Lifetime hunter...

Borngeechee

Hell YES !!  I wish I had been smart enough to buy mine at that age...It costs me close to $100 a year for my hunting priveledges...

Go for it, Born...Unless you get run over by a truck in the next 5 or six years, you'll be money ahead before you know it..

• Like 4

100% worth it at 40 if you plan on hunting in NYS  , only down side now is you need to pay ten bucks for a doe permit if you choose to get one. I got mine 20+ years ago and doe permits are grandfathered in and are free. Every year with out fail I have to show whomever is issuing licenses that they are free for me...

• Like 1

Go for it! I got mine with highschool graduation money 20 years ago, talk about a smart move! Even smarter was adding archery and muzzleloader during my first year at my first job after college. I bought my older son his right before the last price hike when he was 3. Now I need to get my other son his yet.

• Like 1

Under the current rates, if you hunt every year for the next 18-19 years, you'll break even.  Every years after that is free.  Now that under the current rates.  You don't think they won't hike up the price every so often?  Buy it.  It's a no brainer.  Heck, I haven't gotten around to it yet but I plan on buying it for my 3 year old son too even if for some reason he decides he won't hunt it's worth the gamble.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 8:44 AM, Lawdwaz said:

I'd still like to know (just for chits & giggles) the history of the Lifetime License program.  When it started, how much it was at the time etc.

Cash reward for those that come up with the answer........... :)

I got mine  the second year it was implemented if I recall. I actually was trying to find the  year myself. I believe I was 17 so that would be 25 years ago 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 5:32 PM, diplomat019 said:

If you purchase a lifetime license and move out of New York state is it still valid? Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge of this

Yes.  I purchased one in 2003, I think, and moved to OH in 2005.  It shows up every year in my OH mailbox.  Not only that, I can add to the privileges just as if I were a resident. Got an email from the DEC on that question.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, once the kid is old enough they can take the course. After that you prove to the DEC they have the certification, then they will start sending the the license every year by mail like they do for everyone else.

25 minutes ago, E J said:

If I remember correctly, once the kid is old enough they can take the course. After that you prove to the DEC they have the certification, then they will start sending the the license every year by mail like they do for everyone else.

correct