High Fence Deer Hunting

Core

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No. Both are unimpressive.

I'm not out to impress you or anyone else, bud. But I think you're way off the mark to say if I hunt from a ladder stand on public or even private, open land., it's the same as if I was high fence hunting.

Is that what you're really inferring?

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Oh yea people are lining up to pay big bucks for venison at restaurants lol.

Even my cats prefer cow or lamb than venison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because most people have been programmed since childhood to eat beef, pork, chicken, etc.  Not many other than hunters are even willing to try venison.  That is their loss and not mine.  No matter what FSW thinks that hunting is all about "horns", I for one hunt for the venison before anything else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As someone that raises beef and shoots my share of deer I will say this I give away deer every year and I have yet to give away any beef and it's certainly not due to cost because I think beef is cheaper than I spend to kill deer. All around beef beats the hell out of venison any day.

I agree but we are talking about our own personal opinions. I prefer venison to beef. 

I'm not out to impress you or anyone else, bud. But I think you're way off the mark to say if I hunt from a ladder stand on public or even private, open land., it's the same as if I was high fence hunting.
Is that what you're really inferring?

Spear or get on the ground. What did the poor deer ever do to you?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Core said:

Earlier in the thread Four Season Whitetails said to me:

For you to even take the time out of your life to worry about others and something that has nothing to do with your world shows your lacking.

And now he has way more posts in it than I do and, by the look of it, anybody else, as he worries and rants against others that have nothing to do with him.

Now that is something special you don't get to see every day. 

It's fun to get him going once in a while. 

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

That's because most people have been programmed since childhood to eat beef, pork, chicken, etc.  Not many other than hunters are even willing to try venison.  That is their loss and not mine.  No matter what FSW thinks that hunting is all about "horns", I for one hunt for the venison before anything else.

I do, too. I hunt for the meat and the best part of antlers to me currently is it just makes it easier to attach a rope to the deer. That may change at some point, but I was attracted to hunting in large part as a primal sort of thing; get closer to the food source.

• Like 1

I'll chime in with my first hand knowledge. HF hunting (where legal) is fine in my book for those that care to do so.  Although I would never shell out that kind of cash myself, I have hunted HF twice in Texas. I won the hunt in a contest sponsored by Zeiss and S.W.F.A. The first trip was to an unknown (to the sponsors) destination that only had about 200 acres fenced. The breeder pens and animals were not hunted. I shot a decent 10 point management buck. I did not complain as it was free to me. The sponsors were unhappy though , so I was invited back the following year to a beautiful lodge with about 2000 acres fenced. I shot a nice 14 point that was not one of their "managed" bucks...no ear tags! I had fun.... in a different sort of way. The owner and folks over there were super nice. The food and accommodations were first class. Would I ever go back on my dime? No way. I'll stick to our Steuben County cabin... it's the way I prefer it.  But, I can say without a doubt it was not like shooting pen raised critters. These deer were all free roaming and hid themselves very well. The fence was primarily to keep others out... not deer in. It's big business in Texas and tons of cash trades hands. I seem to recall the owner telling me it costs him about 36 grand a month to feed, monitor and manage his deer. Taint cheap.

• Like 2

I'll chime in with my first hand knowledge. HF hunting (where legal) is fine in my book for those that care to do so.  Although I would never shell out that kind of cash myself, I have hunted HF twice in Texas. I won the hunt in a contest sponsored by Zeiss and S.W.F.A. The first trip was to an unknown (to the sponsors) destination that only had about 200 acres fenced. The breeder pens and animals were not hunted. I shot a decent 10 point management buck. I did not complain as it was free to me. The sponsors were unhappy though , so I was invited back the following year to a beautiful lodge with about 2000 acres fenced. I shot a nice 14 point that was not one of their "managed" bucks...no ear tags! I had fun.... in a different sort of way. The owner and folks over there were super nice. The food and accommodations were first class. Would I ever go back on my dime? No way. I'll stick to our Steuben County cabin... it's the way I prefer it.  But, I can say without a doubt it was not like shooting pen raised critters. These deer were all free roaming and hid themselves very well. The fence was primarily to keep others out... not deer in. It's big business in Texas and tons of cash trades hands. I seem to recall the owner telling me it costs him about 36 grand a month to feed, monitor and manage his deer. Taint cheap.

All I see here is "taint"

3 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Good post, Texas is way different than NY in terms of HF and what they do. I would say more places there get it right than up here. Some places advertise 1-2000 acres but they don't tell you it's cut up into many kill pens and not one big area. 

Personaly I could give a rats patoo what anyone does. It ain't my thing but I just don't care. I hunt for my enjoyment not anyone else. 

How's about a different scenario, what about hunting completely unpressured animals in a remote area that have never been in contact with a human. They have no fear and killing one might be easier than a HF operation. That's taking out difficulties traveling and all the other details. 

Lol, I'm going to assume my phone isn't picking up the sarcasm font.

Unless you can kill a deer in NY 2A, I'm not impressed. In 10 years we will all be killing deer with trail cameras instead of just snapping pics.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Exactly. This is why hunting shouldn't be a sport anymore. Naked with a spear is only fair.

See that wouldn't be fair to the deer if I hunted naked. Because I'd be scaring them to death! 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As someone that raises beef and shoots my share of deer I will say this I give away deer every year and I have yet to give away any beef and it's certainly not due to cost because I think beef is cheaper than I spend to kill deer. All around beef beats the hell out of venison any day.

Count me in when you give beef away.   A perfectly cooked bone in ribeye is as close to heaven as I have been.  I like venison too but it ain't no Ribeye. 

• Like 4

Unethical to use calls, scents, hunt from a tree, use anything but a spear or bare hands is also no good.  No camo, no guns, no unscented clothes?  Is this still a hunting forum or am I in the twilight zone?  Some of the comments are really funny on a hunting forum.  No HF or guided hunt, no blinds etc.  We could go on and on.  Wish it was just sarcasm!

Urban hunting:  Try stalking on less than 1 acre or even hiding on these properties with little to no vegetation or trees, not going to happen.  Put up a blind and the deer will avoid the area for a long time.  Your scent alone would give you up.

You want a real challenge?  If that is your game?  Come to the ADK park with a bare bow and I will guarantee you will be challenged just to see any deer while hunting.  (Deep woods)

Personally I have learned over the years that not everything is as black and white as we think it is.  Why not let the guy who has the money do a HF hunt?  After not seeing a deer for over 20 straight years of hunting you might do the same thing if you had and extra 10,000 to throw at a buck!  To some that is like us spending 10$ at a store.  No bid deal but the buck they get will be a huge deal for them!

Simply put not everybody has the same access to good hunting land, the willingness and ability to actually make themselves a better hunter and could care less about ethics or what weapon they use to kill.  (They work hard and have little time to become a good hunter.)  They just want a buck!   For many of us with good land access, knowledge of deer patterns and experience this is a simple task to get any deer but the average Joe with no help little experience can go many years with no sightings at all. 

Personally I just love being in the woods and chasing deer, challenge I want but not such a challenge that a good shot is not possible past 15 yards. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Unless you can kill a deer in NY 2A, I'm not impressed. In 10 years we will all be killing deer with trail cameras instead of just snapping pics.

Like I said, I'm not out to impress anyone. I gave that up after high school.

Besides, don't you hunt by hiding in a pop up blind? What's the diff?

• Like 2

There are as many reasons why and how we hunt as there are hunters. What works perfect for me may be a nightmare for someone else. But as long as you don't break any laws, it really is all good. I'll just go on hunting the way I do. And enjoy every minute of it.  And let everyone else do the same, and hope they enjoy it half as much as I do!

Venison or beef? I'll eat whatever is put in front of me, love it, rub my tummy and go take a nap.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

There are as many reasons why and how we hunt as there are hunters. What works perfect for me may be a nightmare for someone else. But as long as you don't break any laws, it really is all good. I'll just go on hunting the way I do. And enjoy every minute of it.  And let everyone else do the same, and hope they enjoy it half as much as I do!

Venison or beef? I'll eat whatever is put in front of me, love it, rub my tummy and go take a nap.

Stop being so rational and level headed Grampy.  By the way, Joel caught a 5lb large mouth today.  His biggest yet.  

• Like 5

Like I said, I'm not out to impress anyone. I gave that up after high school.
Besides, don't you hunt by hiding in a pop up blind? What's the diff?

2A or bust! I'll give you $10K if u can kill a spike or better there!