things you find along the road...

growalot

The first year that I had my woodworking shop (1992) probably 95% of the lumber I used was salvaged from old furniture on the side of the road for trash pickup. I even had a few customers who would bring me stuff they didn't want any longer and ask me to build something they did want.

Example: A nice maple bunk-bed that was no longer needed was turned into a pair of end tables. The kids had grown up and moved on, but the sentimental value kept the couple from selling or trashing the bunk-bed. The sentimental value was transferred to something that was useful in their lives.

• Like 3

I have seen lots of stuff o the side of the Thruway and 87 here, the problem is it is always in the fast lane and I ain't risking my life no matter how tempting.

Ladders, tools, a roll of rubber roofing, I have seen a wide variety over the years. I was following a guy recently with a nice chainsaw in the bed of his truck with the tailgate down. He caught on and pulled over before getting up to speed, lol.

My dad drove 87 for years too, he picked up roll's of roofing(enough to do the house a few times), Pepsi, pillows, a wide variety.

Had a buddy get a brand new couch with the plastic still on once.

Someone found my CZ premium 30-06 in its case on the side of the road.  Don't ask ....  (Don't put your gun case on top of the truck while loading gear to go to the range.  No idea how I didn't hear it slide off either.)  They did return it.  Good honest young man!

• Like 4

Not really found, but I've gotten many things given to me from my clients.

Mowers, chainsaws, outdoor furniture. 

Pulled brand new tires and rims from one clients dumpster. They bought a new Ford 350 King ranch, and swapped out the originals. Sold those for few hundred bucks. 

The chainsaw thing is a little sensitive for me. You'd be amazed at how many fall off of work trucks. Sometimes it's poor loading of the truck, sometimes it's actually intentionally poor loading by an employee looking to have a buddy pick the saw up down the road. It happens way more often than you might think.

The chainsaw website I belong to has a whole section devoted to 'lost and found' and many owners have been reunited with their gear. It's one thing when you're talking about a careless homeowner who loses a $120 Poulan 'Wildthing', but it's completely different when it comes to a $1000+ pro-grade saw that someone depends on for a living. If I ever found one I'd do my best to get it back to the owner. Most folks engrave their gear in some way, and a simple Craigslist post might just get it back to them, once the right questions are asked. Sermon over.

This count... Trying to lay eggs next to the driveway of my work... Tractor trailer trucks would have squashed her.. She was NOT pleased with me... Actually put her head under the shell and tried biting my feet as well as snapping side to side... 

turtle2.jpg

Coolers, sockets, wrenches, bungee cords, saw horses have found them all .  I don't understand why people throw out good ice coolers.  I have about a dozen that I have picked up & they are all good ones.  I found the saw horses in the middle of the rd. I knew where the guy lived , took them to him & he accused me of steeling them I told him the story, gave them back & he never said thank you, had I known(he was a nip) I would have kept them!

This count... Trying to lay eggs next to the driveway of my work... Tractor trailer trucks would have squashed her.. She was NOT pleased with me... Actually put her head under the shell and tried biting my feet as well as snapping side to side... 
turtle2.jpg

That's a big one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I never find crap curbside 5f4aaac5b95f429866316e63abdaad76.jpg
But just saw this dropping daughter at ballet.
Odd wrenches in intersections left on engines mechanics left. Cars turn and they slide off and fall to ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 points if you go back and snap a shot of you on there wearing the bunny suit. 

• Like 3

The tastiest were the half dozen or so button bucks that hit-and-run drivers abandoned (fortunately I have avoided ever hitting any deer while I was driving).   Some other useful items included a full-sized fiberglass truck cap that fit my old Chevy Silverado perfectly.  It had a "free" sign on it.  The only thing wrong with it was the faded pine-green paint.   An $ 8.00 quart of hammered-black paint made it look as sharp as a new one on my truck.  

Other good finds included a 3500 psi, Honda-engine power washer and a portable Husky air compressor that my neighbor across the street wheeled out on garbage day a few years ago.  The power washer had a plugged hose, and was missing the air filter & cover and the nozzle.  I unplugged the hose, put a $15 air filter & cover on it, and my brother gave me a spare nozzle he had.  It has worked great for the last 3 years.  It makes real quick easy work of euro mounts and skull cleanups.   My wife likes it when I use it to clean our house's deck and siding.  She is most happy that I don't smell up her kitchen anymore boiling those skulls.   The compressor needed only a new plug.   It is handy having that smaller one in the garage over the winter, so I don't need to go out thru the snow to use the big one in my shop.