It's been a while since we had a Mountain Lion thread

Steuben Jerry

Certainly not a very good picture....Thanks for sharing, Jerry...

Funny thing, I haven't heard any pumacougar stories around the Legion lately..Usually  summertime is when you hear them, when it's a little tougher to find physical evidence, such as tracks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grampy said:

Dog. The lower leg shape and paw size is not even close to what a big cat should be. Neck shape is different too. Besides, everyone knows, all the cougar's are in Albany County, not Rensselear County! :D

I could understand a random daytime cougar sighting here in Monroe County, they just shut the biggest cougar bar in the area down, so they are wandering around aimlessly looking for new feeding grounds here.

• Like 4

puts out a $100 dollar Stealth cam all halfa&&.  gets a lousy picture of a stray or poorly owned dog.  all of the sudden we've got pumas migrating from central and south america.  only time i give it any thoughts is when a local game farm zoo might have lost one and kept it secret from the public.  even that's a bit of a conspiracy theory.  a dog if left wild and free will kill chickens and cats.  most of us here in Rensselaer county aren't crazy.

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I could understand a random daytime cougar sighting here in Monroe County, they just shut the biggest cougar bar in the area down, so they are wandering around aimlessly looking for new feeding grounds here.

You'll have to let us know where their new hang out is ...you know,so we can avoid going there.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the vid but I looked at the pic and absent scale or, well, a good picture it could be anything from a mountain lion to a house cat to a half mountain lion half chimp chimera; the front of its face looks a lot like an ape to me. I think given the scarcity of info here the safest bet is probably a half cat/ape hybrid. Because if we prepare for the worst, we'll probably make out okay. If the chimps have started mating with big cats, we'll end up facing beasts that combine the agility of a large cat with the brains of a chimp and we could be in for some real trouble.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Core said:

I didn't watch the vid but I looked at the pic and absent scale or, well, a good picture it could be anything from a mountain lion to a house cat to a half mountain lion half chimp chimera; the front of its face looks a lot like an ape to me. I think given the scarcity of info here the safest bet is probably a half cat/ape hybrid. Because if we prepare for the worst, we'll probably make out okay. If the chimps have started mating with big cats, we'll end up facing beasts that combine the agility of a large cat with the brains of a chimp and we could be in for some real trouble.

That makes sense. 

I have some high doubts it's a mountain lion in that pic. But I have no doubts there are some around.

Chatted with a state trooper back in turkey season at the Cumberland farms in my town getting a cup of coffee and he was telling me to be careful out there (was dressed in my turkey hunting camo) I said whys that? He says he has seen a mountain lion 2 times in the last month and a few other troopers supposedly seen them also. He went on to tell me all about this cat that leaped across the road in front of him and swore up and down that he knows it's a mountain lion. I said thanks for the heads up and for him to be careful on the job. No idea if his stories are true but it's just another supposed sighting to add to the list.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:28 AM, Paula said:

It's all over FB.  Looks like a rotti with a long tail

On 6/16/2017 at 7:28 AM, Paula said:

It's all over FB.  Looks like a rotti with a long tail

Yeah the neck, chest and legs don't look right for a cat

That took long enough...obvious a cat from rounded tail tip and length...also the slightest catch of striping in fur, dark grey/black tabby. Thought front shoulder and foot was way funky looking. Look at the width of drive , camera height and the light line of grass seen beyond the body you can tell it's not very tall at all. Plus the diamiter of limbs in front of the cam,as view cam on tree, not the picture...They better worry more about the coyote or fisher thats snatching up pets.  Think that reporter ever vCard asked locals if anyone owned or had seen a stray tabby wondering around?...lolI hope the report feels like a putts:rolleyes:..and I'm usually open minded about this stuff...

Edited by growalot