High Fence Deer Hunting

Core

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

And the right access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geeze Biz, it ain't that easy and I am glad its not.  I am not saying you have to be a hunting guru but it takes work.  C'mon up, I will give you my bow and you can pick a stand, knock down your buck and on your way. 

You know how many NY hunters are disappointed every year and 99% hunt from those easy stands.  You have land, you should know that its not as simple as you make it sound.  I did stalk one with the recurve two seasons ago and shoot her from the ground.  Cool experience but unless you have huge acreage, not the most viable way to hunt - blows out small properties real quick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Geeze Biz, it ain't that easy and I am glad its not.  I am not saying you have to be a hunting guru but it takes work.  C'mon up, I will give you my bow and you can pick a stand, knock down your buck and on your way. 

You know how many NY hunters are disappointed every year and 99% hunt from those easy stands.  You have land, you should know that its not as simple as you make it sound.  I did stalk one with the recurve two seasons ago and shoot her from the ground.  Cool experience but unless you have huge acreage, not the most viable way to hunt - blows out small properties real quick.

I didn't necessarily mean you have to spot & stalk- moreso just meant hunting from the ground (blind or no blind) is still a lot more fun.

But access is huge, its a numbers game. Trying to kill one 100" buck on 100 acres is much tougher than trying to kill one of eight 100" bucks on 100 acres. That's why a guy in Iowa on the right farm has a million times better % chance of killing a booner than someone in say the catskills.

8 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Hey FSW which one of the pens has the stockers in it. 

IMG_0996.PNG

What makes ya think they are on the home farm? Hello. Owning 3 places gives me plenty of options! Now you really wish you were me huh! Give it up loser. You are getting nowhere!  I have... You dont...Deal with it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I didn't necessarily mean you have to spot & stalk- moreso just meant hunting from the ground (blind or no blind) is still a lot more fun.

But access is huge, its a numbers game. Trying to kill one 100" buck on 100 acres is much tougher than trying to kill one of eight 100" bucks on 100 acres. That's why a guy in Iowa on the right farm has a million times better % chance of killing a booner than someone in say the catskills.

A lot more fun or impressive?  Blinds are often easier than stands to kill deer from in my experience.  I suspect your opinion would change if you bow hunted.  BTW - even in IA, I don't think there many 100 acre spots with 8 100" bucks roaming.  But of course, better property means better opportunities. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

What about a guided out of state hunt??? You do nothing but either follow someone or sit in a stand/blind they set for you.... Is this now considered unethical or not hunting???? How far are we going to try and push this??? I'm not saying you personally feel like that.. I'm asking the group.. 

Same thing without the fence huh. Guide tells you to pull up your high powered rifle that will kill within a mile and drop that fair chase animal he just found for ya. Bottom line is that nothing is going to be a success without demand. For every nay sayer saying that's not for me there are 5 others doing it. Who do you think will hold all tha marbles when it's over. HF is a massive venture in about every state where in most states the demand out numbers the product!  That's a good thing for some of us!

A lot more fun or impressive?  Blinds are often easier than stands to kill deer from in my experience.  I suspect your opinion would change if you bow hunted.  BTW - even in IA, I don't think there many 100 acre spots with 8 100" bucks roaming.  But of course, better property means better opportunities. 

Impressive. Treestands are cheating and everyone knows treestand kills don't count, unless the kill weapon is spear.

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Impressive. Treestands are cheating and everyone knows treestand kills don't count, unless the kill weapon is spear.

lol - does an atlatl count.  What about if you just sit in the tree without a stand?  Shouldn't hiding behind a natural ground blind be cheating too?  What about camo clothing?  Scent blocker better be prohibited.  Or shooting anything further than 15yds?  Guns seem like cheating too, especially rifles.  Actually any weapon with a sight should be precluded.  AS a matter of fact, if you can't kill it with your bare hands, it seems unfair to the game.  Man, you have raised so many serious questions.  Enjoy the Mets.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Regarding venison, let's all face the facts. Venison is good, sometimes great. But it doesn't compare to a great cow steak.

Not for me.  Steak is boring.  Cook up some backstrap the way it should be cooked up and I'll take it over beef any day of the week.  The problem is most people have never eaten well prepared venison, so they don't have much to compare to.

• Like 6

I have no problems with people expressing their opinions on what seems like hunting to them and what doesn't. I do the same thing myself. I have a whole list of techniques that do or don't fit into my version of what hunting is all about. I don't state those opinions to influence anyone else's hunting activities, but simply to sample what hunting means to hunters in general and to see how much commonality between hunters there is as far as motives and attitudes about what people expect to get out of hunting. That sort of discussion provides indicators as to what direction the future of hunting is heading. It is a matter of curiosity. I do believe that I have seen motives and purposes change in a large way as the years have passed. The element of challenge seems to be slipping off into obscurity, and the emphasis seems more pointed toward hunting by numbers in attempts to receive peer approval. Things are pointed more toward acceptance than actual achievement. It all is personal and based on some very complex human behavior and psychology. There is no real "right" or "wrong" in all of this, just a discussion and look at where hunting is at these days and where it is heading, and why.

47 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

What makes ya think they are on the home farm? Hello. Owning 3 places gives me plenty of options! Now you really wish you were me huh! Give it up loser. You are getting nowhere!  I have... You dont...Deal with it!

Are you capable of discussing any topic without name calling? Might want to reread the forum rules. 

One property you own is the "Family camp" near the park correct? The first time you brought that up you were in on it now you claim to be the sole owner? Also in on a beef farm correct? 

I think you like to brag but the reality is a lot less exciting than you make it out to be. On top of that I truly don't care anything about you and I damn sure am not jealous of you or any man.

You are a random guy on the internet, that's it. 

HF is shooting, not hunting. Never will be. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have no problems with people expressing their opinions on what seems like hunting to them and what doesn't. I do the same thing myself. I have a whole list of techniques that do or don't fit into my version of what hunting is all about. I don't state those opinions to influence anyone else's hunting activities, but simply to sample what hunting means to hunters in general and to see how much commonality between hunters there is as far as motives and attitudes about what people expect to get out of hunting. That sort of discussion provides indicators as to what direction the future of hunting is heading. It is a matter of curiosity. I do believe that I have seen motives and purposes change in a large way as the years have passed. The element of challenge seems to be slipping off into obscurity, and the emphasis seems more pointed toward hunting by numbers in attempts to receive peer approval. Things are pointed more toward acceptance than actual achievement. It all is personal and based on some very complex human behavior and psychology. There is no real "right" or "wrong" in all of this, just a discussion and look at where hunting is at these days and where it is heading, and why.

Interesting Doc and you may be right, but it seems that there is a resurgence of traditional bowhunting presumably to increase the challenge.  Then again, we all live in our own world and perhaps that is just my perception.  Of course HF hunting is more in line with what you are suggesting.

Not for me.  Steak is boring.  Cook up some backstrap the way it should be cooked up and I'll take it over beef any day of the week.  The problem is most people have never eaten well prepared venison, so they don't have much to compare to.

I eat venison and steak the same. Salt and Pepper and grilled. Medium rare.

Take the best meat chef in the world and cook me both I'll still take cow

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I only eat beef like four times a year other than a hamburger once in a while. I would choose venison every time given a choice. 

• Like 2

lol - does an atlatl count.  What about if you just sit in the tree without a stand?  Shouldn't hiding behind a natural ground blind be cheating too?  What about camo clothing?  Scent blocker better be prohibited.  Or shooting anything further than 15yds?  Guns seem like cheating too, especially rifles.  Actually any weapon with a sight should be precluded.  AS a matter of fact, if you can't kill it with your bare hands, it seems unfair to the game.  Man, you have raised so many serious questions.  Enjoy the Mets.

Exactly. This is why hunting shouldn't be a sport anymore. Naked with a spear is only fair.

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Exactly. This is why hunting shouldn't be a sport anymore. Naked with a spear is only fair.

Its not a sport.  Its a means to feeding my family and putting antlers on my wall.  lol  Ok, not really.  Just a fun hobby.  And stop with the spear unless you plan to give the deer a spear and teach them out to use it too.  Mano a mano!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Are you capable of discussing any topic without name calling? Might want to reread the forum rules. 

One property you own is the "Family camp" near the park correct? The first time you brought that up you were in on it now you claim to be the sole owner? Also in on a beef farm correct? 

I think you like to brag but the reality is a lot less exciting than you make it out to be. On top of that I truly don't care anything about you and I damn sure am not jealous of you or any man.

You are a random guy on the internet, that's it. 

HF is shooting, not hunting. Never will be. 

lol for someone not attracted you sure like to stalk my comings and goings!  And your right. I have been blessed with many things and many ventures all because of the Whitetail Deer!  Again you last comment is an opinion that means very little in the big picture!

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I eat venison and steak the same. Salt and Pepper and grilled. Medium rare.

Take the best meat chef in the world and cook me both I'll still take cow

That there is probably the issue with the venison for you.  Grilled is NOT the best way to prepare it.  Put it in a pan and prepare it right and backstrap will literally melt in your mouth.

That there is probably the issue with the venison for you.  Grilled is NOT the best way to prepare it.  Put it in a pan and prepare it right and backstrap will literally melt in your mouth.

Oh yea people are lining up to pay big bucks for venison at restaurants lol.

Even my cats prefer cow or lamb than venison

Earlier in the thread Four Season Whitetails said to me:

For you to even take the time out of your life to worry about others and something that has nothing to do with your world shows your lacking.

And now he has way more posts in it than I do and, by the look of it, anybody else, as he worries and rants against others that have nothing to do with him.

Now that is something special you don't get to see every day. 

• Like 1

As someone that raises beef and shoots my share of deer I will say this I give away deer every year and I have yet to give away any beef and it's certainly not due to cost because I think beef is cheaper than I spend to kill deer. All around beef beats the hell out of venison any day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As someone that raises beef and shoots my share of deer I will say this I give away deer every year and I have yet to give away any beef and it's certainly not due to cost because I think beef is cheaper than I spend to kill deer. All around beef beats the hell out of venison any day.

Heck yes.

• Like 1