High Fence Deer Hunting

Core

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

By the way, Joel caught a 5lb large mouth today.  His biggest yet.  

At a boy Joel!  Way to go buddy!  Before you know it, all the big time fishing sponsors will be knocking on your door!

• Like 2

We're you hitting the craft brews early today Biz? You are in rare form today , I'm thoroughly entertained with all the back and forth in this thread.

That's all I got. I was bored on subway on way to stadium. Now I'm drinking and watching game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes. I was going with it until someone said otherwise

Pretty sure will smith killed a deer in 2A then, along with some other creatures. Might as well offer $1mm.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

They just want a buck!   For many of us with good land access, knowledge of deer patterns and experience this is a simple task to get any deer but the average Joe with no help little experience can go many years with no sightings at all. 

But why do people want a buck? Because there is some sense of pride to it, some club to join. If you're being led by hand to just the right spot to an area with an insane density of deer and shooting some buck with a rack so heavy it can hardly hold its head up, and it's in the middle of eating off a feeder, you didn't hunt jack squat. You merely shot it; you killed an animal that has been damn near domesticated. It's as impressive as a farmer who raises cows saying he's a cow hunter.

I sense a little guilt in this thread over others hesitant to criticize because perhaps they know they are not sporting (not directing that at you). Truthfully there are not many guys here hardcore into hunting. If you sit the same stand a few times/year and you've culled 50 deer from the same spot over the same feed plot it's way less impressive than the few here who go out for very long stalks in big woods with a very low chance of success. And make no mistake: I'd love to be able to harvest deer off my back deck as well, but it can't be compared to still hunting from the ground in a low deer population area, for example.

Nonetheless, both of the last two require some degree of skill, some chance, some perseverance. A guaranteed hunt is not a hunt: it's grocery shopping.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

I agree but we are talking about our own personal opinions. I prefer venison to beef. 

There are many reasons venison gets a bad rap, but the biggest is the way it is handled after it is killed.  Many folks cut them up and process right away, not allowing the rigor mortis to work out of the meat.   Others take it to a processor on opening day, where it gets thrown onto a pile without good temperature control for who knows how long.   Beef is almost always handled properly and aged properly before it is processed.  

The second biggest mistake folks make with venison is over cooking it.  It always has far less fat in it than beef, and will dry out if overcooked. Rare is best and anything over medium rare is too much.  

Third is how the animal is killed.  Cattle are always killed quickly, and the guts removed immediately.  Poorly hit deer that suffer for more than a couple minutes prior to death will not taste as good.   Backing out until morning and leaving the guts in over night will hurt taste, even if the deer died quickly.

The age of the animal also affects flavor with younger ones generally tasting better.   What the deer eats is important.  Those from ag areas that feed on the same things as beef cattle (corn, clover, soybeans etc) can taste very similar to beef.    

The tenderloins and backstraps from a six month old corn/clover fed buck, killed quickly with a heart/lung shot, gutted immediately, aged 3 days at 33-43 F, and cooked rare, taste as good or better than beef fillets that I have had at some fine steak-houses.

The best part of the venison is that it is better for your heart than beef, due to the lower fat percentage.   How much time do you want to spend with your grandkids someday ?   You might be better off giving the beef away and eating the deer.  

I can understand why a 4-1/2 year old bark-eating buck that requires a half dozen bullets to bring down, and needed to be dragged miles out of the mountains in warm weather before processing might leave a bad taste in someones mouth.    

Edited by wolc123

And your pop up ground blind is any better ?

It's not a popup and only 1 kill using it on the first day. Next year I will cheat more and use a treestand and a compound. Or maybe just never hunt again, who knows. It's the dog days of June, bigger fish to fry.

Nothing ethical about killing a deer with bow and arrow. I got lucky and my xbow buck died in 7 yards through the heart but that's rare. Bowhunting and xbow hunting should be banned like Europe (I think)

• Like 1

Now bow hunting is unethical? O god here we go...

I'd like to see you sit in a stand from dark to dark for weeks on end. Let's so who has more internal drive to seal the deal. Sitting in a tree for hours on end is the hardest thing for me to do. But it's the only way your going to shoot big whitetails with a higher success rate average. I could out walk just about anyone in the hills, but that's not going to get me a big buck where I live.

• Like 1

Now bow hunting is unethical? O god here we go...

I'd like to see you sit in a stand from dark to dark for weeks on end. Let's so who has more internal drive to seal the deal. Sitting in a tree for hours on end is the hardest thing for me to do. But it's the only way your going to shoot big whitetails with a higher success rate average. I could out walk just about anyone in the hills, but that's not going to get me a big buck where I live.

lol if sitting in stands dark to dark is the measure of a capable hunter than you can cash me out! If that was what was required to be a "hunter" I would eat more beef and catch a lot more fish.

• Like 2

No two hunters are in it for the same reasons.  The main reason I do it is to provide top-quality protein for my family, and for myself.  Hunting from home or at my folks place, near and around foodplots, is the most cost-effective way for me to do that.   Working on those plots is nearly as much fun for me as harvesting the deer, and it provides year-round entertainment.  For those with lots of disposable income, not much free time and with a desire for big antlers on the wall, a high-fence hunt makes a lot of sense.   Those who enjoy the challenge of outsmarting a wise old buck are smart to hunt from high in a tree during archery season (just don't forget to properly use your safety harness).   The challenge of still-hunting the mountains in lower density areas is also one that I enjoy very much and plan to spend more time at in the coming years. 

Those who find fault in the methods that others use are merely demonstrating their own weakness, insecurity, and unhappiness.   There is a cure for those problems.  If you want to know what it is, look at some of my previous posts (or maybe Chef will clue you in).  

Edited by wolc123

lol if sitting in stands dark to dark is the measure of a capable hunter than you can cash me out! If that was what was required to be a "hunter" I would eat more beef and catch a lot more fish.

It's a measure of your ability to hold out. It gets extremely boring and hard to sit still after 5-6 hours. Not to mention you get colder much faster, you get stiff and tired. Your mind and eyes play tricks on you after awhile. It's a huge physiological drain.

This is like listening to idiots say driving 18 wheelers is easy because "all you do is sit there". I'm a very capable person who can do just about anything I set my mind to, but sitting as still as possible for entire days is a major challenge for everyone I've ever met. If you don't think so, your lying to yourself.

And no one ever said stand hunting was a "requirement". Last I checked there wasn't such a thing in hunting. Everyone has their own style and way of doing things. Not sure when that all of a sudden became a problem and ammo for people to flame others as being "unworthy" hunters. Does it make you an unworthy hunter compared to me because I have been to guide school and worked as a guide? If we wanted to get technical, I'm professionally trained, your not, but that still doesn't make me think anyones personal preferred style of hunting is wrong or unworthy of the cause. When I was in school we practiced and studied hundreds of different hunting methods, and never once did the instructors tell us one way or another made you a better hunter or more worthy of being called one. This whole thread has turned into a childish "I'm better than you" game.

It's a measure of your ability to hold out. It gets extremely boring and hard to sit still after 5-6 hours. Not to mention you get colder much faster, you get stiff and tired. Your mind and eyes play tricks on you after awhile. It's a huge physiological drain.
This is like listening to idiots say driving 18 wheelers is easy because "all you do is sit there". I'm a very capable person who can do just about anything I set my mind to, but sitting as still as possible for entire days is a major challenge for everyone I've ever met. If you don't think so, your lying to yourself.
And no one ever said stand hunting was a "requirement". Last I checked there wasn't such a thing in hunting. Everyone has their own style and way of doing things. Not sure when that all of a sudden became a problem and ammo for people to flame others as being "unworthy" hunters. Does it make you an unworthy hunter compared to me because I have been to guide school and worked as a guide? If we wanted to get technical, I'm professionally trained, your not, but that still doesn't make me think anyones personal preferred style of hunting is wrong or unworthy of the cause. When I was in school we practiced and studied hundreds of different hunting methods, and never once did the instructors tell us one way or another made you a better hunter or more worthy of being called one. This whole thread has turned into a childish "I'm better than you" game.

Not to toot your own horn but "toot-toot." I couldn't give any less of a crap about how or why anyone else hunts or who is better or worse or who has more trophy a or been to "school." I hunt for me, I don't hunt for meat or for a trophy I hunt for me.

If sitting in a stand daylight till dark to shoot a deer you have been watching for months and have hard drives worth of trail cam picks gets your rocks hard, cool. I'll congratulate you on your trophy, that just ain't for me.

48 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Even though Core started this threaded, I am prettty sure this is all Biz's fault.  Like a school kid out for the summer looking to cause some trouble.  Well done Biz.  Lol

We are definitely going down another path this time, but there is enough sarcasm (I think?) from bizroworld that it's still interesting. I don't even know when people are being serious in this thread now ^_^

Even though Core started this threaded, I am prettty sure this is all Biz's fault.  Like a school kid out for the summer looking to cause some trouble.  Well done Biz.  Lol

Haha it was fun. I'm too busy today to carry-on

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Core said:

But why do people want a buck? Because there is some sense of pride to it, some club to join. If you're being led by hand to just the right spot to an area with an insane density of deer and shooting some buck with a rack so heavy it can hardly hold its head up, and it's in the middle of eating off a feeder, you didn't hunt jack squat. You merely shot it; you killed an animal that has been damn near domesticated. It's as impressive as a farmer who raises cows saying he's a cow hunter.

I sense a little guilt in this thread over others hesitant to criticize because perhaps they know they are not sporting (not directing that at you). Truthfully there are not many guys here hardcore into hunting. If you sit the same stand a few times/year and you've culled 50 deer from the same spot over the same feed plot it's way less impressive than the few here who go out for very long stalks in big woods with a very low chance of success. And make no mistake: I'd love to be able to harvest deer off my back deck as well, but it can't be compared to still hunting from the ground in a low deer population area, for example.

Nonetheless, both of the last two require some degree of skill, some chance, some perseverance. A guaranteed hunt is not a hunt: it's grocery shopping.

17 hours ago, Core said:

Now wait a minute. There is always the challenge of picking the right trophy animal that you actually paid for. You don't want any extra charges for shooting the wrong one. And then there is that challenging shot as you poke your rifle through the slats of the barnyard fence, waiting for just the perfect shot. You know, the shot where the critter actually wakes up and opens its eyes. Or maybe to avoid making a mess of the feed trough, you might have to wait until it lifts its head out of the trough. Perhaps the owner can help by calling out its name so it comes over to the fence and he scratches its forehead while you line up on the heart-lung area. So let's not belittle the heavy challenges of these kinds of "hunts".

• Like 3

I prefer to chase my chickens around the damn meadow for 10 mins sprinting up and down until finally catching them and chopping their head off with a hatchet and making some really delicious soup and pasta dishes. Gives my my Rocky moment and I feel like a boxing champ for a short while

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On June 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Doc said:

Now wait a minute. There is always the challenge of picking the right trophy animal that you actually paid for. You don't want any extra charges for shooting the wrong one. And then there is that challenging shot as you poke your rifle through the slats of the barnyard fence, waiting for just the perfect shot. You know, the shot where the critter actually wakes up and opens its eyes. Or maybe to avoid making a mess of the feed trough, you might have to wait until it lifts its head out of the trough. Perhaps the owner can help by calling out its name so it comes over to the fence and he scratches its forehead while you line up on the heart-lung area. So let's not belittle the heavy challenges of these kinds of "hunts".

Nobody said it's a challenge , a nice vacation where  they put you up in great rooms, cook you fantastic meals and serve you fancy cocktails . A nice side note is you kill a gaint buck , which they gut and process to boot . Cost me 10k to sit on a beach  for a week and no buck !!!

• Like 1

What about a guided out of state hunt??? You do nothing but either follow someone or sit in a stand/blind they set for you.... Is this now considered unethical or not hunting???? How far are we going to try and push this??? I'm not saying you personally feel like that.. I'm asking the group.. 

I'm not knocking any method, just responding to Biz. I've hunted hogs in a pen, it's fun. Not a challenge but I don't think hog hunting anywhere is much of one and I'm not paying thousands to travel and get one.
  • Like 1