2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

3 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Does anyone here bow fish for carp?  I may be interested in trying that

Bowfishing for carp is like flyfishing! It is super addicting!! Get yourself a new setup with a spool. I was using the drum style last year (thats what I was brought up on) and had one come back and smash my hip. I have a nice scar from that one.

6 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Bowfishing for carp is like flyfishing! It is super addicting!! Get yourself a new setup with a spool. I was using the drum style last year (thats what I was brought up on) and had one come back and smash my hip. I have a nice scar from that one.

Wow!  I guess that could happen.. I get the addicting part also... love shooting the bow.  I am going to start my research of equipment!

Wow!  I guess that could happen.. I get the addicting part also... love shooting the bow.  I am going to start my research of equipment!

Same friend also uses primitive bow to bow fish. Aim low I know as refraction of water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Did a ton of rowing today 8-11am. Dad got 2 bass, I got 4 bass and 1 lake trout. All released. Now onto yardwork (real reason I took off work to get yard ready for big party tomorrow).

ad50e1f746e978f16971961402e22848.jpg

2ff0ae3394bbf48dd45e34768c68d70e.jpg

f42448cbc1e2575539dc0944d639a716.jpg

21a915b6e566ec7760dbe3a86cd13cfc.jpg

5d547e231d25d6f3c40b1e195d6ceb6f.jpg

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Did a ton of rowing today 8-11am. Dad got 2 bass, I got 4 bass and 1 lake trout. All released. Now onto yardwork (real reason I took off work to get yard ready for big party tomorrow).

ad50e1f746e978f16971961402e22848.jpg

2ff0ae3394bbf48dd45e34768c68d70e.jpg

f42448cbc1e2575539dc0944d639a716.jpg

21a915b6e566ec7760dbe3a86cd13cfc.jpg

5d547e231d25d6f3c40b1e195d6ceb6f.jpg

Nice fish, Guys!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

TF and I are taking our girls for panfish today, mods please free up some server space for photos

Go get em gents.  I should say ladies.  They better out fish Dad.  It's the rule 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

We did ok the last few weeks, but could use about (3) more quart packages of bass fillets in the freezer.   Hopefully the wind and rain stay down Monday morning out on lake Erie.   My older daughter was on the fence, but I talked her into going with an offer of $5 per hour as first mate, with a bonus of $1 per "keeper sized" (12-18") bass.   She jumped right on that deal.      

We did ok the last few weeks, but could use about (3) more quart packages of bass fillets in the freezer.   Hopefully the wind and rain stay down Monday morning out on lake Erie.   My older daughter was on the fence, but I talked her into going with an offer of $5 per hour as first mate, with a bonus of $1 per "keeper sized" (12-18") bass.   She jumped right on that deal.      

Where ya been fishing Erie ? How ya fishing it ? Been too windy for us lately but hoping to get out there soon.

27 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Where ya been fishing Erie ? How ya fishing it ? Been too windy for us lately but hoping to get out there soon.

I have not been out there since fathers day and it was very windy that day.  We launched out of small boat harbor and got (6) "keepers" (five smallies and one LM) inside the black-rock canal along the outer wall (the wind was not so bad there).   I usually fish jigs if the wind is not too bad, or troll large hot-n-tots if it picks up a bit.   

We spent a day in the Adirondacks and most of the first week on the St Lawrence, getting mostly smallies on jigs and LM on wacky rigged plastic worms and spinnerbaits.    As a man over 50, the state advisory allows me to eat one meal per month of fish from up there, so I am definitely set for the year.  Women and children are not supposed to have any however (I suppose it has something to do with mercury or lead).  That is why I am hoping to secure a few more packs of Lake Erie bass, which the rest of the family is "allowed" to eat.   They all love fish.  It gives them a nice change from all the venison I suppose.   

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't buy those mercury studies. My understanding is they test the entire fish and if they only tested the fillets it there would be a fraction of the contaminants. Maybe someone with some knowledge can weigh in

I don't know but buddy headed the clean up years ago of where Reynolds Wrap did a number on the St Lawrence. Billion dollar project or some crazy amount. 

I've eaten a few fish out of Lake Ontario years back. Supposed to be mercury ridden there too. I now make a great thermometer and can guess the temperature pretty accurately 

• Like 4

I don't know but buddy headed the clean up years ago of where Reynolds Wrap did a number on the St Lawrence. Billion dollar project or some crazy amount. 
I've eaten a few fish out of Lake Ontario years back. Supposed to be mercury ridden there too. I now make a great thermometer and can guess the temperature pretty accurately 

I try not to be a bragger but I'm pretty sure I would be looking down with a sh!t eating grin if my obituary says "died from catching and eating too many fish!"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't buy those mercury studies. My understanding is they test the entire fish and if they only tested the fillets it there would be a fraction of the contaminants. Maybe someone with some knowledge can weigh in

A lot of the mercury can be avoided by cutting out the belly meat in a fillet. While it may be the best part of the fillet, its where most of the contaminants are stored in a fish.