of curbside plywood. I've grabbed lawn furniture for my buddy's camp. Basically if it looks worth the stop I'll grab it. Last week I was pulling over to grab some tools spilled on the street, only to get beat to it by someone who just stopped right in the middle of the road and got out and scarfed them up. 

My friend and I used to joke about starting a galvanized S-hook recycling business. I did find a 8' length of blue pex last year, which currently supplies my new half bath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

This thread is great I love seeing people that can see the value in what others don't have a need for any more...I actually know someone that started their own side income  reselling the things they find on "trash"day in high income neighbor hoods.  I know that in real-estate There are business that make a good profit cleaning " repos " just for the remains of walk away's. It's amazing then you have construction...Wow that can be amazing depending on types and remodels...Son got beautiful cabinets because people had the money to buy new for just the style..that and near new appliances ,for 1/10 of cost new...but even those things can be had for free a lot of the time...