Woodchuck Problem

Had a one digging holes along the sides of my shed right where the electric services runs into it and then continues on to the garage.  Well the garden is doing well and he moved to the back side of the garage right next to the gate going into the garden.  no electric service there but that bothered me enough.  connected multiple garden hoses together to reach over there.  got my Ruger 22LR pistol so i didn't pepper my siding or do significant damage to my garage foundation.  Turned on the hose to flood his hole and sure enough he came out one last time.

On another note hay fields are getting mowed on the farm.  Was just over there yesterday and took a few after an early dinner.  Seems there's never a shortage.  For those of you looking for an in to hunt property it's a good place to start and earn the landowners trust plus we can benefit from them being gone.  Great way to keep the rifle skills tuned for fall.  Perfect fun practice for youth too.

• Like 1

Just whacked one at 21 paces with .40 handgun. Carry ammo.....
.......loaded with fleas so quick pic n drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your idea better. chuck under my garage took my 22lr pistol rounds like a champ. In hind sight much rather have used a larger cal pistol of mine. Didn't think I needed it at the time. Did the job but I'd rather he be anchored in one shot. I've got +p+ hallow point FBI loads that would've worked. Theyve been sitting in my safe for years serving very little purpose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

204188406d9796ce093ffb1ccbe2106a.jpg&key=3a672f69658e115e99bf35b85d9d7b28a094c1a2810447366edeae0e4fb73a10

After shooting Prairie dogs at 400+ yds in Wyoming, I tried my hand at spot and stalk and got this one at about 20 yards.

I used a Ruger Mark III similar to that to take the one under the garage. Longer heavy barrel. Accurate though.
fb17e6638e92baefd2bb0056b3b06e3d.jpg

• Like 1

If anyone wants to take me chuck hunting the bullets and coffee are on me

Bullets I use are tough to find. I have plenty though. Bigger problem is you're the other side of the state. lol

• Like 1

I had a problem chuck undermining  my utility shed...I solved the problem with a  # 1 1/2 coil spring...

I had my S+W K-22, but I was worried about collateral damage from a pass through, so I  I used  my go-to tool for any difficult job,  a BFH ( Big ******* Hammer)..... Did the job very efficiently...<<grin>>....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I like your idea better. chuck under my garage took my 22lr pistol rounds like a champ. In hind sight much rather have used a larger cal pistol of mine. Didn't think I needed it at the time. Did the job but I'd rather he be anchored in one shot. I've got +p+ hallow point FBI loads that would've worked. Theyve been sitting in my safe for years serving very little purpose.

Glad I am not the only one to experience this. I generally crack 3 or 4 each summer, the neighbor has a colony in his yard, and they test the waters every so often and come over to my yard. I don't especially like shooting anything that I won't eat (I will eat them early or late in the summer, but don't want to mess with them once it's in the 80s-90s), but they were out-of-control when I moved in, so I keep thinning out any that wander in.

Anyway...first few I shot, I body shot with a .22 LR from a rifle..rolled them they got back up & ran. I had a tough time believing this, so I got a .22 mag...same results, I'd make them flip or roll, but they'd get back up & die in their hole or under my shed..resulted in a dead woodchuck anyway, but I hate making anything suffer. Started taking head or neck shots only after that. Shot a few with my crossbow also, but that's a waste of a good arrow & broadhead. I'd estimate I've killed 50 or so in the 15 years I've lived here.

I used a Ruger Mark III similar to that to take the one under the garage. Longer heavy barrel. Accurate though.
fb17e6638e92baefd2bb0056b3b06e3d.jpg&key=14f36a33f2ec7c7a04a4678c8372d828eb1d00163ea2214391fc06c2ede511b0

Nice. It wasn't my gun, and actually the first and last time i shot it. It was one of the guide's guns.

54 minutes ago, BigVal said:

We used to shoot them with any round right up to 300 win mag, I grew a soft spot in my old age . That was when I was about 16 now I'm 23 and haven't shot one in years. 

Twenty THREE  ??   Holy crap, Val,  I've got JOCKEY SHORTS older than that !!.......<<grin>>.....

• Like 9

14 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

In my youth I roamed around my Dad's farm and surrounding properties hunting woodchucks...I remember the year I was 16  I killed 75 of them, mostly with the .22 LR.  I owned a .222 rem at the the time, but ammo for it cost $3.15 for 20 rounds and I could get a box of 50 .22LRHP for  85 cents.

I learned early that .22LR solids would not anchor a woodchuck unless you got a CNS ( brain or spine)  hit..

LR hollow points, however would stop a chuck in his tracks as long as you got a solid hit in the forward half of his body.  A gut shot would still allow the critter to get to his den..  I recovered a few of those hollowpoints from under the skin on the far side of the chuck.

They were usually perfect little mushrooms.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Nope, I only tried that once, Moogie...

The Mermaid gave me hell for leaving skidmarks on my good jeans...

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

They last that long only because you prefer going commando Dan!

Nonsense Moog.  Without them where would he stash ammo for a gun fight, if he forgets to leave his house with pants on in the morning?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I had a problem chuck undermining  my utility shed...I solved the problem with a  # 1 1/2 coil spring...

I had my S+W K-22, but I was worried about collateral damage from a pass through, so I  I used  my go-to tool for any difficult job,  a BFH ( Big ******* Hammer)..... Did the job very efficiently...<<grin>>....

I did the same thing last year. I have a shooting range in my back yard, but the woodchuck starts digging under the shop in my front yard where it's unsafe to shoot. I think they know...

Well, let me tell you this morning's story..

I went up to the property to see if the chuck den under the shed was still active after catching the one there yesterday..

I carried my  K-22 revolver...Sure enough, the den had been dug back out again, and lo and behold, there was a woodchuck peering out from the den entrance..

Using  my John Deere compact tractor for cover, I snuck up on the den...Chuckie's head was still sticking out of his den, so I rested the revolver on one of the arms of the front end loader on the JD and squeezed one off..I heard a funny ZING noise, and the woodchuck withdrew into the den, obviously unhit..

I looked at the other arm of the front end loader and found where my bullet had barely grazed it, taking off a chip of paint about the size of my thumbnail....Then I looked the door of my utility shed...The bullet had deflected and keyholed through the door of the shed, about three feet over the woodchuck's head...I have not yet found what damage it may have caused inside the shed....<<cringe>>...

• Like 3

Well, let me tell you this morning's story..
I went up to the property to see if the chuck den under the shed was still active after catching the one there yesterday..
I carried my  K-22 revolver...Sure enough, the den had been dug back out again, and lo and behold, there was a woodchuck peering out from the den entrance..
Using  my John Deere compact tractor for cover, I snuck up on the den...Chuckie's head was still sticking out of his den, so I rested the revolver on one of the arms of the front end loader on the JD and squeezed one off..I heard a funny ZING noise, and the woodchuck withdrew into the den, obviously unhit..
I looked at the other arm of the front end loader and found where my bullet had barely grazed it, taking off a chip of paint about the size of my thumbnail....Then I looked the door of my utility shed...The bullet had deflected and keyholed through the door of the shed, about three feet over the woodchuck's head...I have not yet found what damage it may have caused inside the shed....>...

Haha, I have ricocheted my share of bullets of different parts of tractors that's for sure!

• Like 1

I went back up later to reset my trap....This time I took my HR Handi rifle in .17 Mach II...

Silly woodchuck was peeking out of the den again....BINGO !!

It was an adult female, so I reset the trap in anticipation of catching another kit or two....

One nice thing about the .17 cals...You don't have to worry much about pass throughs...

• Like 4