2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

57 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

We got a bunch of yellow tail snapper, grunts and that red guy in the pick, not sure what he was. Also my son got a nice lemon shark to cap off the day.

20170625_142840.jpg

20170625_112611.jpg

VERY cool...looks like  you are having fun...Are those fish good eating ?   I know that snappers are delicious, but what about the other species ?

I am envious...I love to catch species of fish that I have never caught before, regardless of the species...Your son must be having a ball..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

VERY cool...looks like  you are having fun...Are those fish good eating ?   I know that snappers are delicious, but what about the other species ?

I am envious...I love to catch species of fish that I have never caught before, regardless of the species...Your son must be having a ball..

We just came back from a restraunt that cooked our yellowtail snapper. It was phenomenal. The grunts are good eating. I let the big eye go (the red one) because I had no idea what it was. Turns out it was a keeper and are supposed to b very good eating. We have caught 4 different species of shark this trip, firsts for all of us. Most likely just doing shore fishing the rest of our time here.

55 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

We just came back from a restraunt that cooked our yellowtail snapper. It was phenomenal. The grunts are good eating. I let the big eye go (the red one) because I had no idea what it was. Turns out it was a keeper and are supposed to b very good eating. We have caught 4 different species of shark this trip, firsts for all of us. Most likely just doing shore fishing the rest of our time here.

You renting a boat, or doing some day charters? Looks like a blast.

10 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Not a vermilion, it's a big eye...the dorsal and anal fin give it away. It took sometime for me to find it. 

it's been awhile since i've been down there to hot. Any luck catching a blacktip shark there really good eating fish.

I went out this morning to kayak fish on the north shore of L.I. The area has produced some BIG blues and stripers, and when I can't locate either I porgy fish. That particular area has been a little slow recently so I went out to see what was there, but catch and release porgys were my thought.

Plenty of adult bunker around with nothing on them. So I rigged for porgy. The tide was not good for them in my "hotspots", but I paddled and rigged and dropped my line anyway. (My first spot is under an osprey nest and mamma didn't like that I was there and let me know it. I didn't want to disturb her so I went to spot #2.)

The porgies were there and I got a number of them. I like to eat them, but just didn't want to fillet them today. Some were pretty good size.

I also got some sea robins.

It was a beautiful day and paddled about 3 miles. Lots of crows, as usual and redtails soaring and sceaming.(.I love a redtail call.) Also, ospreys all around.

I took pictures of one average porgy for the day and a sea robin.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Water Rat said:

What's that swimming on the surface ?

Looks like a side planer.....It pulls your lure away from the boat and out over deeper (or shallower if you want) water and away from boat and motor noise.