2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

How about the river?

Was thinking about it but casting structures and hang ups for daughter would be a challenge. I can see myself re tying her line quite often and not fishing myself.
May wade the Little Buffalo for some holdover stockers for the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The wind was supposed to pick up so I took the kayak for a shorter run and easy fishing on the north shore of L.I.

I trolled to my porgy spot and picked up a small striper Then dropped bait for easy fishing and got some nice porgies, and a few sea robins.

I got 1 fluke and took 2 pictures. One picture is deceiving and it might look like he jumped. Fluke don't jump so it's just him thrashing around and me lifting him up with the rod. The wind did pick up and I had to paddle for about 1 mile against wind and current so I ended the day early. I released everything

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1306.jpg

• Like 4

Got out today at the same pond as yesterday and caught 3 more carp and hooked 2 more. I even got a quick video of my fighting it with my 5wt. I only got pics of the first and third fish but the third was the biggest. It's a small pond so I've only seen one or two that a bigger than the third one.
IMG_5499.thumb.JPG.6112e1985ce368b7d4452IMG_5502.thumb.JPG.288c91481835584c26787IMG_5509.thumb.JPG.2488cfb222d3e8e533aeb

• Like 3

Still not too big on pond fishing or even freshwater fishing, but the fluke fishing has been pretty slow so I'm just targeting them while waiting for that to eventually heat up. Probably won't get out there again for a while since my summer class starts soon

Got out today at the same pond as yesterday and caught 3 more carp and hooked 2 more. I even got a quick video of my fighting it with my 5wt. I only got pics of the first and third fish but the third was the biggest. It's a small pond so I've only seen one or two that a bigger than the third one.
IMG_5499.JPGIMG_5502.JPGIMG_5509.JPG

Tell us your setup for carp wouldya? I've got a pondful around the corner I'd love to get
One on the 4wt

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And get on the Grasse river for bass . Always hook up with a huge musky fishing for bass too Have a canoe ? Easy fishing

No canoe, but I'm sure the fishing is good from the bank while wading. Thanks for the suggestions 

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Tell us your setup for carp wouldya? I've got a pondful around the corner I'd love to get
One on the 4wt

Sure no problem. All I was using was a foam fly that I tied. Same foam you would use for a hopper or ant fly with the only difference in it being white. I tied it on a 2x size 14 wet fly hook from orvis. 4x tippet was all I needed to bring them in with zero worry of the line breaking. Only thing that caused me to loose a couple was if they wrapped around a branch underwater. I never had to set the hook because they always took the fly and turned so the pressure of the drag was enough to hook it for me. These guys fight like bull dogs so its pretty fun. One other guy was fly fishing and he used the same fly as me but had a 4wt instead of a 5. Have at it and tell me how you do. 

I should say that i took a few old bagel pieces and threw them around to some what chum the area before throwing a fly in. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Still not too big on pond fishing or even freshwater fishing, but the fluke fishing has been pretty slow so I'm just targeting them while waiting for that to eventually heat up. Probably won't get out there again for a while since my summer class starts soon

what kind of fly are you using i didn't know they hit flies.i'd like to give it a shot.

never mind i see you answered that already thanks

Edited by rachunter
  • Like 1

I used to carp fish in a VERY small pond near my house. mostly with spinning gear, but also , at times, with the fly rod. It was sight fishing..I did best with hook and bait using my spinning rod, but did o.k. with the fly set up.

I tied some yellow thread into a small ball and chummed with corn. When I saw the carp eating corn I'd cast the fly into it.

I also fished under a mulberry tree, in that pond, because the carp were always eating the berries as they went into the water..I tied  a small clump of deer hair about the size of a mulberry and cheated by squashing a mulberry onto the fly. They'd hit the "fly" take me right into the backing on the 1st run. .. I "think" that I used a size 4 hook for the "mulberry fly".

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that the carp were line shy.

Every year I think about going for carp again, but my favorite lake has pickerel and largemouth and I can't seem to make the time to rig up for carp there.

I remember catching carp on two consecutive casts, in Dunkirk harbor on lake Erie about 20 years ago, on light spinning tackle and a 1/4 oz chartruse Mr twister jig.  The first one was about a 5 pounder.  Had I not just caught that smaller one, I would have wondered what I had on for a long time after hooking the next, much larger one (about 25-30 pounds).   There was about 20 minutes of tug-o-war before it tired enough against my 6 pound line, so that I could get a look at it.   I remember chasing it around the harbor with my electric trolling motor to keep from getting spooled.  It was not real fast like a king salmon or a musky, just strong, so I could keep up with it with that.  Those were the only ones that I ever caught on lures.  I caught a few on worms, when I was a kid, in the creek behind our house.    

• Like 1

Sure no problem. All I was using was a foam fly that I tied. Same foam you would use for a hopper or ant fly with the only difference in it being white. I tied it on a 2x size 14 wet fly hook from orvis. 4x tippet was all I needed to bring them in with zero worry of the line breaking. Only thing that caused me to loose a couple was if they wrapped around a branch underwater. I never had to set the hook because they always took the fly and turned so the pressure of the drag was enough to hook it for me. These guys fight like bull dogs so its pretty fun. One other guy was fly fishing and he used the same fly as me but had a 4wt instead of a 5. Have at it and tell me how you do. 
I should say that i took a few old bagel pieces and threw them around to some what chum the area before throwing a fly in. 

Sight fishing? Do you just lay it on the water ahead of them and watch them take it?

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Sight fishing? Do you just lay it on the water ahead of them and watch them take it?

That's exactly what I did. Throw a few pieces out and wait for them to take. When you see they're starting to eat the bread, then you throw your fly and wait. You have to really pay attention because sometimes its very subtle sometimes. 

• Like 1

I used to carp fish in a VERY small pond near my house. mostly with spinning gear, but also , at times, with the fly rod. It was sight fishing..I did best with hook and bait using my spinning rod, but did o.k. with the fly set up.
I tied some yellow thread into a small ball and chummed with corn. When I saw the carp eating corn I'd cast the fly into it.
I also fished under a mulberry tree, in that pond, because the carp were always eating the berries as they went into the water..I tied  a small clump of deer hair about the size of a mulberry and cheated by squashing a mulberry onto the fly. They'd hit the "fly" take me right into the backing on the 1st run. .. I "think" that I used a size 4 hook for the "mulberry fly".
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that the carp were line shy.
Every year I think about going for carp again, but my favorite lake has pickerel and largemouth and I can't seem to make the time to rig up for carp there.

Funny you should mention that because there is a mulberry tree on the pond I fish as well. I was told when they're dropping the carp won't touch anything that doesn't look like a mulberry.

That's how it was on that little pond. In fact, the reason that I fished for carp there was because I stopped to look at the pond and watched the carp  just milling around and eating the berries after they fell into the water. They seemed to be just focused on the mulberries. I keep records of most of my fishing/hunting days and I remember recording 9 in one day, but that was not on a fly. It was mulberries on a hook.

When I did the "corn fly" it was not near the mulberry tree, and I did not see any berries by the tree. I think that it was the time of year when the mulberries hadn't come out yet.

I used to have some good, small pond, carp spots where I could sight fish for them, and even shot some with a bow in one of those ponds. However, as the years went by I checked those ponds and they dried up.

Where I bass/pickerel fish there are some guys who fish for them a lot. They use long rods and have a bell attached. They get some nice ones. They eat them.. yuck !! When I was a kid, we fished for carp all the time and I ate one once, it was horrible. I'd rather eat a brant ! I kept some, at times, because I would use them for crabbing for blueclaws. They worked good( I rememkber that they were full of mulberries)