High Fence Deer Hunting

Core

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'm not knocking any method, just responding to Biz. I've hunted hogs in a pen, it's fun. Not a challenge but I don't think hog hunting anywhere is much of one and I'm not paying thousands to travel and get one.

I hunt my Hog Meat at either Tops or Wegman's !  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I was raised in a setting where any 8 point buck regardless of actual size was a real trophy. The more time spent in the woods was (and still is) part of the joy of being  out doors with friends, family and "nature (to sound a bit too tree huggerish ).

I guess that I am old fashioned when I still think the most important reason for deer hunting is for the meat. If just for the bones, it is just a show off. And yes, I have what would be considered a fair number of above average antler sets to show for it. But I also am just as happy to fill my freezer with a nice, fat doe.

I have no issue per say with the pay to hunt principal....I have been to New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Georgia for hunting opportunities I don't have here, and even though not high fence, principle I guess is really the same. I considered going to a NY based shooting preserve to shoot a bison....(even the owner didn't call it a hunt, it was a meat shoot...), for the excellent large supply of meat for a better than store bought beef price. But I never considered it a hunt.

What I have a problem with is folks under the guise of hunting trying like most every thing nowadays to finish the task as quick as possible with little effort, to show off animals artificially enhanced (however you want to call it...by introducing specialized gene lines for specific traits,, food products, nutrition, etc)  " freaks". Animals that are not typical of the species. Most of the trophy animals shown by these breeders to me are grotesque abominations of what a natural deer is, and just because it has outrageously proportioned antlers does NOT mean for a second it is good for the animal. Along with the antler traits, what other hidden traits are passed....The beef bred for quick fattening also has slower metabolism, prone to obesity, weak kidneys, etc. etc.

Nature is pretty damn good at taking care of its own. When we start messing with the way things are supposed to be, it is never good. (and please don't try to lecture on the genetics of disease resistance, etc. etc. this would get very long

• Like 1

High fence hunting is popular because of the trophy aspect the most hunters today feel they deserve. I think Fred bear said it best when it comes to trophy hunting.FB_IMG_1490920882190.jpg

If your hunt is about the trophy then it's not a hunt. If you pay to kill an animal inside a fence no matter how big the area is then your not a hunter. You are a shopper.

Think it still all boils down to what ever you like to do, as long as it is legal, no one should bash you for it... If you want to hunt public land with a stick bow, great... if you want to hunt HF with a rifle... cool... whatever trips your trigger.. if you don't like it, don't do it.   Everyone should just enjoy life as you see fit, don't hurt anyone, keep it legal and don't judge others... None of us are perfect and there is only 1 judge in the end... ;-)

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Think it still all boils down to what ever you like to do, as long as it is legal, no one should bash you for it... If you want to hunt public land with a stick bow, great... if you want to hunt HF with a rifle... cool... whatever trips your trigger.. if you don't like it, don't do it.   Everyone should just enjoy life as you see fit, don't hurt anyone, keep it legal and don't judge others... None of us are perfect and there is only 1 judge in the end... ;-)

Those that cant do like to belittle those that can. Such is Life.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, Grizz1219 said:

To a large extent, I agree with this, but I do recognize that any thinking person does have preferences and biases as to what feels right to them. I think it is not unusual for people to express those opinions, and on forums those expressions are kind of the point of the existence of forums. For example, I have no love for extreme canned hunts and I really don't like the fact that they are referred to as hunting. I don't even want to have that image pop into anyone's head when I say that I am a hunter. That is a most extreme example but to lesser extents there are many other opinions on various methods and techniques that I have some level of judgments on. Many of those things are legal, but I still have opinions on them. Speaking those opinions are how we conduct discussion. And that is the purpose of forums. Does all that involve "judgment"? Yes it does, and I think the activity of hunting will stay healthy as long as we all continue to apply some level of judgment to all things that are considered to be  apart of hunting. Legality is one level of judgment, but does not cover the entirety of our thinking. At one point or another everything was legal. The laws were formed only after expressions of opinions and judgments.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 3:20 AM, Doc said:

To a large extent, I agree with this, but I do recognize that any thinking person does have preferences and biases as to what feels right to them. I think it is not unusual for people to express those opinions, and on forums those expressions are kind of the point of the existence of forums. For example, I have no love for extreme canned hunts and I really don't like the fact that they are referred to as hunting. I don't even want to have that image pop into anyone's head when I say that I am a hunter. That is a most extreme example but to lesser extents there are many other opinions on various methods and techniques that I have some level of judgments on. Many of those things are legal, but I still have opinions on them. Speaking those opinions are how we conduct discussion. And that is the purpose of forums. Does all that involve "judgment"? Yes it does, and I think the activity of hunting will stay healthy as long as we all continue to apply some level of judgment to all things that are considered to be  apart of hunting. Legality is one level of judgment, but does not cover the entirety of our thinking. At one point or another everything was legal. The laws were formed only after expressions of opinions and judgments.

I think if you express your opinion and are not insulting someone else that is fine... Judging others because you don't like something is completely different.. Writing "I don't like HF hunting" is one thing... Writing "Anyone hunting a HF area is not a hunter" is judging someone... When you prove you are perfect in every way, then you can judge others... Till then, we are all better off with our opinions and not trying to make others conform to what someone believes to be "correct" in their mind... I don't like Dodge trucks... So is it OK for me to say "Anyone driving a Dodge is an idiot"??? Or anyone hunting with more than a single shot lacks shooting skills???  Of course not... Do people do it... Yup... Sad... I have mirrors in my house... I have a memory of my actions in my past... I'll not pass judgement on others based on those two things alone.. LOL... If we all did that there would be a lot more getting done in the name of hunting... But a good chunk of hunters/sportsmen bash segments of our society and the anti's play on those battles... We will not survive as islands.... A good phrase to remember.. 

• Like 5

It's legal to shoot a deer, tag it and let it rot- how many support that?

Some people just have a greater urge and ability to spend than aptitude to get off their ass....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gjs4 said:

It's legal to shoot a deer, tag it and let it rot- how many support that?

Some people just have a greater urge and ability to spend than aptitude to get off their ass....

Not sure about that. There was a guy in the town I lived in who left a legal deer hang in tree in back yard in till March when dec made him dispose of it and gave him a ticket for wanton waste. Now that was 15 years ago so could have changed.

Not sure about that. There was a guy in the town I lived in who left a legal deer hang in tree in back yard in till March when dec made him dispose of it and gave him a ticket for wanton waste. Now that was 15 years ago so could have changed.

Sadly a friend near Avon claims a farmer was doing that, had encon called, they said it was legit but a lousy practice. His goal was bring in predators for deer control and the fox population that they chase with horses.

11 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

I think if you express your opinion and are not insulting someone else that is fine... Judging others because you don't like something is completely different.. Writing "I don't like HF hunting" is one thing... Writing "Anyone hunting a HF area is not a hunter" is judging someone... When you prove you are perfect in every way, then you can judge others... Till then, we are all better off with our opinions and not trying to make others conform to what someone believes to be "correct" in their mind... I don't like Dodge trucks... So is it OK for me to say "Anyone driving a Dodge is an idiot"??? Or anyone hunting with more than a single shot lacks shooting skills???  Of course not... Do people do it... Yup... Sad... I have mirrors in my house... I have a memory of my actions in my past... I'll not pass judgement on others based on those two things alone.. LOL... If we all did that there would be a lot more getting done in the name of hunting... But a good chunk of hunters/sportsmen bash segments of our society and the anti's play on those battles... We will not survive as islands.... A good phrase to remember.. 

That is a good distinction to make. There is a difference between criticizing a practice, vs. criticizing participants. One gets into the realm of "personal attack". But we should never get into the mindset that because something is merely related to hunting we must bite our tongue and not express an opinion. That is not an act of supporting hunting or hunters. When we get to the point where we cannot speak our mind about various hunting practices, the benefits of discussion and improvements will be lost to us. That's something that I hope will never happen to hunters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

That is a good distinction to make. There is a difference between criticizing a practice, vs. criticizing participants. One gets into the realm of "personal attack". But we should never get into the mindset that because something is merely related to hunting we must bite our tongue and not express an opinion. That is not an act of supporting hunting or hunters. When we get to the point where we cannot speak our mind about various hunting practices, the benefits of discussion and improvements will be lost to us. That's something that I hope will never happen to hunters.

Sadly, I think a lot of it gets "personal".... look at the crossbow debate.... My god you would think they talked about each others mothers some of them... For me... I hunt the way I want to hunt.... I use a compound bow but a single shot rifle.. If someone wants to tote around a cross bow, it doesn't effect me personally.. But I won't be berated by a stick bow shooter.. if someone wants to shoot a bolt action rifle with a 4 round mag, have at it.. again.. doesn't effect me.. But flint lock hunters shouldn't attack me..  follow the rules, be a sportsmen, have good ethics... if you don't like something, say it but don't berate someone else for liking it if it is legal.. seems simple but as we've all seen here... not always the case.. I am guilty of not following it myself... As stated earlier, I have a mirror and I know my history, I'm trying to never judge anyone..... 

• Like 1

This thread puts me in mind of a great money-making opportunity. How about artificial antlers that any taxidermist can put on your buck (or doe)? There would be no need for expensive trips to any special out-of-state deer preserves. No exorbitant costs to grow fancy special custom manufactured deer. You can tell all your friends that you really did shoot the deer yourself and be telling the truth. With the materials they have available today for antler repair, it would be no trick at all to construct a full set of antlers as ridiculously huge as you wanted. Don't stop at a mere paltry 200" trophy. Fool all your friends, and become an instant hunter-hero in the neighborhood or hunting club. I can see it all now. A few hundred dollars plus the regular taxidermy fees, and you could have a trophy-of-a-lifetime proudly hanging on the wall for all to admire. It really is no different than going to the special deer preserve and getting set up with their version of trophy harvests except that you could do it on your favorite hunting grounds for a fraction of the cost and let the taxidermist do the real work for you. What do ya think?

All right!!! Now you're talking. There's a market out there for those kinds of racks. We need to get busy and capitalize on the trophy antler craze. I have an alternative to those crazy expensive trophy prices that they charge at the Canned Hunt Trophy Deer Ranch.

12 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Not a bit. Two different threads you comment about with very little knowledge of either?   Sure I could teach you the reality of both !

Ha ha ... and there is no doubt that in your mind you honestly believe all of that.

• Like 1

Great to see personal attacks can pull us away from the point. Let's re-center, thank the captive deer industry for cwd and get back to explaining why buying groceries with food stamps is the same as foraging...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gjs4 said:

Great to see personal attacks can pull us away from the point. Let's re-center, thank the captive deer industry for cwd and get back to explaining why buying groceries with food stamps is the same as foraging...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See that's where the problem sits. Posts like this that are far from proven facts put on the internet and then get disputed. If you want to get back on track at least make a post about the subject and something with facts!