Who does sausage?

dbHunterNY

So thawed some venison and tried making some sweet Italian sausages for the grill. It was a pain between soaking casings and then getting it in the casings with the jerky gun. Managed to vac pack several lbs of it though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you are going to get serious about making sausage, ditch the jerky gun and get a sausage stuffer.

The casings generally take a week or so to soften up, and will last indefintely if you keep changing the water. Or you can freeze softened casings, they work fine once they are thawed out.

Or, keep it simple and just make bulk sausage, and freeze it like you would hamburger.

Good luck!!

3 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

If you are going to get serious about making sausage, ditch the jerky gun and get a sausage stuffer.

The casings generally take a week or so to soften up, and will last indefintely if you keep changing the water. Or you can freeze softened casings, they work fine once they are thawed out.

Or, keep it simple and just make bulk sausage, and freeze it like you would hamburger.

Good luck!!

Nick,

What kind of casings are taking a week to soften for you? I've used non edible and collagen  as well as natural pig casings and never had to do that

• Like 2

Bulk is already made. Wanted some in casings so I could throw them on the grill easier and not have to make patties. The jerky gun isn't ideal but its what I already have. It worked better once i got the hang of it. Using dry salted natural hog casings.

You don't need a press, Moogie...

#1  grab a handful sausage  in right hand

#2....Raise  left arm

#3  Stuff sausage in armpit and lower arm to press..

VOILA !!  You have a lovely patty...All you have to do is pick a few hairs off it and throw on grill or freeze...

• Like 3

I have never had an issue with casings, I buy salted natural casings for fresh sausage, and let them soak in warm water for 5 or 10 mins before I use them, just to get some of the salt off. When I use collagen ones, I dont do anything but slide them onto the nozzle of the stuffer. When I make sausage that I plan on cooking as patties, I make it into patties with a burger press right away and freeze them with wax paper in between each patty so they are ready to go when I thaw and cook them.

BTW, get a stuffer, makes it super fast and simple.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nick,

What kind of casings are taking a week to soften for you? I've used non edible and collagen  as well as natural pig casings and never had to do that

On 6/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nick,

I always use natural casings, I buy them from the SausageMaker in Buffalo, they come packed in salt, 32-35 mm size. Maybe I should have said "for optimal use soak 5 days or more", but I got the impression from dbHunterNY that he was having issues with the casings, so I thought I would give a helpful tip.

I am not saying they CAN'T be used right out of the bag after a few hours soak. But you will get MUCH better results if you let the casings soak for a week or so before you use them, especially if you are planning to make smoked sausage, and need to tie them in hoops to hang in a smoker, they will be much more flexible and adhere to the meat without leaving gaps to form air pockets. If you keep changing the water once a week or so, they will last for months this way without getting weak or strong smelling and you can always freeze and defrost them like this and use them immediately once they thaw out. This is what we always did when I worked in a market, also what I always did when I ran my deer processing business. Just a little benefit of my experience, passed on from your Uncle Nicky. ;) 

I've used collagen casings, never really liked them much, and pretty much impossible to use for smoked sausage (other than Slim Jims or Landjaeger). 

I realize the topic was fresh (unsmoked) sausage, but here is a discussion some of us had 2 1/2 years ago:

Edited by Uncle Nicky

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thank you Nick. I will give it a try like that. I've never heard that before.

I think you'll see that the casings are a LOT easier to work with this way, plus it saves you the effort of rinsing & flushing each casing individually.

Well I had a length of casing break open but i think it was torn to begin with. Probably something I did. I had soaked them for probably a day and a half. They seemed pretty manageable. I think the plastic jerky gun with short stubby nozzle is what hindered my efforts slightly. Dad has decent size commercial Hobart grinder and nozzle but didn't seem worth lugging it out of his garage and cleaning it twice. Thing's gotta weigh over 50 lbs without the neck and accessories. I'll probably pick up a press or stuffer. Holding out for a second grinder. Dad's keeps going but it's probably 40 years old at least.

I make hundreds of pounds of sausage every yr. I've never, nor have I ever heard or read, until now, to let natural casings soak for 5 days. 

Not saying it won't work, but totally unnecessary. A hr or so and change the water once or twice is all that's needed. 

Edited by mowin

I make hundreds of pounds of sausage every yr. I've never, nor have I ever heard or read, until now, to let natural casings soak for 5 days. 

Not saying it won't work, but totally unnecessary. A hr or so and change the water once or twice is all that's needed. 

I used to make hundreds of pounds per day, but what do I know.:rolleyes: Softer casings = faster production and ease in stuffing. Do what makes you happy. :)

Edited by Uncle Nicky

12 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Well I had a length of casing break open but i think it was torn to begin with. Probably something I did. I had soaked them for probably a day and a half. They seemed pretty manageable. I think the plastic jerky gun with short stubby nozzle is what hindered my efforts slightly. Dad has decent size commercial Hobart grinder and nozzle but didn't seem worth lugging it out of his garage and cleaning it twice. Thing's gotta weigh over 50 lbs without the neck and accessories. I'll probably pick up a press or stuffer. Holding out for a second grinder. Dad's keeps going but it's probably 40 years old at least.

I wouldnt bother stuffing with a grinder. I have done it that way before, and you end up with an air pocket down the center of the sausage, which makes the meat dryish when you cook them. If you go to Gander right now, their 5lb vertical stuffers are $49 with 25% off.

45 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I wouldnt bother stuffing with a grinder. I have done it that way before, and you end up with an air pocket down the center of the sausage, which makes the meat dryish when you cook them. If you go to Gander right now, their 5lb vertical stuffers are $49 with 25% off.

can't order online anymore i take it from the website.  There's a store 45 minutes south of here.  might go check it out.  don't know how picked over it is but it's a location that isn't getting closed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

How the big boys do it.....

I recognize the knot that the guy used to tie off the end...

It's the double step over Japanese cock knot...  My Uncle Lance  taught it to me...He  learned how to do it at  Dirty  Edna's  Bath House in San Francisco... I was surprised to learn that they made sausage in a bath house.. I figured they just took showers and stuff.  I's ask Uncle Lance about it, but he died from Aids a couple of years ago..

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I recognize the knot that the guy used to tie off the end...

It's the double step over Japanese cock knot...  My Uncle Lance  taught it to me...He  learned how to do it at  Dirty  Edna's  Bath House in San Francisco... I was surprised to learn that they made sausage in a bath house.. I figured they just took showers and stuff.  I's ask Uncle Lance about it, but he died from Aids a couple of years ago..

giphy.gif

• Like 2