Woodchuck Problem

19 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Well, let me tell you this morning's story..

I went up to the property to see if the chuck den under the shed was still active after catching the one there yesterday..

I carried my  K-22 revolver...Sure enough, the den had been dug back out again, and lo and behold, there was a woodchuck peering out from the den entrance..

Using  my John Deere compact tractor for cover, I snuck up on the den...Chuckie's head was still sticking out of his den, so I rested the revolver on one of the arms of the front end loader on the JD and squeezed one off..I heard a funny ZING noise, and the woodchuck withdrew into the den, obviously unhit..

I looked at the other arm of the front end loader and found where my bullet had barely grazed it, taking off a chip of paint about the size of my thumbnail....Then I looked the door of my utility shed...The bullet had deflected and keyholed through the door of the shed, about three feet over the woodchuck's head...I have not yet found what damage it may have caused inside the shed....<<cringe>>...

i know a guy that rested his deer rifle on the bed of his pickup truck.  aimed through his scope and across the bed at the deer. squeezed off the shot and heard a loud tong sound.  bullet stuck stretching and pushing out the sheet metal on the other side of the truck bed.  funny story but you laugh your &%$ off every time he pulls into a driveway to chat and word around town has the people looking before he utters a word.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Well, let me tell you this morning's story..

I went up to the property to see if the chuck den under the shed was still active after catching the one there yesterday..

I carried my  K-22 revolver...Sure enough, the den had been dug back out again, and lo and behold, there was a woodchuck peering out from the den entrance..

Using  my John Deere compact tractor for cover, I snuck up on the den...Chuckie's head was still sticking out of his den, so I rested the revolver on one of the arms of the front end loader on the JD and squeezed one off..I heard a funny ZING noise, and the woodchuck withdrew into the den, obviously unhit..

I looked at the other arm of the front end loader and found where my bullet had barely grazed it, taking off a chip of paint about the size of my thumbnail....Then I looked the door of my utility shed...The bullet had deflected and keyholed through the door of the shed, about three feet over the woodchuck's head...I have not yet found what damage it may have caused inside the shed....<<cringe>>...

I had a Jeep pickup in the 1970's with a few bullet creases across the hood. Always remember that the barrel is 1 1/2" below the scope's line of sight. ;-]

You beat me to it db!!

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, philoshop said:

I had a Jeep pickup in the 1970's with a few bullet creases across the hood. Always remember that the barrel is 1 1/2" below the scope's line of sight. ;-]

You beat me to it db!!

all that matters is it wasn't my truck and i wasn't doing the shooting! haha

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

all that matters is it wasn't my truck and i wasn't doing the shooting! haha

It was a work truck, plain and simple. Body parts fell off on a regular basis because it was, after all, a Jeep. I ended up selling it when it wouldn't pass inspection due to missing sheet metal. The guy who bought it still uses it as a tractor/firewood hauler. It's now 45+ years old.

• Like 2

It was a work truck, plain and simple. Body parts fell off on a regular basis because it was, after all, a Jeep. I ended up selling it when it wouldn't pass inspection due to missing sheet metal. The guy who bought it still uses it as a tractor/firewood hauler. It's now 45+ years old.

Yea seemed that way with old scouts turning into plow trucks that never leave the property.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more on a quick outing. Might be at the farm tomorrow checking cams and getting some stuff done. Seems like I should be able to sneak out quick for some more chucks. We'll see.
147e581679a63ea3c9ee52030de967cf.jpg

• Like 3

At the farm right now. Got 3 more. One I popped upright on yhw side of a steep weeded knoll. Got over there and no idea where it flopped in the scope. I think rolled off the dirt mound down into some thick berry bushes below. These two were out in the hay though.
65a7e4ed38456d8ee9cc0d0f575e1283.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

Havent been out alot but action has been good!

20170608_201608.jpg

20170711_203359.jpg

Just wondering what you do with them...do you eat them or leave them out for critters to have a snack? Alot of woodchuck there, nice shooting.

23 minutes ago, greg54 said:

Just wondering what you do with them...do you eat them or leave them out for critters to have a snack? Alot of woodchuck there, nice shooting.

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"......Josey Wales....

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from a work weekend.I had to take out another chuck all i had was my 9mm .It's woodchuck war i'll never go up with out a long gun again.i can't dig two feet without hitting a rock those s.o.b's are tunneling all over the place.

Grant Woods eats his...not sure if site has a recipe..they are grass fed so people say they are good eating...I  drove past one of the bigger ones we have..he was peacefully sitting on the rocks in culvert, no blood no open wounds looked like he was sleeping...must have ran into a tire...drove past him again on way home ..flies had found him..next day..something else took him.

I have shot many chucks and used to leave them out for the buzzards but after talking to people about the buzzards and how I don't see them anymore ,I cover the chucks with rocks to keep the buzzards from eating them . Seems that lead poisoning may be the culprit. Don't know for sure but it could be ....

13 minutes ago, hunterman7956 said:

I have shot many chucks and used to leave them out for the buzzards but after talking to people about the buzzards and how I don't see them anymore ,I cover the chucks with rocks to keep the buzzards from eating them . Seems that lead poisoning may be the culprit. Don't know for sure but it could be ....

i typically toss them into the hedge rows of the fields.  something always finds them but birds of prey not so much.  doesn't seem to be much of a concern with other predators.

• 2 weeks later...

So few days ago u had another chuck move in. Digging holes under everything. Got home from work still in dress clothes. Pulled a couple veggies from the garden and noticed him under the shed. Went inside grabbed more HP than the 22lr pistol. Worked around backside of my garage and then posted up at its corner for a good hold. He came back out for another view and it was over. Filled the holes in beat I could. Shed floor is elevated and hole is under the center of it.
ca594eb0a60f9800dea6c6db7933238b.jpg8cc3d74cf55d7e2d102948fef6cdda85.jpg

• Like 2

Ours den up in the woods...especially around the beech trees....I can tell in the spring where there is a den because you can see all the beech saplings they girdled all winter around the den sight...it sticks out in the woods especially in a deep snow year....

This year none on the cams and no sightings other then the one dead in our ditch....but with the crazy amount of fox on the property I'm not surprised...I't's GREAT they hunt my garden every night...We use to have the WORST vole problem...I could literally spend an hour 2x's a week going out and stomping vole in the garden...When We had Bear(dog) he would go vole hunting with me..he'd toss them in the air and catch them ...down the shoot whole...we wormed him often...lol

This weekend I was at the farm. Was told a chuck headed across the road into a recently cut hay field. Grabbed the gun and found it or one near it. Exit hole as always was crazy. Whole right side of his head is gone. Hornady 60gr vmax never let me down and about as humane as it gets.
8ece6747de8761a329ccbe2d0e00781d.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Would a 110 conibear do the trick there's another one under my house. He was loungeing on my front step when I got here last nite. I don't want to spend all weekend looking him. I figured I can put the trap over the hole.
Use a 160...largest trap to be legally set on land a 110 won't do it...IMO

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Out at the farm on Thursday. Took two more. One was a long shot. Didn't get to it to take a picture. This one was about a 100 yards but disappeared. Had to confirm despite it felt good. Holy there was holes every where in that spot of the field. Probably more that I need to go back for.
f09712b63b7b438f7c2d35119a8360a4.jpg

• Like 1