Fall plots seed

looks like everything changed and most my plots will be fall ones...so clovers with a nurse crop of Winter grains. Of course turnips..it is what keeps them going over the winter and early spring. I have the shot plot I bought cheap,  so will do the new lane way plot in that until I decide on what fall one I want. The front upper plot will be disced and planted today, I hope in the pasture test mix. 2 months behind..but headed to the garden right now.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I always have at least 1 or 2 plots of Brassica Blends for the fall/Winter. As of right now all of my food plot acreage is planted to soybeans, minus a couple logging roads that were seeded clover this spring. I will be over seeding Brassicas into the Soybeans come August. And Some Heavy Cereal Grains In September. Trying to find a decent place to buy cereal grains from, but i bought my brassicas from DeerAg last year and will do so again this year. I try to keep something growing in my plots at all times of the year, it helps with my No Till plantings. 

No extra time for plots this summer so this is how it has to be lol. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

I am also way behind on "spring" planting.  I'm not worried about my soybeans.  I planted mine in July last year, during the drought, and they grew well and had pods and beans.  

I will plant brassicas (rapeseed, purple top turnip, groundhog radish & forage kale) for fall.  I'm using them to condition the soil as much as anything.  The deer pick at them a bit, but don't love them.  I got my seed from Deer Creek seed.  I had better plants and deer interest with WI Wintergreens, but that was also in a different part of the state.  

In places where there isn't as much food/ variety, brassicas seem to work great.  Where I live there is alot of ag, which means alot of alfalfa, clover, soybeans and corn.  Brassicas just don't seem to compete.  

• Like 1

Mid august, unless I get a weird vibe about rainfall, then around labor day.

Plotspike forage feast from tractor supply works great.

Or a bag of wheat and 6lb of clover per half acre.  Spread 3/4s of the bag of wheat.  Save 2lbs of clover to frost seed in febuary.

I always buy a bit extra,  I'm always seeding a spit here or there, or redoing a weedy spot.

Fall seeding wheat, spring seeding oats, if a drought killed the wheat sprouts then Winter rye and clover late September. 

Ideally cereal grains get an inch in, then clovers only a 1/4 inch deep.

Scratch the soil, add your cereal grain and fertilizer, then drag it with a chainlink fence, a log, or a tire, then spread the clover, then roll it in with the tires.  Never failed me yet. I put my harrows on the shallowest setting instead of the drag.

Earthway 2750 seeder, an old spring harrow section behind an atv, and a quality weedwacker like a stihl fr70.  It'll knock it down a half acre in a little over an hour.

Edited by sailinghudson25

I am also way behind on "spring" planting.  I'm not worried about my soybeans.  I planted mine in July last year, during the drought, and they grew well and had pods and beans.  
I will plant brassicas (rapeseed, purple top turnip, groundhog radish & forage kale) for fall.  I'm using them to condition the soil as much as anything.  The deer pick at them a bit, but don't love them.  I got my seed from Deer Creek seed.  I had better plants and deer interest with WI Wintergreens, but that was also in a different part of the state.  
In places where there isn't as much food/ variety, brassicas seem to work great.  Where I live there is alot of ag, which means alot of alfalfa, clover, soybeans and corn.  Brassicas just don't seem to compete.  

Same here, on my property in 8F with a lot of ag land. Brassicas are barely even nibbled on. Even after everything is harvested and tilled under..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

when do u guys plant your brassica mixes new at this food plot stuff and the more i read the more answers i get... I've heard any where from mid july to september.... thats for CNY area

In Steuben County I like to plant Brassicas around the last week of July and First week of August.. but depending on which plants you seed, some take an extra 30 days to mature. Depending on when rain is in the forecast I try to time it around that, unless it's been a good "moist" summer lol I won't worry then.

Ours are...They hit them hard because of the corn and hay fields Corn leaves nothing for hundreds of acres and the hay is cut late and hunted from both sides...This keeps them in the woods. Last year they had that bean field but that got cut down and planted in WW. Which was still pretty short by hunting season. My brassicas get hit hard...That's why I double seed them in..Early and then over seed later...

• Like 2

I got 4 plot areas.

The main food plot is just over an acre central to the property and will plant clover/alfalfa on 1/3 and turnips/winter peas on the the rest. On the power line plot, about a 1/2 acre, all clover/alfalfa. The power line plots located with an old app orchard on one side and the hardwoods/pines separating this plot from the main plot.

On the pond plot, about 1/3 acre, which is at the north end of the 2 acre pond plant more clover/alfalfa.  Then up on the top of the hill in the open hardwoods, I have a long trail with good sunlight and will plant clover/alfalfa as well. The reason to have the turnips/peas on the large plot is because it is closest to the house and when the snow gets deep its closer to walk to for an old guy.

• Like 2

We are trying corn in a couple of plots again this year, its going in this week or early next week. A bit late, but thats ok, we arent harvesting it. Some of our other plots will be turnips/rape/hog radish and others a winter wheat/clover mix. Weve been talking about beans and peas, but our plots are smallish so that stuff gets wiped out without a fence, and I have better things to spend money on than a fence for a food plot lol.

I usually get my brassica and winter wheat seed from the local Agway, as I have had great luck with them for the last 4 or 5 years. Ill most likely order my clover from DeerAg. He has a really nice blend that Ive seen in my buddys plots.

• Like 1

His blend is indeed nice. The loggers ripped my clover plot up this April May.

Forgot to mention I will be trying rutabaga as well in comparison to PTT. I've heard they need a few more days to mature but grow slightly bigger, and are much sweeter than a PTT. Looking forward to this experiment..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

His blend is indeed nice. The loggers ripped my clover plot up this April May.

Forgot to mention I will be trying rutabaga as well in comparison to PTT. I've heard they need a few more days to mature but grow slightly bigger, and are much sweeter than a PTT. Looking forward to this experiment..

Yeah Ive read some on rutabaga and have been thinking of doing those instead of turnips. Maybe Ill look into that this year.

well im going with big and beasty in a spot and some oats or something in another spot.... both spots area a about 1/4 acre so not buying bulk seed yet maybe next year when plots get a lil bigger,,, going to turn the ground over next week at this point both spots have gotten two sprayings so weeds are dead, and if any come back more then enough time before planting to spray again

Got my clover blend (Big Buck Perrenial) and some sugar beets from Welter Seed, as recommended by someone here.  Just started growing.  Pure Attraction (oats, peas, and brassicas) from WI are going in August for the first time.  Ordered them through Amazon.  I tried turnips last year, but the deer didn't touch them, and wasn't patient enough to let them find this new food source. Going with half of my field perrenial, half annual.  Just picked up a Land Pride Disc Harrow and it has opened up all kinds of possibilities!

Edited by vcollaco

Billdog,

Tell us more about your spot.  Soil, what's currently on your site, what the immediate area around it, the general area, and what pressures the deer have there.

Custom tuning can make a big difference.

Lack of good local bedding, lack of local water, or areas of high pressure.  

My plots have moderate pressure and compete with larger ag sources.

I made my plot the aftwrnoon cocktails before dinner spot.  Very rough edges, smaller plot sizes, and a contrast to what's there. Plot variety is important too.  Between 3 or 4 different plants grown, they'll find something they'll like at most any time.

Small field that is up against powerlines. Suburbia on one side and state land on the other. Mostly clover. Have been doing turnips and radish also with some rape seed mixed in. Last year they touched the turnips and radish some after years of planting. I think I want to do more oats or rye instead this year.

• Like 1

Small field that is up against powerlines. Suburbia on one side and state land on the other. Mostly clover. Have been doing turnips and radish also with some rape seed mixed in. Last year they touched the turnips and radish some after years of planting. I think I want to do more oats or rye instead this year.

Nothing wrong with giving them a buffet to chose from. Especially until you find out what they prefer.. damn deer can be picky some times. But your soil can make plants taste less attractive too..

• Like 1

I have a roughly 5 acre field that I'm going to turn 2.5-3 of it into a new plot for this fall. Been wanting to tackle this field for awhile now and with the help of a friendly neighbor/farmer, it's gonna happen this year finally.

I will probably change my mind a few times over between now and planting, but here's my list so far..

-Winter wheat...basically just because I have access to millions of pounds of it at work. But I know deer like it and it will provide something during the winter months.

-Purple top turnips...grew a small plot of these last fall and they grew well in my soil, and my deer mowed them right to the ground within a couple days after the first good frost. I pulled a few bulbs from the ground and they figured out quickly how to get the rest out. Plan to go pretty heavy on these in this new plot.

-white clover...will most likely only spread clover over 2 acres to save the other acre or so for future annual experiments. Would like to eventually make this plot a perennial based plot with strips or sections of other stuff.

-chicory...grows great here and my deer love it. Goes well with the clover.

Those 4 I think will be my main ones. I have some left over seed mixes from last year that have some other stuff I can't remember at the moment that I'll toss out in the areas in front of treestands that are placed along the edge of the field. Looking forward to seeing this stuff grow and hunting over it! Can't wait to take a week or two off work in November and get some all day sits in

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I have a roughly 5 acre field that I'm going to turn 2.5-3 of it into a new plot for this fall. Been wanting to tackle this field for awhile now and with the help of a friendly neighbor/farmer, it's gonna happen this year finally.

I will probably change my mind a few times over between now and planting, but here's my list so far..

-Winter wheat...basically just because I have access to millions of pounds of it at work. But I know deer like it and it will provide something during the winter months.

-Purple top turnips...grew a small plot of these last fall and they grew well in my soil, and my deer mowed them right to the ground within a couple days after the first good frost. I pulled a few bulbs from the ground and they figured out quickly how to get the rest out. Plan to go pretty heavy on these in this new plot.

-white clover...will most likely only spread clover over 2 acres to save the other acre or so for future annual experiments. Would like to eventually make this plot a perennial based plot with strips or sections of other stuff.

-chicory...grows great here and my deer love it. Goes well with the clover.

Those 4 I think will be my main ones. I have some left over seed mixes from last year that have some other stuff I can't remember at the moment that I'll toss out in the areas in front of treestands that are placed along the edge of the field. Looking forward to seeing this stuff grow and hunting over it! Can't wait to take a week or two off work in November and get some all day sits in

Wish i had a 5 acre field to play with, the things I would do with (1) 5 acre field lol.  I like mixing those clovers and chicory right in with your Winter Wheat planting, or into your PTT.  Great to use as a cover crop to clovers.. Left over seed, i hope you get good germination from it, Ive heard keeping it frozen in a sealed bag is best for good germination the following year. Post some pics before during and after, those are always neat!

Some sort of walls or fruit or hard mast trees would look nice out in that field too! lol 

• Like 2

Wish i had a 5 acre field to play with, the things I would do with (1) 5 acre field lol.  I like mixing those clovers and chicory right in with your Winter Wheat planting, or into your PTT.  Great to use as a cover crop to clovers.. Left over seed, i hope you get good germination from it, Ive heard keeping it frozen in a sealed bag is best for good germination the following year. Post some pics before during and after, those are always neat!
Some sort of walls or fruit or hard mast trees would look nice out in that field too! lol 

I am very lucky the old lady neighbor lets me use the property as my own. I do plan on buying it soon, hoping as early as next spring. Once that happens, I plan on putting in a lot of trees for food and as cover/screening.

I'm excited to see what this plot will turn out as come season. I think the 4 seed types I'm going with will provide good hunting and nutrition. I'm up in the hills just off the catskill mountains and we get some early frosts, which I think will make my plot turn very tasty come mid-late October.

The left over seed I have is from deer creek seed co. It's some stuff I won in a Facebook photo contest. It's in a vacuum sealed bag so I'm hoping that preserved it well enough. I'm just going to overseed this stuff over my main mix in front of one of my stands just for the heck of it. If it grows, great, if not o well haha.

I ultimately want to plant a screen around the entire perimeter of the plot, with maybe even a strip down the middle. But I think I'm going to be a little late for that this year. That stuff should be getting planted right now, even a couple weeks ago. I'll have to wait for next year on doing that the right way. I thought about planting some corn to use as a weak screen around the edge just because I get it from work by the truck load. It will be late for corn and will probably never reach maturity, but it's free so maybe I'll try it just for fun on part of the edge.

I will take lots of pics of the whole process. Gonna stop over to my other neighbor later today and see if we can get the brush hog mounted on his Ford 8n so I can get to work on mowing the field down.
  • Like 1

Congrats, hope the property becomes yours sooner than later. I just planted my 2 seperate screens this week. But the hybrid sorghum I planted has been planted into early July and still grew near 10ft tall. It's my first time with screens so I'm excited to try it, I bought from Northwoods whitetails.com. Check out pheasantsforever.com for screening blends. My buddy bought some there and his said it matures in 45-60 days, so he's waiting a bit to plant it. Pretty cheap too. And you get like 5 acres worth of seed.

• Like 2