• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of fern problems. Has anyone tried spraying arrest max or slay? Controlled burn? I had about 30% percent success of what I was hoping for. Plot was an annual so I will be replanting in September. Looking for best advice how to dispatch of ferns but not by hand.

20170702_153725.jpg

Apple clover plot doing great with ferns closing in from the outside, I haven't been to camp in over a month to clear ferns due to wife being 8.5 months pregnant, Pics taken by my cousin 3299a0f6282768672a55da6a82018491.jpg056343dcba530b07aa01798241b5c452.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They over take a food plot and offer no nutritional value I'm having similar issues

Oh ok, I plant on my land where There are NO ferns so don't have that issue I guess.

8 hours ago, Belo said:

throw and grow what? i noticed my first plot of clover only really took off when i mowed it. killed off the taller broadleaf weeds and let the clover come in nice and thick.and if you can't mow, maybe weed wack? again this was for clover though.

i mixed a bag of there evolved harvest original with extreme radish.It had a bunch of clover growing in it.heading up in a few weeks to see how it looks.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:28 AM, growalot said:

When they are up above your plot plans take a 1 ft deep by how ever wide is comfortable for you rag, staple to a rod and wet,not dripping with round up. Then brush it onver the tops of ferns.

missed this i'm going to try it on the one plot and reseed.

Fens are pernennials.  They grow slower than annuals. 

Sounds like your a weekender.   Spray Friday night, then sunday morning scratch or till and seed.

Annuals choke out perennials due to faster growth.

I'd go for a cereal grain and maybe add turnips and or red clover.  If looking to make a clover plot for a few years, buy roughly 4lbs of extra clover per acre to frost seed.

If spraying roundup, consider adding 2,4D amine.  The combination of the two general kills anything it touches

metsulfuron is the best chemical according to cornell....

Kill, till, then annual chokes it out............

since the ferns are doing good, I would imagine you do not till that area.  A poor mans drag is a bunch of bolts through the bottom of an tire.  An established clover plot of regular mowing and spraying would also fix that.  Clover is a faster growing penennial that gets hit by glyphosphate (roundup) but doesn't kill the roots.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 4:31 AM, sailinghudson25 said:

Fens are pernennials.  They grow slower than annuals. 

Sounds like your a weekender.   Spray Friday night, then sunday morning scratch or till and seed.

Annuals choke out perennials due to faster growth.

I'd go for a cereal grain and maybe add turnips and or red clover.  If looking to make a clover plot for a few years, buy roughly 4lbs of extra clover per acre to frost seed.

If spraying roundup, consider adding 2,4D amine.  The combination of the two general kills anything it touches

metsulfuron is the best chemical according to cornell....

Kill, till, then annual chokes it out............

since the ferns are doing good, I would imagine you do not till that area.  A poor mans drag is a bunch of bolts through the bottom of an tire.  An established clover plot of regular mowing and spraying would also fix that.  Clover is a faster growing penennial that gets hit by glyphosphate (roundup) but doesn't kill the roots.

Roundup is the only answer I have had. Spray and replant two weeks later. 

• 3 weeks later...